Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta buys 49% of Virgin Atlantic (official)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta buys 49% of Virgin Atlantic (official)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:22 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by pbarnette
It looks like you are counting destinations, not frequencies, no?
Nope... counting the flights leaving today.

TATL

LAX x 2
SFO x 1
JFK x 4
EWR x 2
IAD x 1
BOS x 1
MIA x 1

= 12

Other routes (all 1 daily)

BOM
DEL
LOS
PVG
NRT
JNB
CPT
DXB
HKG/SYD
ACC

= 10

Obviously in summer they have ORD and the YVR/SFO additions
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:49 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
100% done deal.

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1822

Highlights of the agreement include:

A fully integrated joint venture that will operate on a "metal neutral" basis with both airlines sharing the costs and revenues from all joint venture flights.

A combined trans-Atlantic network between the United Kingdom and North America with 31 peak-day round-trip flights.

Enhanced benefits for customers including cooperation on services between New York and London, with a combined total of nine daily round-trip flights from London-Heathrow to John F. Kennedy International Airport and Newark Liberty International Airport.

Reciprocal frequent flyer benefits.

Shared access to Delta Sky Club and Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse airport lounges for elite passengers.

-----------

This is unbelievably great news, IMHO. Access to SkyMiles redemptions on VS is huge given the lacking of any real amazing J product in SkyTeam. (Maybe some AF plans and KE aside). Also, earning SM again on VS will be great.

Last edited by MilesTalk; Dec 11, 2012 at 11:08 am Reason: removed incorrect statement
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:51 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by daveland
I just hope there are no wrenches thrown in this (like no J award redemption on VS - not that I can see any reason for that). One question will be if there is anyway to redeem for F on VS......... I suspect not but one can dream!
VS don't have F so how could you redeem F and second why would you want to pay F for a J experience.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by daveland
Shared access to Delta Sky Club and Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse airport lounges for elite passengers.
on first sight, that doesn't look too great for VS elites, given the Clubhouse is one of the best lounges on the planet and well Sky Clubs aren't. However, I presume that means worldwide?

The only wrench I can see is that I would hope DL do what AA did to BA redemptions and keep in place the fuel surcharges to stop limited VS redemptions being swamped by DL flyers.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:05 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
So, will VS start flying LHR - ATL?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:08 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by ANstar
VS don't have F so how could you redeem F and second why would you want to pay F for a J experience.
Boy, you sure are right! I haven't been on VS in ages but could swear they USED to have a special 1st class cabin. Either way, you're correct, just Y, Y+, and J now. Well, then, it should be redeemable
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:09 am

Programs: Delta FO
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
So, will VS start flying LHR - ATL?
That's what I want to know too. Or at least does this JV increase the possibility of a VS flight to ATL?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oldgoldflyer
Why is SkyTeam "much better for the industry"????
I meant Virgin Atlantic's partnership in SkyTeam. It combines flights and resources of the 2 airlines for easier access between the two and increases the total flights.

I don't believe there will be any corporate culture clashes for the most part and I think it will go extremely well.

Do I think Skyteam can beat out the marketshare that OneWorld has with this alliance? Anything is possible but at first OneWorld will still have the advantage, I still believe OneWorld will stay on top, however I do believe that the new combined entity will do much better financially together so instead of a 60 million dollar loss, you will see profit between the airlines.

Airline mergers and the like are predictable and the timing of this deal was right.

The AA Bankruptcy and merger as speculated with USAirways and the Frontier spinoff from Republic are really what is left.

Sure you will see more JV's with airlines like possibily Delta with Skymark in Japan, and other cross national alliances when they happen with the US-UK one being the biggest.

Industry has been stabilized and brought to profit from the brink of financial failure and consumers can fly lots of top carriers and get their flights out.

Last edited by adamj023; Dec 11, 2012 at 11:15 am
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Jenbel
on first sight, that doesn't look too great for VS elites, given the Clubhouse is one of the best lounges on the planet and well Sky Clubs aren't. However, I presume that means worldwide?

The only wrench I can see is that I would hope DL do what AA did to BA redemptions and keep in place the fuel surcharges to stop limited VS redemptions being swamped by DL flyers.
You read my mind. But, I wonder if this means that there will be an upgrade to the SCs where VS flies in order to match the product that VS offers.

My question is, I wonder that will happen to the current SkyTeam lounge at LHR? That club IMO was one of the better lounges worldwide that DL offered.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by atlocal
That's what I want to know too. Or at least does this JV increase the possibility of a VS flight to ATL?
Delta has the ATL to LHR flight now. It will be codeshared with Virgin and go back to the Virgin/Delta terminal at LHR which will either be integrated into one terminal or connected depending on their future plans. Virgin doesn't have any service of its own from ATL to LHR so it will be Delta running these flights.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by ANstar
DL will be looking to move to T3 with VS once the JV is approved.
What about the other Skyteam airlines? Will they all move to T3 along with the Skyteam lounge?

T3 sure has a lot more going for it, airside, than T4.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
this sounds like a "cheap" purchase, to me. cheap meaning a good deal.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:51 am
Suspended

Location: No longer spreadin' into your seat... down 187 pounds and at goal!
Programs: Delta360; DL Private Jets; Former KFC Golden Bucket
Someone on airliners.net posted this:

DL has been trying for the past few years to be hipper than AA and UA, e.g., new Sky Club designs and IFE. Seems that they could use a little help from VS to shake that down south image.

Thoughts?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by adamj023
Delta has the ATL to LHR flight now. It will be codeshared with Virgin and go back to the Virgin/Delta terminal at LHR which will either be integrated into one terminal or connected depending on their future plans. Virgin doesn't have any service of its own from ATL to LHR so it will be Delta running these flights.
You have clearly never been to LHR.

T3 and T4 are not going to be connected by a skybridge (physically impossible) or underground tunnel (cost prohibitive). They will be connected as they always have been, which is by bus.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Looks like its done According to multiple news outlets they bought 49% for $360 Million
Existing thread, which includes announcement from DLCorpGirl:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-atlantic.html

Specific Post: LINK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.