Wiki Posts
Search

infants no longer allowed to preboard

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Thumbs down infants no longer allowed to preboard

My wife and I just boarded lga to gsp with infant in arms but no car seat. The gate agent told us as of last week infants are not allowed to pre board unless they have a car seat and their own seat.

Anyone else heard of this? This will make it harder for families with infants to get settled and fins overhead space.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:50 am

I haven't heard of this. It could be a rogue agent. I hope that's not true. I think it's a helpful gesture.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:51 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Sky Club
Probably because of the abuse of those bringing their 6-8 year olds as "infants and toddlers". Those who played by the rules got hosed.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:59 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles FO
My recent flights did not include infants in the preboard announcement. Last weekend DTW-JFK RT.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The reason to preboard someone is that they need extra time. Whether they are an infant or disabled, allowing them (or those assisting) the time to get them from the gate into their seat, saves time overall.

I'm not sure why anybody with a lap child would need extra time. Yes, if I had to strap in a car seat or buckle the kid into his own seat. But, carrying a baby doesn't seem to impede the boarding process any more than anything else.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:29 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
The couple of times we've traveled with our now 14 month old twins we have strollers that need to be folded up and placed at the bottom of the jet bridge, the times we've flown it was on US Airways, but regardless, we certainly could have used preboarding if it had been offered, especially since we have been in bulkhead seats, making baggage storage even more challenging. That being said, since 95% of the time I don't travel with the kids, I don't necessarily have a problem with not allowing preboarding ...
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:30 am

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Originally Posted by Often1
...I'm not sure why anybody with a lap child would need extra time. Yes, if I had to strap in a car seat or buckle the kid into his own seat. But, carrying a baby doesn't seem to impede the boarding process any more than anything else.
:laughter: You must not have kids.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:36 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I guess the question is, is this in alignment with what other airlines are doing?

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
I have noticed, thanks to a previous thread on FT, that the pre-board announcement has changed in recent months. It rarely now says "infants and small children" and has been replaced by a blanket "those needing extra time." Most GAs, I have observed are happy to allow families traveling with infants or small children to take advantage of the needing extra time provision. Sounds like you might very well have had a rogue GA!

Originally Posted by jtrue28
+1.

As a parent to a 2 month old, I have noticed we move a lot slower.. Haven't flown yet but it would surely take more time to board.
Also, standing in the line in the jetway and moving in the now-crowded cabin would extra-suck.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Often1
The reason to preboard someone is that they need extra time. Whether they are an infant or disabled, allowing them (or those assisting) the time to get them from the gate into their seat, saves time overall.

I'm not sure why anybody with a lap child would need extra time. Yes, if I had to strap in a car seat or buckle the kid into his own seat. But, carrying a baby doesn't seem to impede the boarding process any more than anything else.
Even if you are not alone with your child, they take both hands to carry. They drop things, spill things and sometimes are crying and kicking. Your spouse then has to carry both your carry-ons and all the impedimenta that goes along with a baby - there's plenty even without a stroller - bottles, pacifiers, toys, etc. These things are all a distant, but still painful memory.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, F9 Summit
best way to handle this is to just buy a ticket for the kiddo. I am ardently opposed to lap children.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by jtrue28
+1. Everything takes more time when you have kids. Boarding an aircraft included. If they really aren't going to let people with small children pre-board anymore, they can expect delays while other pax wait for the family get situated before they can move past.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:21 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by APFPilot1985
best way to handle this is to just buy a ticket for the kiddo. I am ardently opposed to lap children.
Because?

Right now they are allowed.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by APFPilot1985
Having flown with my children when they were infants, I certainly see the value in being able to fly with a child in lap. As long as the FAA considers this safe, it certainly is more cost effective than purchasing a seat for a child who will undoubtedly spend half the flight or more out of the seat and in a parent's lap eating, sleeping, etc.

On the other hand, I am ardently opposed to Gordon's Gin. Perhaps pilots could help us with that problem which I see as much worse than a lap child!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.