Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Convert Skymiles to Singapore, Cathay, or Thai?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Convert Skymiles to Singapore, Cathay, or Thai?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2013, 2:51 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jakemalloy
Do you recommend Malayasian via KUL or China Southern a380 via Guangzhou?

Both leave from LAX.
Done both, but I'd give the ^ to CZ on this one. I really like the late evening departure from LAX and found the transit process in CAN a snap. The MH flight may well have better service but will have inferior seats (the CZ seats are really quite comfortable for sleeping), and the flight times are somewhat odd. Late afternoon departure from LAX, stopover in NRT then redeye to KUL with a 4AM arrival. Painful experience IME and if you're connecting to points north, better to get there on CZ. Lounge in CAN is better than you'd expect (certainly better than any Delta lounge that I've seen). Shorthaul in Asia on either carrier is generally narrowbody (Airbus or Boeing), although MH does have a handful of widebody shorthaul routes.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL DM
As I recall MH has a crazy high fuel surcharge.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 3:20 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NHFL9
As I recall MH has a crazy high fuel surcharge.
CZ sorta does too - I paid taxes and fees of ~$340 per person on a business class award booking. According to DL receipt it included $252 of YQ on the roundtrip flight.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by dll
CZ sorta does too - I paid taxes and fees of ~$340 per person on a business class award booking. According to DL receipt it included $252 of YQ on the roundtrip flight.
MH is way worse. I paid US$313 in YQ one-way for MH SYD-KUL-LHR in late 2011.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

1. On the 3rd party services - I just called Delta today and told them exactly what I wanted - 2 biz class seats on CZ on the dates I needed. 9 min. later they were on hold. Literally one of the easiest calls I made to Delta. FYI, I used a free trial on expert flyer to confirm the availability just in case.

2. Thanks for the input on the flight. I too like the times on the CZ flight, and read a report today with no less than 30 photos on the A380 experience. Looked quite nice. I have never flown biz class internationally, so I cant compare, but it seems plenty good to these two newlyweds!

FYI, My gf had 15K miles three weeks ago and I had 80K. I never knew about the low mileage trick on Delta partners, nor had I any idea about CZ or its A380. Thanks to the friendly folks here at FlyerTalk not only am I WAY more educated, but they literally

1. Helped us get Amex cards and 50K MR points each, a Delta Gold Amex for my fiancee, and I got a Chase Preferred.

I only wish I traveled more. A big THANKS to everyone!
Old Apr 10, 2013, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by jakemalloy
I only wish I traveled more.
Travel smart and it will nearly pay for itself in future free travel. That's what I try to do as 100% leisure at the moment.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 5:40 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
CA has no blackout dates right?
Old Apr 10, 2013, 5:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by flymanbeast
CA has no blackout dates right?
CA is Air China, a member of the Star Alliance. CZ (China Southern) has no blackout dates. The only DL partners with blackout dates are KE (Korean Air), CI (China Airlines, which is based in Taiwan), and AE (Mandarin Airlines, a subsidiary of CI on which one can theoretically redeem SkyMiles).
Old Apr 10, 2013, 6:01 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Sorry i meant to write CZ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.