Wiki Posts
Search

JFK T4 Phase II

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by DLCorpGalNYC
Yes!
We've installed bi-directional moving walkways down the length of the terminal (they used to only be uni-directional heading toward the end of the concourse) to help with the walk.
The double walkways will help, but I would hope that the new concourse got a bit wider. Currently, if a flight is boarding and passengers are crowding around a gate, there's not much room between the moving walkway and the carpeted gate area, and it becomes difficult to manuever around passengers. I appreciate the gate agents making announcements to keep that area clear, but it can be problematic...and hopefully this was take into account in the new extension (hard to tell from the outside).
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by baccarat0809
Rather than seeing the RJ's terminal added to the end of T4 i would have rather seen it as its own "spoke" going off into the area where T3 was.... Looks like there's going to be a long haul walk if you fly into the last gate where instead the T3 space could have been used better - though i'm certainly no architect.

Edited: DlCorpGalNYC - thanks for the pics with the new RJ's area.
They will not (and don't now) much care about O&D passengers on the RJs. The hellish walk out to the end from the terminal will not be taken by transfer pax, who will not be very far from their long-haul connections.

They have LGA for their O&D crowd. They want as many of those pax as can be handled to go over there.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbjnyc
The ticket counters are on the ground floor. The LIRR station is above that. The AirTrain station is adjacent to the LIRR station. I don't think the LIRR station itself was upgraded other than to allow through traffic from the elevators to the AirTrain terminal.

As noted by someone else, the closing of T3 means that the only covered way into T2 is gone. Many of us preferred to clear security in T2 anyway but in bad weather it was nice to have another option. The T4 terminal is conveniently located unless your flight is out of T2. It's a much bigger problem for people connecting than for us locals, though.
LIRR Was upgraded on the upstairs levels for the LIRR trains. It used to be an old outdated red structure and was modernized. Changes including the T4 expansion project and other transit projects throughout the world can be found by looking at satellite imagery today. The construction of the JFK AirTrain and Jamaica terminal was ongoing when I was using the system.

Jamaica will be modernized further with upgrade expansions and the Grand Central connector project in the future. There is one building where the LIRR is which is original where the ticket office is downstairs and upstairs houses offices. People don't go upstairs, just to the downstairs ticket machines and counter to buy tickets. But alas LIRR is working on payment by smartphone in the future so it should make travel a lot better.

Airline passengers in the millions will be happy and technological advancements have improved quality for everyone. We are past the collapse of the aviation sector now in 2001. 2013 and beyond is going to be the brightest days of the industry, which is nice to see.

Few of the airlines since I was younger have survived. Delta was one of the few. Delta's key at JFK are the international and transcons and the real domestic business traveler will more than likely choose LGA. So the moveover of flights from T2 is just icing on the cake further out.

The SkyClub at T4 seems really nice for aviation enthusiasts and is very unique.

Last edited by adamj023; Feb 12, 2013 at 12:59 pm
Old Feb 12, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Once all of the construction for T4 is completed in 2017-2018, what will happen to T2?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
but I would hope that the new concourse got a bit wider.
From what I heard, the extension concourse (gates B31-39 opening in May) will be wider (by how much I don't know)...
Old Feb 12, 2013, 3:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
From what I heard, the extension concourse (gates B31-39 opening in May) will be wider (by how much I don't know)...
From a quick Google Maps calculation, looks like about 10 feet.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 4:24 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by sbjnyc
The ticket counters are on the ground floor. The LIRR station is above that. The AirTrain station is adjacent to the LIRR station. I don't think the LIRR station itself was upgraded other than to allow through traffic from the elevators to the AirTrain terminal.
As part of a $387M project, the platforms and overpasses of Jamaica station, including the connection to the subway, got a complete overhaul coincident with the AirTrain construction. This included new elevators and escalators from the platforms up to the overpass, as well as the moving walkways from the subway/station elevators to the AirTrain entrance (for the "through traffic" you described). I'm pretty sure the LIRR ticket office building received a touch up as part of this work.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by adamj023
T4 will be nice. If you travel, you will like it much better. Then eventually more flights get on T4.

I would agree that T2 for just domestic is a lot more usable since it is just domestic flights and no international/customs. The real limitation is the proximity to other Delta flights.
Right, I agree as well. I am looking forward to it. If I traveled to JFK for the day. I'm sure that I will take a pictures at entire new T4. I think DL will have reduce cutoff time requirement. 45-minutes is good enough. I surely hope TSA will add more new checkpoint space. They already have 4 or 5 checkpoint lanes. I think it's time to increased new TSA checkpoint. It will help to reduce the congestion.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
We need TSA Pre-Check at T4. If AA can have it in T8, Delta needs it in their new terminal.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by amolkold
We need TSA Pre-Check at T4. If AA can have it in T8, Delta needs it in their new terminal.
+1
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:34 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by flyerwma
Originally Posted by amolkold
+1
+1000
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: Delta DM and 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Please don't flame this question as I have tried to read this thread and am just confused. I have not done an RJ-mainline transfer at JFK before, and am just unclear as to where things stand there right now.

Next Monday evening, I will be taking a GoJet CR7 PIT-JFK, followed by a JFK-SLC 757 flight 1 hour and 40 minutes later. Will I have to do security reclearance, or just a lot of walking? Thanks.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Uncle Lars
Please don't flame this question as I have tried to read this thread and am just confused. I have not done an RJ-mainline transfer at JFK before, and am just unclear as to where things stand there right now.

Next Monday evening, I will be taking a GoJet CR7 PIT-JFK, followed by a JFK-SLC 757 flight 1 hour and 40 minutes later. Will I have to do security reclearance, or just a lot of walking? Thanks.
No security reclearance. Maybe lot of walking, maybe not.

The CR7 will arrive at the RJ "farm" in T2. JFK-SLC may leave from T2 (in which case, very easy, no real walking). Or it could leave from T3, in which case you need to walk from T2 to T3, which is all airside. And depending upon which gate at T3, could be a very decent walk. There is a moving sidewalk in the connector between T2 and T3, but just in that connector. If your gate is deep into T3 (like gate 12 or 18), then you have to walk counter clockwise through T3, which is what we all dread. But if it leaves from the front of T3, it's not so bad. And, of course, if it leaves from T2, that's the best.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Lars

This thread itself isn't really relevant to your situation at all.

Flyerwma has it all right but one thing if you have never been to T2 before is to make sure you don't exit the secure area. Do not walk through any door once you get into T2. When you exit the RJ farm there is a Delta desk with all the flight information on it. You should be able to check where you JFK-SLC flight is leaving from there.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by flyerwma
No security reclearance. Maybe lot of walking, maybe not.

The CR7 will arrive at the RJ "farm" in T2. JFK-SLC may leave from T2 (in which case, very easy, no real walking). Or it could leave from T3, in which case you need to walk from T2 to T3, which is all airside. And depending upon which gate at T3, could be a very decent walk. There is a moving sidewalk in the connector between T2 and T3, but just in that connector. If your gate is deep into T3 (like gate 12 or 18), then you have to walk counter clockwise through T3, which is what we all dread. But if it leaves from the front of T3, it's not so bad. And, of course, if it leaves from T2, that's the best.
Not the right thread, but many JFK-SLC flights are now leaving from T4. Make sure you check when you arrive. If it is T4 you will need to take the bus

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.