Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ATL SC speed tour... or 2 hours surveying IKEA furniture

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2013, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles

I know that there is a similar thread somewhere. I tried searching using FT's highly functional search capability, but could not find it. Mods, combine as warranted.

Had the rare experience of terminating in ATL today.

No rush to be anywhere, so thought I'd hit all nine SCs.

A17: 12:34 PM
A Center: 12:44 PM
B10 (ugh): 12:55 PM
B25: 1:01 PM
C37: 1:23 PM
D27 (double ugh, tinny tin tube territory and descent into the dungeon): 1:44 PM
E15: 1:57 PM
F Mezzanine: 2:15 PM
T6: 2:37 PM

Disappointed that I did not do this in under 2 hours. Generally, took the walkways between concourses, rather than the train. Missed the 360 degree turn at the D escalators... walked most of the way to E before I realized my error.

These were actual "visits" at each club... not just an entrance. Has some sort of snack at each one.

(I could have sampled the yuppie ego bar at each club and run up a $300 to $450 bar bill, but I figured that the credit card transactions would slow me down. )

Wish now that I had stared at A center... starting there and finishing at T would have provided proper recognition to the two clubs that still look like Crown Rooms.

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; Apr 9, 2013 at 2:22 pm
Old Apr 9, 2013, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC the thread was started by ND76.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
B10 (ugh): 12:55 PM
B25: 1:01 PM
6 minutes in B10 is about 5 minutes too long.....
Old Apr 9, 2013, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLdweeb
^^^^

I have felt more comfortable in a telephone booth.

(Anyone under 30, PM me and I'll explain what that is. )
Old Apr 9, 2013, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC the thread was started by ND76.
Very good memory.

Following ND76's convention:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20145137-post10.html

I started out today in the PHL club, so that is a total of 10 clubs.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 2:39 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
And yet it's still a lot nicer than the GRU SC.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 3:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Congrats

It took me 4-1/2 hours to do it, and I was exhausted when I got on my flight to LHR; I think I would have enjoyed the flight more had I not exerted myself so much; but, visiting all 9 clubs in one day is like climbing Everest--you do it because it is there
Old Apr 9, 2013, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I've done this before. It's a great way to do a bar crawl. Although if you do this I can't stress enough to stop drinking at least 30 minutes prior to your flight and use the restroom several times. I made this mistake and as soon as we pushed away from the gate the urge hit and as usual in ATL we had a nice long taxi. The thought was seriously going through my mind that I may have to empty out that little Dasani water bottle and put it to use... Thankfully it was a 757 and we hit 10,000 feet quickly. The seat belt sign was still on but I jumped out anyway and headed for the lav.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I've done this before. It's a great way to do a bar crawl. Although if you do this I can't stress enough to stop drinking at least 30 minutes prior to your flight and use the restroom several times. I made this mistake and as soon as we pushed away from the gate the urge hit and as usual in ATL we had a nice long taxi. The thought was seriously going through my mind that I may have to empty out that little Dasani water bottle and put it to use... Thankfully it was a 757 and we hit 10,000 feet quickly. The seat belt sign was still on but I jumped out anyway and headed for the lav.
I limited myself to about 1/3 of a Sweetwater per club. And no, I was not wasteful, I requested a short tap each time.

Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Interesting. Never had the urge to do this.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This thread has me wondering whether I've ever visited every SC in ATL. I suspect that I've never been in one of C or D, but I'm not sure which one I've missed. Or maybe I missed both C and D, having only used the old CO lounge in that area.

I've certainly been in every SC in DTW, MSP, LGA, and MEM (when there were multiple WCs), but I don't think I've visited every one at JFK either.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Anyone have a list of the historical, now closed clubs?

Including the small unmanned clubs that used to exist at BWI, SDF, OKC(?) etc.

Would be interesting to determine how many of the clubs that DL ever had, that I was in.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
I believe the old MCI club is now a sports bar (and the only restaurant inside security at MCI)
Old Apr 10, 2013, 7:38 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SP Plat, Hilton Gold

I just sit in Centerpoint, have a bev, & check into all of them on Foursquare. Saves me about 2 hours.

But seriously, OP, assuming you didn't check luggage, why not hit the A's, then T, then B and onward, then depart from F? Would have made your goal of <2 hours.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Leezell
I just sit in Centerpoint, have a bev, & check into all of them on Foursquare. Saves me about 2 hours.

But seriously, OP, assuming you didn't check luggage, why not hit the A's, then T, then B and onward, then depart from F? Would have made your goal of <2 hours.
Done on a whim, so not a lot of strategy.

That said, I wanted to end up in T anyway, since that club still has traditional Crown Room work cubbies, where I wanted to spend a bit more time waiting for a later-arriving associate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.