Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta buys 49% of Virgin Atlantic (official)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta buys 49% of Virgin Atlantic (official)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:30 am

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I got an email today that says the following:

I wonder if Air France and VA having a true Prem. Econ product would ever pressure delta to offering a real one, rather than econ. comfort which falls well short. I really think there is a market for it. Plenty of people would be willing to pay $500-$1000 more than coach to sit in a domestic first class type seat for a long flight, but would never pay the $2-5 K more to sit in BE.
I would love it if that were the case, but I think reality might be the other way around. I think that Delta might pressure Virgin to eliminate their true Premium Economy product and replace it with an economy plus product (albeit still using the Premium Economy name). Delta will see more value in those extra seats versus the increased revenue, especially when it might steal from business class sales. While they would never have that leverage with AF, They will with Virgin. Also, isn't Air Frances premium economy narrower than VS's?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:50 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by Cloudship
I think that Delta might pressure Virgin to eliminate their true Premium Economy product and replace it with an economy plus product (albeit still using the Premium Economy name). ?
Why would VS get rid of Premium Economy? They already have an economy plus option (ie extra leg room in the main cabin).

PE is very profitable for VS - Even the new 330 aircraft which are the same airframe size as the A340300 have many more PE seats. aircraft.

A330-300 --- A340-300
33J --------- 34J
48W ------- 35W
185Y -------- 171J

Also the 747 fleet have about 60 odd PE seats too.

In the main cabin (Y) VS offer Exit seats for $$ as well as extra legroom seats that offer 3 Inches more leg room for $$.

Last edited by ANstar; Dec 12, 2012 at 1:56 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 12, 2012, 3:22 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by roknroll

What's the point of having reps here if all they will do is give canned responses or pop in to give positive news...
You've answered your own question.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 5:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by Cloudship
I would love it if that were the case, but I think reality might be the other way around. I think that Delta might pressure Virgin to eliminate their true Premium Economy product and replace it with an economy plus product (albeit still using the Premium Economy name). Delta will see more value in those extra seats versus the increased revenue, especially when it might steal from business class sales. While they would never have that leverage with AF, They will with Virgin. Also, isn't Air Frances premium economy narrower than VS's?
In the UK market, Premium Economy is often the most profitable part of the plane (higher density seats, so although the profit per seat is not as high as for UC/J the overall profit is higher).

If DL were to do something so short-sighted, then they'd deserve to make a massive loss on their investment. You have to remember, VS are up against BA - who have a real PE product, even if it is not as good as VS'. Bringing in a US style Y+ product, particuarly on the leisure routes, where PE is very popular would be business suicide.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Virgin's PE product is (in my view) by far the best across the pond. It's a real class of travel, rather than just Y+ offering:
- dedicated PE check-in desks
- priority boarding behind Upper Class
- priority baggage handling at destination, which in my experience works the majority of the time
- 2 dedicated CSS (Purser) cabin crew for the PE cabin, which is curtained off from the rest of Y
- dedicated loos (although can be a bit tricky in terms of encroachment by Y passengers)
- better food than Y, served with a table cloth, metal cutlery and china crockery.
- 38" pitch, 21" width etc.

Most of the above benefits aren't offered by the likes of BA with their WT+ product.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
Virgin's PE product is (in my view) by far the best across the pond. It's a real class of travel, rather than just Y+ offering:
- priority baggage handling at destination, which in my experience works the majority of the time
- 2 dedicated CSS (Purser) cabin crew for the PE cabin, which is curtained off from the rest of Y
- dedicated loos (although can be a bit tricky in terms of encroachment by Y passengers)
- better food than Y, served with a table cloth, metal cutlery and china crockery.

Most of the above benefits aren't offered by the likes of BA with their WT+ product.
I'm curious if DL will offer the 1.5x MQM with VS PE as they do with AF PV...it'd be nice if they do.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 6:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
Isn't this similar to Premium Voyageur?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Isn't this similar to Premium Voyageur?
Sounds like it may be nicer than AF PV.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 6:55 am

Programs: Executive Club Silver
Now Delta have purchased 49% of VS and have announced a Joint Venture agreement I am rather chuft for both parties.

Delta benefits from a decent LHR network via VS, currently their network is poor at LHR compared to AA and UA/CO. Some people have suggested they will get the slots and run away with them however they only have a minority stake and they share their revenue anyway and will get a chunk of the VS revenue back from the 49% stake. Virgin has a lot bigger reputation in the British Isles and internationally that DL can utilise. Delta got a bargain price by buying when VS is in a slump, which they can recover from with new products, new 333 and revenues from partnerships.

Virgin is currently being squeezed by BA through their Joint Ventures and purchase of British Midland. A deal with DL will capture a lot of revenue synergies and potentially more feed through Skyteam if they choose to be apart of the alliance.

BA/AA may loose something in this deal, but due to their huge scope and controlling over half of LHR then it isn't a huge issue. I reckon Star and UA/CO will loose out on this deal. Star have been the second force at LHR until recently and many loyal VS flyers are also Star customers.

Lets not forget Gatwick, Manchester and Glasgow. VS have flights from there and have a very strong reputation throughout Britain and not just London. If DL ever wanted to expand non-LHR flying (currently ATL-MAN only non-LHR UK flight) then the deal will help.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by PotNoodle
Now Delta have purchased 49% of VS and have announced a Joint Venture agreement I am rather chuft for both parties.
Even the purchase of the 49% of VS has not yet taken place. As with the TATL JV, that too requires governmental approvals before it all closes.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:21 am
[INACTIVE] Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Originally Posted by Oakshadow
I'm just a little puzzled by JFK and EWR being the only two US airports mentioned. Does this mean these benefits will only be for NYC passengers and airports like LAX are left out of this JV agreement?

No LAX-LHR DL route was the only "missing link" for a lot of us based in LA.
Hi there,
Some clarification -- this JV will include A combined trans-Atlantic network between the United Kingdom and North America with 31 peak-day round-trip flights (including two peak-day LAX-LHR flights). I just specifically mentioned JFK and EWR since I focus on New York.

Thanks,
DLCorpGalNYC
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DLCorpGalNYC
Hi there,
Some clarification -- this JV will include A combined trans-Atlantic network between the United Kingdom and North America with 31 peak-day round-trip flights (including two peak-day LAX-LHR flights). I just specifically mentioned JFK and EWR since I focus on New York.

Thanks,
DLCorpGalNYC
Do you know if BOS will keep the DL flight to LHR, or will it be VS only?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:34 am
[INACTIVE] Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Remember that we don't yet have antitrust immunity/regulatory approval, so everything operates as currently scheduled (and coded) until we gain that approval -- targeted for the end of 2013.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This deal hasn't yet been granted all the governmental approvals necessary for it to close.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
This deal hasn't yet been granted all the governmental approvals necessary for it to close.
I know, but where does this number come from then?

Originally Posted by DLCorpGalNYC
Hi there,
Some clarification -- this JV will include A combined trans-Atlantic network between the United Kingdom and North America with 31 peak-day round-trip flights (including two peak-day LAX-LHR flights).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.