Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Potential Shenanigans to honor a MM flyer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Potential Shenanigans to honor a MM flyer

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
If you were smart, you'd text this to @deltaassist about 24 before your flight.
Well that would mean that I would have to start texting...

I'd actually be well over 3 million at this point if I hadn't traveled so much on other airlines, especially in the 90s.

And I would add that if I can't get an upgrade on JFK-SFO the Friday afternoon before Labor Day, then I feel bad for people who aren't DMs (from an upgrade standpoint). Tho the flight's fairly wide open up front at this point.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 2:20 pm

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
The story could have been charming, but I was blinded by all of the credit card links.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by dgxoxo
The story could have been charming, but I was blinded by all of the credit card links.
LOL. The layout of that site gives me a headache.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Well I think it is great and I would have given up my upgrade for him. ^
Old Aug 20, 2013, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's awesome but Michael still should not have been upgraded if others who should be above him in priority were not upgraded on the flight. It's great for DL to do something special to honor the milestone, but other higher tier FFers should not "pay" for his celebration.
Originally Posted by lamont2718
Think DL did a great job with this.

Regarding the possibly illegitimate upgrade -- as much as I like my upgrades and believe proper priority should be upheld at the gate, I would be fine if DL took an upgrade from me and gave it to someone passing the MM mark on the flight.
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
I agree with OP and I would be angry if I missed my UG as a result of the MM.

Or just publish the rule that they get UG no matter what...
Originally Posted by deltalirious
Just achieved 2MM last week.
Since I did not self promote, I was only acknowledged with an e mail several days later.
No special recognition, no car service, no gift bag, no upgrade...no problem...
Now all I need to do is change my FT profile, and select a gift from the website.
From somebody who is hub captive and primarily does the ATL - TPA route and maybe gets an upgrade once a year (flying on a Wed at 2:00pm), I would be a tad upset if I was 6 out of 6 seats available and they gave it to somebody else because they got MM that day. I should get MM next year and I figure I might (maybe) just get an extra "Have one on us" coupons If it were shown as a published benefit, then I would agree whole heartedly...
Old Aug 20, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Oh my goodness people need to relax and not get so worked up over this stuff. Or even at all for that matter. I fully support DL giving a new MM an UG over anyone on the list. You know why? Because for starters, it happens so infrequently it probably won't ever affect me, but mostly because the person has earned a little extra thanks from DL.

And If you get mad about missing an ATL-TPA UG I feel zero sympathy for you. I'm sure you can handle the little hop in your free EC seat

Last edited by RFDMinnesota; Aug 20, 2013 at 7:35 pm Reason: Grammar
Old Aug 20, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
Oh my goodness people need to relax and not get so worked up over this stuff. Or even at all for that matter. I fully support DL giving a new MM an UG over anyone else. You know why? Because for starters, it happens so infrequently it probably won't ever affect me, but mostly because the person has earned a little extra thanks from DL.

And If you get mad about missing an ATL-TPA UG I feel zero sympathy for you. I'm sure you can handle the little hop in your free EC seat
Old Aug 20, 2013, 7:10 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
I did self promote for my 2MM flight - LHR-ATL in Y. My wife and I were served a nice dessert with Champaign and Strawberries, also given a nice note from the captain.
The originating flight ATL-LHR was even better, we were both op-upped!
Old Aug 20, 2013, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by localady
From somebody who is hub captive and primarily does the ATL - TPA route and maybe gets an upgrade once a year
Only one upgrade per year? Something is very wrong if a PM is only getting upgraded once a year. I've only missed six upgrades (out of 48 flights) this entire year. I'll hit PM next month but I'm not sure I want it if my upgrade % goes out the window.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by spcran4d
And to those of you who think it isn't fair that his upgrade was pushed above others', tough caca. Life ain't fair - quit being so entitled (and that's exactly what it is: entitled behavior). Around here that's a DYKWIA, right?
Of course the OP feel this way, after all their million miles of suffering, THEY feel entitled to a little comfort......

Just sayin'

Last edited by Bradhattan; Aug 20, 2013 at 7:49 pm Reason: Corrected to whom I was speaking.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:12 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
I'm pretty sure I will never hit (revenue) MM, but for crying out loud, people, you would begrudge someone getting a small perk from the airline for a big milestone? Clearly the OP's situation is a result of the social media team (via the pax & @deltaassist) alerting one station to fluff over one customer on one flight. Yay, Delta! ^

Of those griping about an inappropriate upgrade...would you turn it down if you were the one getting the benefit?

DL: Congrats XMM: (DL presents new BP in F)
XMM: Oh wait, DL, can you review the upgrade list and be sure that my milestone upgrade didn't come at the expense of the next DL elite on the list?
DL: Well, I tried to help you (tears up BP & prints new one for 36E).

Last edited by PRWeezer; Aug 20, 2013 at 9:24 pm
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:42 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
My guess is the recipient should be thanking Rene for giving DL a nudge. As other posters have mentioned, I've never received anything 'extra' when I hit 1, 2 or 3MM. Having a friend who is a blogger can't hurt when it comes to perks with DL. Congrats to the OP on 1MM.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Cool Time for input from blogger

Originally Posted by BamaGirl
My guess is the recipient should be thanking Rene for giving DL a nudge. As other posters have mentioned, I've never received anything 'extra' when I hit 1, 2 or 3MM. Having a friend who is a blogger can't hurt when it comes to perks with DL. Congrats to the OP on 1MM.
Thanks but not me really on this one. I may have had 5% input but this is all Delta doing it right. I have not, other than MR board, been part of FT anymore and 1/2 of the comment here make me want to get an air sickness bag out and fill it! The other 1/2 make me proud of FF'ers. I commented on the post that I would at anytime as a DM (and should make double DM this year) give up my upgrade, if a fellow flyer, after 18 years of flying, for a MM crossing 1MM first time. I would also for anyone making 2MM or 3MM and on and on. That is way to much time in any class of seat not to get a perk for that day. On my last flight from AMS to DTW I had a great seat in biz and took the worst one on a 777 as the head purser, who I knew well, asked me to move for a MMer. I could have said go pound sand but was happy to move (still in biz but still) as I care about Delta. I wish more of the "Angry's" did as well.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 9:01 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Nice gesture on DL's part. I'd be tweaked if I had paid for the upgrade with an SWU or miles and didn't get it due to this, but if it was just the usual list of medallion upgrade requests that he jumped over, I think we should just feel sorry for the MM'er! 18 years is a long time coming...
Old Aug 20, 2013, 9:10 pm

Programs: Starwood Preferred Guest / Marriott Rewards / Delta Skymiles
I had to google it. Awesome... lol

dykwia
Web definitions
Do You Know Who I Am? The call of the Self-Important Business Traveler

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.