Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta buys 49% of Virgin Atlantic (official)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:08 am

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver, HH Gold, Amex Platinum

Yes! Really hope this goes through...
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
The PE looks very nice from pictures. Anyone flown it? Seems to be like domestic F, which would not be bad for a TATL.

Also---will this provide a new connection point for other Euro destinations? On Virgin or other ST carriers? An alternative to Paris AMS?
PE is a pretty good product - and good ground handling (dedicated check in, priority boarding) as well.

I've only flown NW (which shows how long ago ) domestic F in 2-2 seating, it is not as spacious as that.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:14 am
Suspended

Terminal 3 and 4 are far away from each other so they will have to build a skybridge or underground tunnel to connect the two terminals assuming they both will stay put at those terminals at London Heathrow.

See things like building skybridges, underground tunnels and the like and unifying terminals and sharing resources work out better for travelers.

It is a done deal as far as I am concerned.

If Singapore didn't wait so long they could have sold to Delta for a higher price, and instead Delta wound up picking it up for a steal and a bargain.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
just checked seat guru (which I don't actually trust. . . ) it claims that the seats are 21" wide with a 38" pitch. This is basically the same as DL domestic first (and what NW offered).
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
The PE looks very nice from pictures. Anyone flown it? Seems to be like domestic F, which would not be bad for a TATL.

Also---will this provide a new connection point for other Euro destinations? On Virgin or other ST carriers? An alternative to Paris AMS?
Looks to be better than BA WTP but their FFP is a big for me.
Plus the fact that I mainly fly TPAC and they don't serve that too much (<$50 AZ fares excluded and that's only to get a few DL awards in low if they exist; I'm not looking forward to AZ Y.)
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: DL FO
$360 million for the same stake Singapore Airlines bought for $960 million in 2000? Nice job, Delta! Hope this goes through!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
just checked seat guru (which I don't actually trust. . . ) it claims that the seats are 21" wide with a 38" pitch. This is basically the same as DL domestic first (and what NW offered).
Sounds about right - maybe my memory of NW F is faulty. I remember it as a palatial arm chair type experience
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:53 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by DLCorpGalNYC
All,

We want you to be some of the first to know we have just announced plans to form a joint venture with Virgin Atlantic Airways meant to strengthen our position across the Atlantic, especially in New York. We are investing $360 million to acquire a 49 percent stake in Virgin Atlantic, which will include three seats on their board of directors.

This joint venture will offer a combined trans-Atlantic network between the United Kingdom and North America with 31 peak-day round-trip flights; enhanced benefits for customers including cooperating on service between New York and London, with a combined total of nine daily round-trip flights from Heathrow to JFK and Newark; reciprocal frequent flyer benefits and shared access to Delta Sky Club and Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse airport lounges for elite passengers (more details coming soon).

Our next step is to apply for antitrust immunity with the U.S. DOT and undergo review by the U.S. Department of Justice and the EU’s competition regulators and other relevant authorities. We expect the share purchase and the joint venture to be implemented by the end of 2013.

We will work to keep you informed each step of the way. Please view the full release here http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1822

Thanks,

DLCorpGalNYC
Awesome... exactly what I was NOT hoping for our of the 'new' Delta reps. We get a post weeks ago introducing us to all these new people who claim to be here to look through the threads and answer questions.

Instead we get a canned press release which is already common knowledge here. Chris and Danny seem to be good about getting info out to us which is appreciated. But the rest of the folks are asleep at the wheel. DwayneSkyMiles has a whopping 2 posts since joining in October, and AndrewDeltaOnline hasn't made a post yet.

What's the point of having reps here if all they will do is give canned responses or pop in to give positive news while completely ignoring legitimate questions on policy (i.e. properly using SWU's, SDC questions, upgrade lists, etc).
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
SQ could try and enhance *A presence in JFK though.
I'm sure many people would rather fly SQ R to LHR that can afford it and take away traffic from AA/BA (although I think that they will have a more difficult time with Y buyers due to 10% earning fares)
SQ will run these JFK-LHR frequencies with which slots?

Originally Posted by Cloudship
I see DL pressuring VS to switch more of its slots at LHR to LHR-United States routes, which will be seriously detrimental to VS.
1) Not all slot pairs have timings conducive to TATL operations
2) DL has lately been conservative in terms of TATL capacity, so there is not much reason to see them using these resources to increase capacity to a significant degree.
3) VS is already primarily a TATL carrier.
4) VS, like a lot of the European carriers, is under a lot of pressure from Middle Eastern carriers on routes to Africa, Oceania, and Asia. It isn't clear that a moderate retrenchment by VS toward TATL flying would be overly detrimental.

Originally Posted by Cloudship
I also question how the product mix is going to work - VS's premium economy is going to really hurt DL Business Class sales, and US Airlines have issues with offering true Premium Economy.
I see little reason to believe that DL will be unduly hit by this. They already compete against PE products into LHR today. Are you suggesting that there are scores of DL J customers that will suddenly switch to PE tomorrow?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:56 am
Suspended

In the past the OneWorld alliance was far superior to SkyTeam for the UK route and had the most marketshare. Now SkyTeam competes directly against it.

Even with the new alliance, Delta will still have to aggressively price its flights since BA is still the preferred airline.

All things aside if SkyTeam and OneWorld were flying this route and British Airways had the ticket prices the same, I would use British Airways. But SkyTeam is still much better for the industry and for this route and makes this a compelling option.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by pbarnette
3) VS is already primarily a TATL carrier.
Looking at LHR flight traffic today

12 flights to the USA
10 flights elsewhere in the world

And then they have their LGW leisure routes so I'd say probably half their traffic is TATL.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:03 am
Suspended

Why is SkyTeam "much better for the industry"????

Originally Posted by adamj023
. . . But SkyTeam is still much better for the industry and for this route and makes this a compelling option.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL PM (not for long)
Terminal 3 and 4 are far away from each other so they will have to build a skybridge or underground tunnel to connect the two terminals assuming they both will stay put at those terminals at London Heathrow.

See things like building skybridges, underground tunnels and the like and unifying terminals and sharing resources work out better for travelers.
Delta confirmed it will try to relocate to T3.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD

DL will be looking to move to T3 with VS once the JV is approved.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by ANstar
Looking at LHR flight traffic today

12 flights to the USA
10 flights elsewhere in the world

And then they have their LGW leisure routes so I'd say probably half their traffic is TATL.
It looks like you are counting destinations, not frequencies, no?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.