Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Severe Peanut Allergy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2013, 4:37 am

Programs: DL EOS...
Better to not be served Peanuts than make an unscheduled medical landing.....

I work with someone sensitive to this issue and have seen the dire reaction to miniscule exposure. It's no joke.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 4:49 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by eturowski
Seems like there has been a peanut allergy on every flight I have ever taken to MCO.
Stay off of my flights knock on wood, this has not happened on any of my DL flights recently and I fly out of MCO weekly.

Last edited by Crazyhotelguy; Mar 11, 2013 at 6:02 am
Old Mar 11, 2013, 4:50 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Indelaware
One of the most shameful, IMHO, incidents of far right anti-regulation politics preventing a reasonable regulation which would have had positive effects at minimal cost to both government and airlines.
Save it for OMNI/PR....

Last edited by Crazyhotelguy; Mar 11, 2013 at 6:01 am
Old Mar 11, 2013, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
Be glad it wasn't an alcohol allergy. A week or so ago, someone reported on the southwest board that a person had an alcohol allergy and WN didn't serve any alcohol on that flight:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...no-liquor.html

I would be FURIOUS if Delta didn't serve alcohol on a flight if I was in first class, especially if I was paying to be in F or J on a long haul domestic or international flight!!!

I would also be furious if they didn't serve the warm nuts on an international if I was in paid J. My wife is a diabetic and sometimes will bring cheese crackers with peanut butter snack packs for a snack if the flight is delayed and she wont' be eating until later than anticipated. I would hope Delta would provide her with another long acting carb/protien snack if she told she couldn't open them due to a person with a peanut allergy on board.

You spend a lot of time getting all worked up, don't you?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:37 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Stay off of my flights knock on wood, this has not happened on any of my DL flights recently and I fly out of MCO weekly.
Actually had this peanut allergy issue once flying out of MCO. But it was weird, they held back the peanuts in Y but not in F. I don't know how much that curtain provides a buffer -- and I don't know where the alergic pax was sitting -- but DL seemed satisfied that it would not be an issue. Presumably they were correct because there was no emergency landing.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Actually had this peanut allergy issue once flying out of MCO. But it was weird, they held back the peanuts in Y but not in F. I don't know how much that curtain provides a buffer -- and I don't know where the alergic pax was sitting -- but DL seemed satisfied that it would not be an issue. Presumably they were correct because there was no emergency landing.
Don't forget about the magic force field that keeps the steerage from using the front lav. That also has been reported as being impenetrable to nut particles
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:29 am

I always carry a large jar of dry roasted peanuts with me when I travel, just in case. I have to manage a congenital reservatrol deficiency.

Someone else's peanut allergy should be their problem, not mine. That's what haz-mat suits are for.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Ti22
..............I work with someone sensitive to this issue and have seen the dire reaction to miniscule exposure. It's no joke.
Could you supply a DETAILED description of the entire event(s) from start to finish? Thank you.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, AA, UA, WN, E+ Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
They can't prevent someone from eating their own peanut products that they brought on board, can they?
Originally Posted by Singleflyer
No
Think again, about 3 years ago i was on a southwest flight with my own trail mix purchased in the terminal. While there were no PA announcements about anyone with allergies, the FA approached me and told me a passenger was on board with a peanut allergy and asked that i put the trail mix away. For complying she offered me as many pretzel snacks as i wanted.

Funny, come to think of it that whole episode was a flight into MCO also.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Choice Gold, Hilton Diamond, US CP
I really think this whole thing of not serving peanuts, telling people not to consume peanuts, etc. since there is somebody with an allergy on board is a joke. If somebody is so severely allergic to peanuts or nuts in general, then why are they in an enclosed tube with questionable air quality?? What do they do in other public spaces??

Also, keep in mind, planes are not deep cleaned between flights and sometimes not deep cleaned for days at a time. Peanut dust/residue can be present in an aircraft even if peanuts/nuts are not being consumed. So just not consuming peanuts/nuts is not going to prevent the presences of nut dust/residue.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by whytravelsomuch
I really think this whole thing of not serving peanuts, telling people not to consume peanuts, etc. since there is somebody with an allergy on board is a joke. If somebody is so severely allergic to peanuts or nuts in general, then why are they in an enclosed tube with questionable air quality?? What do they do in other public spaces??

Also, keep in mind, planes are not deep cleaned between flights and sometimes not deep cleaned for days at a time. Peanut dust/residue can be present in an aircraft even if peanuts/nuts are not being consumed. So just not consuming peanuts/nuts is not going to prevent the presences of nut dust/residue.
AMEN!

Where else does such nonsense occur? In politically correct government schools.

Aircraft peanut bans occur far more often than justified by the infintesimally small number of people so sensitive to peanut dust that they would be affected by someone a few rows away eating peanuts.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by whytravelsomuch

Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash
AMEN!

Where else does such nonsense occur? In politically correct government schools.

Aircraft peanut bans occur far more often than justified by the infintesimally small number of people so sensitive to peanut dust that they would be affected by someone a few rows away eating peanuts.
+1..

While this has not happened on DL out of MCO lately (knock on wood), I did see quite an interesting exchange a few years back while flying on US out of PSP.

When we were boarding a lady confronted the GA about her son having a peanut allergy. The woman wanted the GA to confirm 100% that there would be no peanuts on board.. The GA said that she could not confirm this, but would let her speak to the FA. The FA stated that although there were no nuts served on board, she could not gaurantee that another pax would not have their own. ... The woman went all DYKWIA on both the GA and FA. She through a hissy to the piont that the FA gave her the option of flying or not.. The woman got on board and grumbled the whole flight. She even went to the steps of verifying with other pax that they did not have peanuts...

Seriously.. if you are this paranoid or have this many issues, you probably should not be on a commercial plane. If so, maybe you should wear the masks that I see in the airports every now and then.

I have some care and concern for the conditiion, but I do not get why people feel it is ok to inconvenience 149 other people on a plane because they cannot take appropriate action of their own.

If asked politely, I cmoply, but I do not get the entitlement that some of these people push....
Old Mar 11, 2013, 2:09 pm

Some people have real problems and I feel sorry for them. Not sure what these people do when they go to movie theaters or restaurants that serve foods with nuts. Are they willing to give me alternate food since I often bring pb&j on a bagel for my meal.

I leave you with the following from Chris Rock---"We got so much food in America, we're allergic to food. Allergic to food! Hungry people ain't allergic to s*&t. You think anyone in Rwanda's got a fu*%in' lactose intolerance?!"
Old Mar 11, 2013, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC
Not clear on how declaring one flight 'peanut free' really helps

Seems like airplanes would be one of the absolute most peanut-laden 'zones' you could ever find yourself in. So people are openly consuming peanut products on an airplane for (literally) hundreds of flights, then one flight is declared 'peanut free'...and in the meantime, we all know these airplanes really get next to zero real cleaning -- not the kind that would make any real difference to someone with a truly SEVERE peanut allergy -- so I guess I'm not clear on how this accommodation really helps that allergic patient (assuming someone wasn't actually planning to rub peanuts in that person's face to begin with).

I don't have a particular problem with it either way...just really can't understand how the airplane suddenly becomes a 'safe place' that is truly free of the risk. The airport, the baggage counter, the taxi or train I take, the hotel room I'm in...all of these places seem to offer the same peanut risk--you can't truly escape it once you leave your home.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by rwoman

After reaching 10k+ feet, the FAs made the normal service announcements. However, they added no peanuts, peanut M&Ms, or trail mix would be served due to a passenger with a severe allergy on board.

Not a big deal, just the first time I've experienced this. I'm sure some could rant they did not get their free protein fix that pretzels or Biscoff cannot satisfy.

I have an issue with this. The airline should be giving passengers notice prior to boarding so that they can make alternate arrangements, especially when FAs announce 'no nuts AND nothing made in a facility which processes nuts AND we will not be selling buy on board today'. (This has occured to me on flights of 5+ hours on at least two North American carriers, and several times) And the passenger should contact the airline in advance, AND request that the GA makes the announcements.

This issue seems to arise regularly on leisure travel fora populated mostly by Americans. Outside North America and the UK, peanut allergies are not common. People on board the aircraft may not hear the announcement, may not understand the content, or may not speak English.

I'm always amazed that some of the most vocal peanut allergy parents seem to book WN - one of the only carriers in the US which still serves peanuts. That tells me that money is a priority over safety, yet those same posters then demand that everyone obey their demands. There has to be a balance and reasonable expectations.

I prefer LH's approach. A passenger once demanded prior to boarding that nobody on board a longhaul A340 eat anything with nuts, or made in a facility with nuts, for a flight of 10+ hours.

LH's reaction? If the allergy was so serious, why on earth did you not indicate this in advance? And they refused to transport the passenger that day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.