Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is FC the new coach?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2012, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by puddinhead
But I did know a guy that saved money flying in first because of the free booze.
Hope those were TPACs from Houston!
Old Sep 30, 2012, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Sabai
You most assuredly were not in LH first class. This is what Lufthansa markets as first class: http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...en&cid=1000390

People need to quit equating the front of the plane as being FC. In the case of short-haul intra-European or intra-Asian flights, it's not, and it isn't represented as such.

Toto, you're not in Kansas anymore.
There's a reason why I've been able to get F within China for just under ¥3000.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 5:37 pm
Suspended

Probably

You probably have this right, and I am a DM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 7:03 pm

Man... Flew FLL-IAH-SFO today on UA... Warm nuts and meals on both flights, the first of which was less than 3 hours. Seems UA F is not the new Y.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by DelrayChris
Man... Flew FLL-IAH-SFO today on UA... Warm nuts and meals on both flights, the first of which was less than 3 hours. Seems UA F is not the new Y.
I had hot nuts on RJs all this summer... but I never thought it was a good ting...
Old Sep 30, 2012, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
RJs...
Old Sep 30, 2012, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
The plane... not the guy...
Old Sep 30, 2012, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
You most assuredly were not in LH first class. This is what Lufthansa markets as first class: http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...en&cid=1000390

People need to quit equating the front of the plane as being FC. In the case of short-haul intra-European or intra-Asian flights, it's not, and it isn't represented as such.

Toto, you're not in Kansas anymore.
People really need to stop pretending that calling it first class is the important thing. Everyone but you is clearly discussing the differences between the top tier products for similar stage lengths. Stop being silly. Please.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by k2
For flights <1.5hrs: disagree; intra-EU J isn't that bad; empty middle seat, quiet cabins, and meals (even on short flights) are decent perks.

For flights >1.5hrs: agree (assuming the US carrier is offering a meal, which is a shaky assumption)
Seems to be about right. just flew DUB-CDG and while not an bad experience, the intraEU KLM flights were much more comfortable. Even though the FAs kept the curtains closed between rows 3 and 4 there didn't appear to be any difference in service (no meal*, no empty seat, etc.). Still beats a CRJ though.

The walnut muffin was good though and I think wine was offered but I don't recall.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 7:59 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by pbarnette
People really need to stop pretending that calling it first class is the important thing. Everyone but you is clearly discussing the differences between the top tier products for similar stage lengths. Stop being silly. Please.
Thank you for your opinion; I'm quite sure that it's the correct one.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Thank you for your opinion; I'm quite sure that it's the correct one.
Yes, it is indeed the correct one. Perhaps not the overly pedantic one that some prefer, but the correct one.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by rjpjr
Agree completely, and why stop at 1995? If you adjust for inflation since 1970, I'm sure it can get even worse. Point is, people used to be treated like cruise ship passengers, not like cattle.
In 1973, I paid $500 for a roundtrip between the east coast and Hawaii. In 2001, I paid $500 for a roundtrip between the east coast and Hawaii.
There was a bit of inflation in that period. Something had to give.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:20 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
I see people comparing today's service to the "good old days" and while there are many differences, were things really that much better in the 70's and 80's?

Look at this old Delta Ad from the 60's. Would you really want to spend your flight with these people? ;-)
http://www.departedflights.com/DLfollowthesun62.html

This is what business class used to look like:
http://www.departedflights.com/TWnotacrowd83.html
http://www.departedflights.com/PAnowyoucan80.html

Kinda interesting, here's a DL annual report from 1982. Notice the load factor was close to 50%!!! That would bankrupt an airline today.
http://www.departedflights.com/DL82reportp1.html
**I just looked, DL load factor was around 82% in 2011.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:49 am

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
For all their woes, a recent service upgrade bulletin that an FA showed me on a flight on UA detailed some fairly big changes to the F product.

Noticeably, even shorter flights of 700/miles or 90+ minutes are now getting some kind of meal service at meal times, including hot bagel service on equipped aircraft in the mornings... I routinely fly on DL on a 721 mile 2hr10 minute segment during breakfast where the only offering in F is Biscoff or Peanuts (no fruit, no regular snack basket, nada). Apparently this is because DL doesn't want to pay for a catering contractor at this station and the aircraft overnights so the previous provisions like fresh fruit etc. are disposed of.

Ultimately, it's not the end of the world, but UA is trying to revamp the domestic F offering and certainly for meal service, they will relegate US and DL into the bottom of the heap once the service upgrades are fully rolled out.

This all said, there is something to be said about boarding into F on a hot summer day, and being able to get on first, enjoy a tasty alcoholic beverage to cool off and unwind after the stress of the airport terminal, with pillow/blanket/water all preset at the seat if I need them. Little things can still make big difference to making travel just that little bit more bearable, dare I say it, enjoyable even?!
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Whats sad is most people wouldn't understand that Ad these days. Latitude wha?

I love the old school headphones that used the air tubes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.