Community
Wiki Posts
Search

infants no longer allowed to preboard

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, F9 Summit
Originally Posted by jsmith50
Having flown with my children when they were infants, I certainly see the value in being able to fly with a child in lap. As long as the FAA considers this safe, it certainly is more cost effective than purchasing a seat for a child who will undoubtedly spend half the flight or more out of the seat and in a parent's lap eating, sleeping, etc.

On the other hand, I am ardently opposed to Gordon's Gin. Perhaps pilots could help us with that problem which I see as much worse than a lap child!

The FAA doesn't consider it safe they consider it less risky. The NTSB has had it on their most wanted list for years that the FAA mandate child restraints in aircraft. For me the little bit of cost is worth it since even in a survivable crash a lap child most likely isn't going to make it.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
IBTL.

As a parent of two young ones, I actually agree that infants w/o carsets do not need nearly as much time to board as ones with carseats. While it is true that boarding with kids takes longer than boarding w/o, it's not clear to me at what age that stops being true. Moreover, most times it's actually (IME) easier to board with an infant in arms than, say a 3-year old, especially if one is not also trying to carry the kitchen sink as carry on and/or has another traveling companion.

For parents traveling alone with an infant in arms, while no longer explicitly called out, I am sure almost any GA would gladly let you pre board with no more or less scrutiny than a retiree.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Several years ago, I was seated next to a heavy, pregnant woman who had her two-year plus child on her lap. (FL flight, ATL-EWR) I was wearing a suit, white dress shirt and tie. The moron, who obviously did not care about the safety of her child, gave the child a Hershey's bar once we were in the air. Of course, the child reached out for my shirt as she was sliding off her mother for the tenth or so time, and left a giant, smelly smudge.

The FA could not have been any more awesome. I took off my shirt and she was able to get the stain out with soda water. When we landed, the station manager (I still remember her name) met us. I was given a r/t voucher. The woman with the child was told she would have to provide a birth certificate for the return trip, and even then, it would be up to the pilot to determine if the child was safe for the flight. She exploded, threatening to sue. At that point, I left, so I don't know how it was resolved.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by motytrah
You're already seeing lap children banned in the new J configuration because of the long distances between the lap and the glass LCD panel, and the risks with the airbag systems. It is only a matter of time before they are banned in Y as well.
When did airplanes get airbags?
Old Aug 29, 2013, 3:42 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Several years ago, I was seated next to a heavy, pregnant woman who had her two-year plus child on her lap. (FL flight, ATL-EWR) I was wearing a suit, white dress shirt and tie. The moron, who obviously did not care about the safety of her child, gave the child a Hershey's bar once we were in the air. Of course, the child reached out for my shirt as she was sliding off her mother for the tenth or so time, and left a giant, smelly smudge.

The FA could not have been any more awesome. I took off my shirt and she was able to get the stain out with soda water. When we landed, the station manager (I still remember her name) met us. I was given a r/t voucher. The woman with the child was told she would have to provide a birth certificate for the return trip, and even then, it would be up to the pilot to determine if the child was safe for the flight. She exploded, threatening to sue. At that point, I left, so I don't know how it was resolved.
How is this related to preboarding with children and the alleged new DL policy about it? There is a forum about traveling with children not related to specific airlines.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 3:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Traveller
When did airplanes get airbags?
At least several years ago, with the flat beds on the 777. That thick thing in the seat belt in BE is an airbag.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
At least several years ago, with the flat beds on the 777. That thick thing in the seat belt in BE is an airbag.
Wow, I never knew that! But I am pretty gullible too so maybe you all are just making this up?
Old Aug 29, 2013, 4:19 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Traveller
Wow, I never knew that! But I am pretty gullible too so maybe you all are just making this up?
Same on AS first and bulkhead rows (newer 737 aircraft), AZ 777 business class, etc... Still, this has nothing to do with pre-boarding on DL.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
As of last Sunday, they still preboarded families with small kids. On one of the two flights I took, they enforced the rule that the child has to be less than two years old and sent back a couple of families with older children. Well done in my opinion. On flights with many families, preboarding for elites looses its sense if you have dozens of families boarding first, especially as these families will use a lot of overhead space, the only reason I appreciate to be able to board early.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL DM and 1.5 MM, UA GM, HH DM
Wife on a flight from SLC to SFO today in F PAID, with 18 month old who has his own PAID F seat gate agent would not allow preboard.

Wife had to negotiate all the freaking DM upgrade whores who were pushing past her to get to their seat first, stuff their oversided bags and breifcases in the overheads, real gentleman like behavior and then seeing she was in F with a child she had to endure all the mumers about a child in F... Screw all of them, he was as quiet as a mouse.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by donb25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nogophers

Probably because of the abuse of those bringing their 6-8 year olds as "infants and toddlers". Those who played by the rules got hosed.

I hope this is a new rule. Too many people abused it.
How about enforcing it instead of inconveniencing people who actually need it (and the other passengers too)?
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NWA012
This is the new policy, only those who need time to install a car seat in a seat. Also, those who require assistance are to be boarded before those with a car seat and there should be a gap between the two. The DOT mandated the new boarding gap so not to rush those who need assistance.
You work for Delta right? Was the issue that the people in wheelchairs were being crowded by families with infants?

I didn't want to start a new thread on the many issues of flying with children and crying kids, blah, blah, blah......I just wanted to bring attention to this (and apparently unanounnced) Delta policy so new parents can be informed when flying with Delta
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by VladQ
I think allowing parents with infants to pre-board is the right thing to do. Instead of eliminating this step, they should enforce the age restriction. As far as I know parents have to carry a birth certificate for their children anyway while traveling so checking the date should not be too difficult in cases of suspected abuse.
I have never heard of the birth certificate rule. Link? I've never carried a birth certificate for my children when traveling. I do always have their passports though since it's always international.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by donb25
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter

Do parents even feel bad when their kids are so disruptive? When they have to fly is it embarrassing to them when their children make such a scene?

You must remember we are in a different time now. Different caliber and class of people populate the sky's and lounges these days. Have you been in a SC recently? Remember, those people eventually make their way to the Jetway lol.
So back in the good old days, infants never cried? That must have been nice.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Asiaflyguy
Wife on a flight from SLC to SFO today in F PAID, with 18 month old who has his own PAID F seat gate agent would not allow preboard.

Wife had to negotiate all the freaking DM upgrade whores who were pushing past her to get to their seat first, stuff their oversided bags and breifcases in the overheads, real gentleman like behavior and then seeing she was in F with a child she had to endure all the mumers about a child in F... Screw all of them, he was as quiet as a mouse.
+1000

Screw all of them even if he cried a little. DL allows children in F/J. Anyone who doesn't like it should ask DL to change their policy or take a private jet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.