Search

infants no longer allowed to preboard

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HongKonger
+1000

Screw all of them even if he cried a little. DL allows children in F/J. Anyone who doesn't like it should ask DL to change their policy or take a private jet.
Agreed. I used to feel insecure when we first started to fly with our infant, but now that shes 9 months old I am much more used to it. We have been upgraded several times with her in arms in FC and she has fussed a bit but no major meltdowns. I don't even notice annoyed businessman anymore that might care if she cries. We were all babies once and its not really an issue and most normal people understand.

This issue really just seems like a technicality with families with infants in arms perhaps interferring with wheelchair boarding or something...just confusing and likely to cause many, many, many confused new parents...
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by APFPilot1985
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmith50

Having flown with my children when they were infants, I certainly see the value in being able to fly with a child in lap. As long as the FAA considers this safe, it certainly is more cost effective than purchasing a seat for a child who will undoubtedly spend half the flight or more out of the seat and in a parent's lap eating, sleeping, etc.

On the other hand, I am ardently opposed to Gordon's Gin. Perhaps pilots could help us with that problem which I see as much worse than a lap child!

The FAA doesn't consider it safe they consider it less risky. The NTSB has had it on their most wanted list for years that the FAA mandate child restraints in aircraft. For me the little bit of cost is worth it since even in a survivable crash a lap child most likely isn't going to make it.
Nothing is "safe." There are only levels of risk.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:51 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Prez; Former UA GS
Why not just ask...

Why not just ask for pre-boarding?

If you need extra time then ask to board early. The agent will likely ask why you need to board early, but you seem to have a good reason.

Granted, I've only ever asked to pre-board once but was able to do without issue (no child was involved either).
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond
In ATL last week I overheard part of a conversation between two parents with a car seat and the GA as they were starting to board the flight. The GA said something about the FAA having a new rule about pre-boarding and wouldn't let the parents on. Not sure what the exact situation was.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
The issue is simple...most people currently assume that parents with infants and small children board first. If this has now changed as of last week per the gate agent, then the specifics of the change need to be announced so there is not mass confusion on every Delta flight. Poor communication on Delta's part if you ask me
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by APFPilot1985
best way to handle this is to just buy a ticket for the kiddo. I am ardently opposed to lap children.
You don't want to see babies crashing into the ceiling. Your arms aren't going to protect a baby if there is strong turbulence or the plane drops due to hitting an air pocket. A mommy's arms are not a protective restraint system. The parents wear seat belts; lap babies don't have that protection.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by Asiaflyguy
...<snip>
the freaking DM upgrade whores ...<end snip>
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
The only positive to me is that it was in the middle of the afternoon. At least it was not the 6 AM or 11 PM flight. I cannot for the life of me understand why people with children would fly that early or that late.
Because sometimes, with connections, this is the option. If you need to fly coast to coast and have to change through a hub, this may be your only realistic option.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Analise
You don't want to see babies crashing into the ceiling. Your arms aren't going to protect a baby if there is strong turbulence or the plane drops due to hitting an air pocket. A mommy's arms are not a protective restraint system. The parents wear seat belts; lap babies don't have that protection.
Nope. but babies need attention and want attention. They will be in their mother or father's lap throughout the flight anyway.

You will see someday if you are ever fortunate to have kids.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:56 pm

[/QUOTE] Originally Posted by donb25
You must remember we are in a different time now. Different caliber and class of people populate the sky's and lounges these days. Have you been in a SC recently? Remember, those people eventually make their way to the Jetway lol.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, and back then, they also used to know what apostrophes were for. But then, as you say, a different class of people.

Last edited by flyerslc; Aug 29, 2013 at 9:08 pm
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:18 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nogophers
Probably because of the abuse of those bringing their 6-8 year olds as "infants and toddlers". Those who played by the rules got hosed.
so true. I see so many families with like 10 year olds pre-board. really annoying. Especially when I'm paying $4k+ for a business fare.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:24 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by sdadept
so true. I see so many families with like 10 year olds pre-board. really annoying. Especially when I'm paying $4k+ for a business fare.
Agree about the 10 y.o. (they should really enforce 2 y.o. restriction instead), but what that has to do with $4K+ business class ticket? Are you really willing to pay hundreds or thousands for the benefit of getting into your seat 5-10 earlier?
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:32 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by HongKonger
I have never heard of the birth certificate rule. Link? I've never carried a birth certificate for my children when traveling. I do always have their passports though since it's always international.
It's not a rigid rule as far as the phrasing is concerned:

(1) General Rule
Except as set forth in this Rule, children under the age of 15 will not be accepted for transportation unless they are accompanied on the same flight in the same compartment by a parent, legal guardian, or other passenger at least 18 years of age. Delta may prompt at check in for documentation verifying the child’s age. A valid passport, birth certificate or other government issued identification are all acceptable.

http://www.delta.com/content/dam/del...rriage_dom.pdf

Comment: since they have the right to ask for a document verifying age, parents should have one while traveling. Passport is definitely required for most international trips, but for domestic I assume birth certificate is the default ID doc.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:42 pm

Programs: DL DM and 1.5 MM, UA GM, HH DM
Originally Posted by Traveller
Yes, roll your eyes... it's much like refering to the newbie or novice traveler as a kettel...
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:46 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by VladQ
Agree about the 10 y.o. (they should really enforce 2 y.o. restriction instead), but what that has to do with $4K+ business class ticket? Are you really willing to pay hundreds or thousands for the benefit of getting into your seat 5-10 earlier?
Having paid more and getting pushed aside by someone who thinks having a 10 YO entitles them to special treatment is annoying.

I had some jerk tell me his kid has as much right as me to _____.

I reminded him that his kid can't vote, own property, enter into a contract, be sued, run for public office, serve in the military, make medical decisions on his own behalf, drive a car, get a job and if he has more time I'll be glad to think of some more.

Children are cute but they aren't adults. Sadly some adults have never grown up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.