infants no longer allowed to preboard

Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AA
Originally Posted by nogophers
Probably because of the abuse of those bringing their 6-8 year olds as "infants and toddlers". Those who played by the rules got hosed.
I hope this is a new rule. Too many people abused it.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Beckles
The couple of times we've traveled with our now 14 month old twins we have strollers that need to be folded up and placed at the bottom of the jet bridge, the times we've flown it was on US Airways, but regardless, we certainly could have used preboarding if it had been offered, especially since we have been in bulkhead seats, making baggage storage even more challenging. That being said, since 95% of the time I don't travel with the kids, I don't necessarily have a problem with not allowing preboarding ...
Oy. For us (We also have twins.), that was about the worst age for traveling with them. It gets better.

Mike
Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by donb25
Too many people abused it.
And not enough GAs enforced it.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
If it is true, I'm happy. I am getting really sick of having 20-30 people board before me when I am in FC. Even worse when I am in Y (only when I SDS).
Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA, WN & many Hotels... avoids UA like the plague!
Originally Posted by HongKonger
This is not the kid's fault it's the parent's. Absolutely unacceptable.
Concur
Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by APFPilot1985
best way to handle this is to just buy a ticket for the kiddo. I am ardently opposed to lap children.
So you'd rather the screaming infant be stuck in his child seat the entire flight instead of being comforted by his or her parent(s)?
Old Aug 29, 2013, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
I actually was thinking of starting a thread on children and flying.
That would certainly be unique here on FT
Old Aug 29, 2013, 2:15 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
I think allowing parents with infants to pre-board is the right thing to do. Instead of eliminating this step, they should enforce the age restriction. As far as I know parents have to carry a birth certificate for their children anyway while traveling so checking the date should not be too difficult in cases of suspected abuse.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by VladQ
I think allowing parents with infants to pre-board is the right thing to do. Instead of eliminating this step, they should enforce the age restriction. As far as I know parents have to carry a birth certificate for their children anyway while traveling so checking the date should not be too difficult in cases of suspected abuse.
I've never been asked for a birth certificate.

I do agree that the problem (like many) would be solved by stricter enforcement.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by kchoya
I do agree that the problem (like many) would be solved by stricter enforcement.
Post count on FT would drop off a cliff with stricter rule enforcement on the airline's part.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 2:47 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AA
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
Do parents even feel bad when their kids are so disruptive? When they have to fly is it embarrassing to them when their children make such a scene?
You must remember we are in a different time now. Different caliber and class of people populate the sky's and lounges these days. Have you been in a SC recently? Remember, those people eventually make their way to the Jetway lol.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 2:47 pm

Programs: SPG-Gold
I heard this last Sunday in San Diego during the boarding instructions. The GA said is was a new procedure
Old Aug 29, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
If it is true, I'm happy. I am getting really sick of having 20-30 people board before me when I am in FC. Even worse when I am in Y (only when I SDS).
I don't understand why it bothers you when you're in FC. They will not be blocking the aisle or using your OH space and the FAs will just start boarding later if pre-boarding goes away or decreases significantly, giving you the same amount of time in your FC seat (why you want extra time in the seat is another issue...).
Old Aug 29, 2013, 3:04 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
deleted
Old Aug 29, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, F9 Summit
Originally Posted by kchoya
So you'd rather the screaming infant be stuck in his child seat the entire flight instead of being comforted by his or her parent(s)?
Not at all. I have no problem with them being picked up when the seat belt sign is off. It is the stated policy of the FAA that they'd prefer that you put them in car seats as well, but since their thought is that it will result in more families driving and flying is safer than driving they won't mandate it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.