Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK T4 Phase II

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:27 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by monitor
More than a hassle, a major inconvenience.

For many of us, the only place to chack-in to DL at JFK has been T2. T3 has long been out of that equation.

However, the hope is that with having control over so many of the gates at that side of T4, DL will be able to do something about easing access for Pre-check and premium pax.
I've been told that Pre-check and a skypriority line will be in place at T4. It will also depend on which flights are left at T2. If they are more O&D oriented than for connecting pax, then that would be a problem. AFAIK, at least LAX and SFO (and I would assume SEA) will be assigned to T4.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: DL:PM - Reserve, 2MM, FC, RW; HH: SILVER MR: SILVER
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Thanks to DLCorpGalNYC for all the posts in this thread! ... ^^
+1
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:30 am
[INACTIVE] Company Representative - Delta Air Lines
Original Poster

Originally Posted by menton1
Is there a schematic drawing of what the T4/T2 configuration will look like this coming summer? Or a map drawing? Thanks.
I have a rendering. Is there a way to post that on here? If not, I'll see if I can get it posted to our online newsroom and then post the link. Standby.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:31 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue
Is there a schematic drawing of what the T4/T2 configuration will look like this coming summer? Or a map drawing? Thanks.
Originally Posted by amejr999
Picture this:

http://filecache.drivetheweb.com/mr4...ior-future.jpg

But without the extension to T4 Concourse A (on the right) and the walkway between T2 and T4.

Thanks. Interesting. I was more interested in an inside schematic, something like what they have now on the boards inside the terminal. Is that available yet?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by menton1
Thanks. Interesting. I was more interested in an inside schematic, something like what they have now on the boards inside the terminal. Is that available yet?
Nope that doesn't exist as of yet. We'll break ground in May/June, so perhaps closer to that time.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Here's a link to the rendering of what T2 and T4 will look like when Phase II is complete.
http://delta.thedigitalcenter.com/pr...e-ii-expansion
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Rather than seeing the RJ's terminal added to the end of T4 i would have rather seen it as its own "spoke" going off into the area where T3 was. Looks like there's going to be a long haul walk if you fly into the last gate where instead the T3 space could have been used better - though i'm certainly no architect.

Edited: DlCorpGalNYC - thanks for the pics with the new RJ's area.

Last edited by baccarat0809; Feb 12, 2013 at 9:48 am Reason: Thanks for the pics
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by baccarat0809
Rather than seeing the RJ's terminal added to the end of T4 i would have rather seen it as its own "spoke" going off into the area where T3 was. Looks like there's going to be a long haul walk if you fly into the last gate where instead the T3 space could have been used better - though i'm certainly no architect.

Edited: DlCorpGalNYC - thanks for the pics with the new RJ's area.
It will be a long walk, even with moving walkways. But as I understand it the plan is to utilize the area at T3 to park airplanes. Rather than having sitting unused at gates, the planes could be parked closeby, enabling better gate utilization. At least I believe that's the theory, and that's why they will be able to handle capacity with technically fewer gates overall.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
It will be a long walk, even with moving walkways. But as I understand it the plan is to utilize the area at T3 to park airplanes. Rather than having sitting unused at gates, the planes could be parked closeby, enabling better gate utilization. At least I believe that's the theory, and that's why they will be able to handle capacity with technically fewer gates overall.
I will note a carpenter has been above my apartment for years which is a small always hammering and banging while during the same time the whole T4 expansion has been completed which as you know is a large square footage addition with a lot more materials used if someone was even doing construction work. Must be the worst carpenter in the world or has other motives. But I use this example because Delta in a few months will be ready with T4 which is an impressive feat.

The workers have been on time and on budget and they need to be commended. But everyone can see what it looks like for themselves and what it will accomplish which for the terminal is a lot for flyers, too numerous to name.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Yes!
We've installed bi-directional moving walkways down the length of the terminal (they used to only be uni-directional heading toward the end of the concourse) to help with the walk.
And the T3 space will be used as aircraft parking so we don't have to tow planes in from remote parking/hangar space and to allow more space for dual taxiways which equals shorter taxi times.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adamj023
I will note a carpenter has been above my apartment for years which is a small always hammering and banging while during the same time the whole T4 expansion has been completed which as you know is a large square footage addition with a lot more materials used if someone was even doing construction work. Must be the worst carpenter in the world or has other motives. But I use this example because Delta in a few months will be ready with T4 which is an impressive feat.

The workers have been on time and on budget and they need to be commended. But everyone can see what it looks like for themselves and what it will accomplish which for the terminal is a lot for flyers, too numerous to name.
I'll pass along the feedback to the team. Thank you! (and maybe your upstairs neighbor is interested in hiring them when we're done at JFK).
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DLCorpGalNYC
I'll pass along the feedback to the team. Thank you! (and maybe your upstairs neighbor is interested in hiring them when we're done at JFK).
LOL. Funny. But seriously construction projects like that go on throughout the world in various situations and it is always nice to see this close to home where we are far behind. From November 2010 announcement from Delta to final completion in May 2013. I know of engineers myself who have worked on various City projects and they always impress.

Last edited by adamj023; Feb 12, 2013 at 11:12 am
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by DLCorpGalNYC
Sorry all, I was out of the office most of yesterday afternoon and I missed a lot of chatter. Let me try to address some of the most commonly asked questions.

- T3 will literally close overnight when T4 opens. I don't have an exact date yet, but it will be late May prior to Memorial Day weekend. When we have an exact date, I will let you know.
- Once closed, T3 will be abated and then torn down. That space will be used for aircraft parking.
- Additionally, after T3 is closed and as we remove it, it will allow for a much more direct route for the T2-T4 shuttle bus. This will drastically cut down the time you spend on the bus as we won't have to deal with aircraft movement, etc.
- The Sky Deck will open the same day as the rest of T4 - so late May.
May I ask some question for you? What about TSA will ever to be installed new inline baggage screening system at entire T4? What about old x-ray equipment will have to be removed. What about new baggage handling system? Can they reduce cutoff time requirement? 45-minutes is a good enough. 60-minutes cutoff time is not good at all.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by N830MH
May I ask some question for you? What about TSA will ever to be installed new inline baggage screening system at entire T4? What about old x-ray equipment will have to be removed. What about new baggage handling system? Can they reduce cutoff time requirement? 45-minutes is a good enough. 60-minutes cutoff time is not good at all.
T4 will be nice. If you travel, you will like it much better. Then eventually more flights get on T4.

I would agree that T2 for just domestic is a lot more usable since it is just domestic flights and no international/customs. The real limitation is the proximity to other Delta flights.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by adamj023
Which old train station? The old building where the ticket counters are in Jamaica?

Not sure which station you refer to. But at least the Airports will get cleaned up here.
The ticket counters are on the ground floor. The LIRR station is above that. The AirTrain station is adjacent to the LIRR station. I don't think the LIRR station itself was upgraded other than to allow through traffic from the elevators to the AirTrain terminal.

As noted by someone else, the closing of T3 means that the only covered way into T2 is gone. Many of us preferred to clear security in T2 anyway but in bad weather it was nice to have another option. The T4 terminal is conveniently located unless your flight is out of T2. It's a much bigger problem for people connecting than for us locals, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.