FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Potential Shenanigans to honor a MM flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1495781-potential-shenanigans-honor-mm-flyer.html)

GregL Aug 20, 2013 11:14 am

Potential Shenanigans to honor a MM flyer

Curious about everyone's thoughts about the following blog post, specifically about what may have been a decision to upgrade the guy out of priority list order.

http://boardingarea.com/deltapoints/...icheals-story/

Greg

james318 Aug 20, 2013 11:27 am

Originally Posted by GregL (Post 21305059)
Curious about everyone's thoughts about the following blog post, specifically about what may have been a decision to upgrade the guy out of priority list order.

http://boardingarea.com/deltapoints/...icheals-story/

Greg

I think it is awesome.

MSPeconomist Aug 20, 2013 12:03 pm

It's awesome but Michael still should not have been upgraded if others who should be above him in priority were not upgraded on the flight. It's great for DL to do something special to honor the milestone, but other higher tier FFers should not "pay" for his celebration.

TrojanTraveler Aug 20, 2013 12:06 pm

I'm hitting 2 million on 8/30. After a number of recent upgrades not clearing, I'd just be glad if that (SFO) flight clears...

SFBayGuy Aug 20, 2013 12:45 pm

I think it's awesome. They "only" came aboard and thanked me with a little gift bag (but I think I was on an "A" fare that day anyway). It was pretty cool.

And to those of you who think it isn't fair that his upgrade was pushed above others', tough caca. Life ain't fair - quit being so entitled (and that's exactly what it is: entitled behavior). Around here that's a DYKWIA, right?

readywhenyouare Aug 20, 2013 12:50 pm

Nice story. Has anyone hit the 7MM mark? On Delta's website it says they will provide a one time special event. Does anyone know what that event is like?

lamont2718 Aug 20, 2013 12:51 pm

Think DL did a great job with this.

Regarding the possibly illegitimate upgrade -- as much as I like my upgrades and believe proper priority should be upheld at the gate, I would be fine if DL took an upgrade from me and gave it to someone passing the MM mark on the flight.

TrojanTraveler Aug 20, 2013 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 21305697)
Nice story. Has anyone hit the 7MM mark? On Delta's website it says they will provide a one time special event. Does anyone know what that event is like?

An intervention.

fti Aug 20, 2013 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by spcran4d (Post 21305665)
And to those of you who think it isn't fair that his upgrade was pushed above others', tough caca. Life ain't fair - quit being so entitled (and that's exactly what it is: entitled behavior). Around here that's a DYKWIA, right?

Problem is, DYKWIA's don't know they are!!

aubreyfromwheaton Aug 20, 2013 1:00 pm

I agree with OP and I would be angry if I missed my UG as a result of the MM.

Or just publish the rule that they get UG no matter what...

Singleflyer Aug 20, 2013 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 21305381)
It's awesome but Michael still should not have been upgraded if others who should be above him in priority were not upgraded on the flight. It's great for DL to do something special to honor the milestone, but other higher tier FFers should not "pay" for his celebration.

I agree 100% with your statement.

I also feel cheated that nothing special took place when I hit a million miles, but then again I keep a low profile and did not announce it to Delta assist.

deltalirious Aug 20, 2013 1:19 pm

Last week

Just achieved 2MM last week.
Since I did not self promote, I was only acknowledged with an e mail several days later.
No special recognition, no car service, no gift bag, no upgrade...no problem...
Now all I need to do is change my FT profile, and select a gift from the website.

iflyalexair Aug 20, 2013 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler (Post 21305410)
I'm hitting 2 million on 8/31. After a number of recent upgrades not clearing, I'd just be glad if that (SFO) flight clears...

If you were smart, you'd text this to @deltaassist about 24 before your flight.

SFBayGuy Aug 20, 2013 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by deltalirious (Post 21305877)
Just achieved 2MM last week.
Since I did not self promote, I was only acknowledged with an e mail several days later.
No special recognition, no car service, no gift bag, no upgrade...no problem...
Now all I need to do is change my FT profile, and select a gift from the website.

I find your attitude to be humbling and indicative of someone who is likely a nice guy :). I found myself to be lucky, as I'd never witnessed such a display in all my million miles. Now, for the other jealous, entitled, so-and-sos around here...:td:

tbeeson58 Aug 20, 2013 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler (Post 21305748)
An intervention.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

I would think reaching this milestone would be occasion enough for someone to "cut in line" for an upgrade. It's not like this happens every flight.

DYKWIA folks would complain if you hung 'em with a new rope...

Good for Michael! Hope one day I get that gift bag...