Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Convert Skymiles to Singapore, Cathay, or Thai?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Anyone know of a reasonable way to "backdoor" Delta Skymiles into award seats on Singapore, Cathay, or Thai airways?

Delta is incredibly poor on decent partner airlines to Southeast Asia for some reason.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 3:41 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Not so pure i would say i used korean airlines to get back from there
Old Apr 8, 2013, 6:14 pm

Programs: Delta MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, United Premier Silver
I just flew Korean Air Business Class. Absolutely terrific.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 6:33 pm

Within SE-A, there're also some KLM routes on big birds.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Unfortunately, Korean Air is blacked out for a month from late May thru June.

I will look into KLM.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by jakemalloy
Anyone know of a reasonable way to "backdoor" Delta Skymiles into award seats on Singapore, Cathay, or Thai airways?

Delta is incredibly poor on decent partner airlines to Southeast Asia for some reason.
The only backdoor I know is to stick around long enough to gain access to Coupon Connection, and then trade SkyMiles for SQ etc miles. Expect a rate of 1.33 SkyMiles per 1 SQ mile.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:51 am
Original Poster

where and how is access to Coupon Connection granted?
Old Apr 10, 2013, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
where and how is access to Coupon Connection granted?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...ed-issues.html

However, based on your number of posts, you are not yet eligible to use this FT feature.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: DL DM
Vietnam Airlines generally has good award availability. The hard product and service are nothing spectacular, but it gets the job done. The Delta agents seem to have a hard time seeing their inventory though. I spoke to two who insisted the flights I wanted were unavailable, yet the third agent was able to snag and book the seats. I think the Air France website and/ or the KVS tool show Vietnam Airlines award availability.

Alternatively, China Southern, China Eastern and China Airlines all tend to have very good award availability, however, then you're connecting/ transiting China/ Taiwan which can be inconvenient for getting around Southeast Asia.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: DL Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Singapore Airlines Gold and a bunch of others
And with China Southern's A380 flight from LAX to CAN (Lay flat Business and a great time) we have good options and don't forget China Airlines or Malaysian. I actually think Skyteam has good options to SE Asia
Old Apr 10, 2013, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Do you recommend Malayasian via KUL or China Southern a380 via Guangzhou?

Both leave from LAX.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone know a service who helps do award booking via Delta? I am a newbie and it sounds like you need to be a vet of sorts to figure it all out, potentially.

Anyone know of any 3rd party that can help?
Old Apr 10, 2013, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Does anyone know a service who helps do award booking via Delta? I am a newbie and it sounds like you need to be a vet of sorts to figure it all out, potentially.

Possibilities:

http://bookyouraward.com/
http://pointmetothemiles.com/need-awardtravel-help/
Old Apr 10, 2013, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else

The third party services are really bad with SkyMiles. I'd stay away from all of them, honestly. You can check CZ on ExpertFlyer (and sometimes airfrance.us). They have flat beds on their A380, while MH doesn't have them on their TPAC aircraft. Fuel surcharges on CZ are also much lower than on MH.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by mtkeller
The third party services are really bad with SkyMiles.
+1. In my n=1 experience with one of the booking services, I was certainly not wow'd by the person's knowledge or initiative with my DL award. Though, when it came time to booking and dealing with the agents, I am glad he took care of that. There were multiple screw-ups along the way on the part of the phone agents but ultimately it was sorted out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.