Search

2013 Upgrade Success Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2013, 6:43 am

Programs: Delta PM, IHG Spire
Wed 3/27
DL 1187 ATL-CAK
Upgraded at ~48hrs as FO.

~36hrs out from the return flight and no notice yet.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat 100 (LT Gold), IHG Spire, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, National EE, Hertz Prez Circle
So far I've been very surprised this year as a GM.

Only have had two upgradeable segments (others were CRJ or TATL) and have been surprised.

Apr 2 - LGA-ATL K/R @5 days
Apr 5 - ATL-GA - Q/R @5 days
Old Apr 3, 2013, 7:40 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite, United Silver
DL 4464 SLC-BNA 4/5 UG email sent ~ 30 hours before flight as FO. Haven't flown it yet so fingers crossed that I won't get un-upgraded.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 10:50 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by payingdues
DL 4464 SLC-BNA 4/5 UG email sent ~ 30 hours before flight as FO. Haven't flown it yet so fingers crossed that I won't get un-upgraded.
Have you been "un-upgraded" before? I certainly never have been "un-upgraded" after I have already received my upgrade notification at the appropriate upgrade window.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:09 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite, United Silver
Originally Posted by USirritated
Have you been "un-upgraded" before? I certainly never have been "un-upgraded" after I have already received my upgrade notification at the appropriate upgrade window.
Nope I've just seen a number of threads about it on here recently.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM
Received my first upgrade at the window as a PM this year, SLC to PHX, yahoo! Otherwise I am 1 for 12 so far this year.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 3:46 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Prfrence
I was upgraded 80 out of 83 times in my final year as a DM. Last year I didn't fly very much but was over 50% for the year.

I'm in the middle of a DCA-ATL-LAS-SLC-BOI-SLC-LAS-MEM-DCA itinerary. It looks like I'm going to go 3 for 8, with DCA-ATL and MEM-DCA upgraded at the window, and last night's SLC-LAS being upgraded about 75 minutes before flight time (I was 5th out of 8 waiting for 9 F seats; the flight actually had seat 4D vacant).

Three of the segments were full in F hours before the flight and went out full without anyone being upgraded at the gate. On these, I was 12th out of 32 as a GM on a T fare ATL-LAS; 14th out of 26 as a GM on an X fare SLC-BOI, and 5th out of 13 as a GM on an X fare BOI-SLC.

I was 15th out of 24 on the LAS-SLC segment for one open seat, which was given to a guy I observed as a first rate DYKWIA as a true "battlefield" upgrade, meaning that the upgrade was given to the guy after he boarded. This character was supposed to be in 4B, which is where he threw his Bose headphone case and his Ipad, but was perched in seat 4D, all the while he must have gone into his carry-on at least three times, blocking the aisle each time, while haranguing one of the FAs over empty seat 3D (this was an A320 with only 12 F seats). As it turned out, we took off in a rain squall, and experienced pretty good turbulence all the way up to SLC, and the FAs were instructed to remain seated the entire flight, meaning that there was no service in either cabin.

My first two domestic trips of the year were mileage tickets; I went 3 for 3 the first trip (the fourth segment was on a CRJ-200), and I went 1 for 4 the second trip, meaning that as a GM flying on the cheapest of tickets I'm 7 for 15, with seating in EC on every other segment. Plus, I've gotten to use TSA Pre-Check in every airport where it has been offered and haven't had to pay any baggage fees. So, things aren't that bad.

Last edited by ND76; Apr 9, 2013 at 9:21 pm Reason: Update
Old Apr 9, 2013, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
January 4/4 previously reported
Feb 19th 2013 MCI-ATL 5/6 days out
Feb 19th 2013 ATL-DAY 5/6 days out
Feb 22nd 2013 DAY-ATL missed
Feb 22nd 2013 ATL-MCI BFUG
Mar 27th 2013 MCI-ATL 3 days out
Mar 27th 2013 ATL-MAN ineligible
Apr 2nd 2013 MAN-ATL OpUp
Apr 2nd 2013 ATL-MCI 3 days out

DL - 12 flights 2 not eligible 1 opup 1 missed 10/12 total 9/10 eligible
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite
DL110 next Wed, ATL-LAX, X fare, upgraded at window. Noteworthy because every other flight for probably the past 30 months (I do it 2x/month on average) on this route has been battlefield only. I really thought this had gone the way of JFK/LAX and was locked to gate only upgrades.
Old May 10, 2013, 6:40 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
LGA to ATL on a 757. I believe I was the last pax upgraded. I had already taken my exit row set when the FA grabbed me

Upgraded on 5 of 12 segments so far (narrowly missed a sixth from Denver) this year as a first time FO
Old May 10, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by Adelphos
LGA to ATL on a 757. I believe I was the last pax upgraded. I had already taken my exit row set when the FA grabbed me

Upgraded on 5 of 12 segments so far (narrowly missed a sixth from Denver) this year as a first time FO
You are doing fantastically well for a FO. There are incidental reports of many fewer upgrades all around this year, so to get 5 out of 12 possible as an FO is significant. Maybe the decrease in upgrades is a bit overblown, or you are just very talented at choosing which flights to book in order to maximize upgrade potential.
Old May 10, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
You are doing fantastically well for a FO. There are incidental reports of many fewer upgrades all around this year, so to get 5 out of 12 possible as an FO is significant. Maybe the decrease in upgrades is a bit overblown, or you are just very talented at choosing which flights to book in order to maximize upgrade potential.
I am at 4 out of 10 possible as an FO this year myself.

This includes MSP-SFO on a Friday afternoon and DTW-LAX on a Friday afternoon. Both of these were not even BFUG...they were at the window!

FO ^
Old May 10, 2013, 8:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by pgh234

This includes MSP-SFO on a Friday afternoon and DTW-LAX on a Friday afternoon. Both of these at the window!

FO ^
What are your fares? Mostly M+?
Old May 10, 2013, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by pgh234

This includes MSP-SFO on a Friday afternoon and DTW-LAX on a Friday afternoon. Both of these at the window!

FO ^
For both of you as a FO, to get 40% or better, is surprisingly great, and for both of you, and the rest of us, I hope that it continues!

Originally Posted by timmy83
What are your fares? Mostly M+?
I was just thinking the same question as timmy83 was!
Old May 10, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
I was just thinking the same question as timmy83 was!
I'm very regrettably living in the 0% territory (0/20) this year as an FO. Luckily with all this flying, I should see some improvements by bumping myself up to GM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.