Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta buys 49% of Virgin Atlantic (official)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta buys 49% of Virgin Atlantic (official)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:52 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
This should also help on my connecting flights to Australia. However, will be much harder in redemptions as now you have all the Virgin frequent flyers fighting for the same redemptions. Yikes.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:53 am

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Didn't see this coming. Great strategic move. Is it a possibility that they could join SkyTeam?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:58 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
The $360M sounds like a bargain to me for instantly becoming the #2 in LHR.
Especially when you consider that SQ paid $1.25B for those shares in today's money (£600M in 1999).

Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
This should also help on my connecting flights to Australia. However, will be much harder in redemptions as now you have all the Virgin frequent flyers fighting for the same redemptions. Yikes.
I'm confused how this helps at all with Australia. Are you flying MKE-LHR-HKG-SYD? Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Australia are different airlines.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:59 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
How well did Virgin work out for Singapore?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by N639DL
Didn't see this coming. Great strategic move. Is it a possibility that they could join SkyTeam?
Anything is possible. It would be quite a coup for ST to have a British carrier to stick it to BA/OW.

Anyway, looking forward to my return LHR-JFK on a VS plane next summer. Still have the unused portion of a DL ticket. If I can earn MQMs by then, all the better.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by adamj023
I agree. Apparently Aer Lingus is involved as well with Virgin, giving Virgin 4 A320's and their crew running connection flights from London Heathrow to a few cities.
Not quite. VS is wet leasing the aircraft from Aer Lingus for their new short haul service. They looked at several different suppliers. This is not an airline tie up, but a straight supplier relationship.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by opus2002
It is now official. Just what does this mean for Delta Pesos? Will it turn into pounds?
No, SkyPesos will convert into SkyPence.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:33 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by hazelrah
One might see the reason in the name alone.

Virgin ATLANTIC does not seam like a fit for a Pacific based airline. How was SQ ever going to use those US<>LHR routes?

And DL is buying this for a fraction what SQ paid.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
DL can leverage their ownership interest into a TATL JV, SQ can't. VS can leverage DL's network to help feed theirs (and vice versa), while feed from the SQ-VS partnership was likely minimal.

As a simple investment proposition doesn't necessarily make sense, but as a de facto merger of US-UK traffic, it makes quite a bit more sense.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:36 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Super.......

Doe VS have a functional website?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:41 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by stevekstevek
Wow.

Not clear but I assume this also means joining skyteam? No news yet on Branson's 51% stake?
Branson's 51% stake remains - it was never up for sale.

I believe VS will now explote joining Skyteam - I expect it to be announced sometime next year.

How well did Ansett and Air NZ work out for Singapore?

I believe SQ aren;t that great in working with other airlines and to be honest could have made more of the VS shareholding if they had wanted to.

At least Delta seem to be more willing and capable of doing that. I mean having a JV is a huge bonus to VS/DL from the UK... already that is far better integration than VS/SQ ever had.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ANstar
I believe SQ aren;t that great in working with other airlines and to be honest could have made more of the VS shareholding if they had wanted to.
The're great in losing almost $900M...
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
The're great in losing almost $900M...
The also lost a fare chunk in Air New Zealand too. As I said - they don't have a good track record of airline investments.... they are usually a silent partner and really need to leverage the synergies between the airlines...

Something that DL is looking to do from day 1 witgh the joint venture etc which is more than SQ ever offered VS.

Now SQ did by the VS stake at the peak of the market and even then it was deemed to be over priced.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by DLCorpGalNYC
All,

We want you to be some of the first to know we have just announced plans to form a joint venture with Virgin Atlantic Airways meant to strengthen our position across the Atlantic, especially in New York. We are investing $360 million to acquire a 49 percent stake in Virgin Atlantic, which will include three seats on their board of directors.

This joint venture will offer a combined trans-Atlantic network between the United Kingdom and North America with 31 peak-day round-trip flights; enhanced benefits for customers including cooperating on service between New York and London, with a combined total of nine daily round-trip flights from Heathrow to JFK and Newark; reciprocal frequent flyer benefits and shared access to Delta Sky Club and Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse airport lounges for elite passengers (more details coming soon).

Our next step is to apply for antitrust immunity with the U.S. DOT and undergo review by the U.S. Department of Justice and the EU’s competition regulators and other relevant authorities. We expect the share purchase and the joint venture to be implemented by the end of 2013.

We will work to keep you informed each step of the way. Please view the full release here http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1822

Thanks,

DLCorpGalNYC
Thanks for posting. As I'm sure you guys know, we would all greatly appreciate updates on the FF program collaboration as you have them.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
SHould be easier w/o a revenue base FFP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.