Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Potential Shenanigans to honor a MM flyer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass

Curious about everyone's thoughts about the following blog post, specifically about what may have been a decision to upgrade the guy out of priority list order.

http://boardingarea.com/deltapoints/...icheals-story/

Greg
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by GregL
Curious about everyone's thoughts about the following blog post, specifically about what may have been a decision to upgrade the guy out of priority list order.

http://boardingarea.com/deltapoints/...icheals-story/

Greg
I think it is awesome.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's awesome but Michael still should not have been upgraded if others who should be above him in priority were not upgraded on the flight. It's great for DL to do something special to honor the milestone, but other higher tier FFers should not "pay" for his celebration.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
I'm hitting 2 million on 8/30. After a number of recent upgrades not clearing, I'd just be glad if that (SFO) flight clears...

Last edited by TrojanTraveler; Aug 20, 2013 at 1:50 pm
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: Many. Some top-tier, others not.
Thumbs up

I think it's awesome. They "only" came aboard and thanked me with a little gift bag (but I think I was on an "A" fare that day anyway). It was pretty cool.

And to those of you who think it isn't fair that his upgrade was pushed above others', tough caca. Life ain't fair - quit being so entitled (and that's exactly what it is: entitled behavior). Around here that's a DYKWIA, right?
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Nice story. Has anyone hit the 7MM mark? On Delta's website it says they will provide a one time special event. Does anyone know what that event is like?
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Think DL did a great job with this.

Regarding the possibly illegitimate upgrade -- as much as I like my upgrades and believe proper priority should be upheld at the gate, I would be fine if DL took an upgrade from me and gave it to someone passing the MM mark on the flight.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Nice story. Has anyone hit the 7MM mark? On Delta's website it says they will provide a one time special event. Does anyone know what that event is like?
An intervention.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:58 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by spcran4d
And to those of you who think it isn't fair that his upgrade was pushed above others', tough caca. Life ain't fair - quit being so entitled (and that's exactly what it is: entitled behavior). Around here that's a DYKWIA, right?
Problem is, DYKWIA's don't know they are!!
Old Aug 20, 2013, 1:00 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
I agree with OP and I would be angry if I missed my UG as a result of the MM.

Or just publish the rule that they get UG no matter what...
Old Aug 20, 2013, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's awesome but Michael still should not have been upgraded if others who should be above him in priority were not upgraded on the flight. It's great for DL to do something special to honor the milestone, but other higher tier FFers should not "pay" for his celebration.
I agree 100% with your statement.

I also feel cheated that nothing special took place when I hit a million miles, but then again I keep a low profile and did not announce it to Delta assist.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM (3 MM) ; Sky Club (Lifetime)
Last week

Just achieved 2MM last week.
Since I did not self promote, I was only acknowledged with an e mail several days later.
No special recognition, no car service, no gift bag, no upgrade...no problem...
Now all I need to do is change my FT profile, and select a gift from the website.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 1:22 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I'm hitting 2 million on 8/31. After a number of recent upgrades not clearing, I'd just be glad if that (SFO) flight clears...
If you were smart, you'd text this to @deltaassist about 24 before your flight.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 1:23 pm

Programs: Many. Some top-tier, others not.
Originally Posted by deltalirious
Just achieved 2MM last week.
Since I did not self promote, I was only acknowledged with an e mail several days later.
No special recognition, no car service, no gift bag, no upgrade...no problem...
Now all I need to do is change my FT profile, and select a gift from the website.
I find your attitude to be humbling and indicative of someone who is likely a nice guy . I found myself to be lucky, as I'd never witnessed such a display in all my million miles. Now, for the other jealous, entitled, so-and-sos around here...
Old Aug 20, 2013, 1:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Sky Miles, United Mileage Plus, National Emerald,
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
An intervention.

I would think reaching this milestone would be occasion enough for someone to "cut in line" for an upgrade. It's not like this happens every flight.

DYKWIA folks would complain if you hung 'em with a new rope...

Good for Michael! Hope one day I get that gift bag...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.