Is FC the new coach?

Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Is FC the new coach?

I've noticed a real decline is service over the years - 70's and 80's coach had better service than today's FC.

But I've also noticed a drop in advance purchase FC fares, sometimes only a couple hundred over coach. So is the next step starting add-ons in FC? Paying for better food, bulkhead seats, etc?

If all of the seats are sold in FC, that doesn't leave any for status travelers. I'm GM and the last time I flew coach I was 80 on the waitlist for 2 seats so the only way I can fly FC is to buy the ticket.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: Delta-Diamond Medallion, United-Premier 1K, Hilton-Gold, SPG-Gold, National-Executive, Hertz-Preside
You have a really good point here. I'm iffy on it. I like being able to go ahead and purchase a FC ticket at times when I'm afraid of not getting upgraded (trans-cons) and like how low the FC tickets have become. I also hate to not get upgraded on a K or Q ticket. I guess they want the extra money and that's ok.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mfullmer
You have a really good point here. I'm iffy on it. I like being able to go ahead and purchase a FC ticket at times when I'm afraid of not getting upgraded (trans-cons) and like how low the FC tickets have become. I also hate to not get upgraded on a K or Q ticket. I guess they want the extra money and that's ok.
Wow, this sure is a different tone than the one you set this morning with this thread....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...onds-away.html

Posts more like this one here might have kept that thread open, no?
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
No.
The quality of coach has declined, but FC is still better than coach was in the 70s.
In fact, the quality of IFC has improved (take a look at OZ F /SQ R)
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: Delta-Diamond Medallion, United-Premier 1K, Hilton-Gold, SPG-Gold, National-Executive, Hertz-Preside
People just love to go around trying to start things. Enjoy yourself and have a nice day.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I think all around its declined. Yes the amenities such as in flight entertainment and seating has improved in F, but everything else has declined some. My opinion is it has to do with the overall environment... Y has declined so drastically that it pulls down F along with it.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
We were on 757-300 yesterday LAS-ATL...24 FC seats. They were awful. The plane looked to be very old, so that was likely the cause for lack of comfort. The seat itself wasn't long enough, it felt like you could slide out at any moment, and that was without reclining.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by rylan
I think all around its declined. Yes the amenities such as in flight entertainment and seating has improved in F, but everything else has declined some. My opinion is it has to do with the overall environment... Y has declined so drastically that it pulls down F along with it.
Well, Y has also become cheaper.
The kettles are SLC though.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Wow, this sure is a different tone than the one you set this morning with this thread....

That's why I buy P fares.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:56 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
I cannot believe that DL would possibly get so cheap that they'd charge for amenities in FC, but I guess nothing would surprise me anymore.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by puddinhead
That's why I buy P fares.
I love the P fares. I've seen them recently as low as Q fares...not quite as low as K fares...on some routes.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott. Hilton Diamond, Hertz something...
Originally Posted by Sez_Who

Probably need to leave that thread in that thread -

I never flew in the 70's and certainly never in FC in the 80's so I have no real reference point. However I enjoy FC in the 2010's - so no complaints from me.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL-Pyrite Medallion
Before this thread gets too far along, a quick Google search turns up a Wall Street Journal article from the past year that shows that since 1995, average airfares adjusted for inflation have fallen 21%. Further, in 1980, the average fare adusted for inflation was just shy of $600 while today's average is around $340.

With that in mind, please continue the discussion about why the amenities of air travel today don't stack up to the 70s and 80s.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by jtrue28
We were on 757-300 yesterday LAS-ATL...24 FC seats. They were awful. The plane looked to be very old, so that was likely the cause for lack of comfort. The seat itself wasn't long enough, it felt like you could slide out at any moment, and that was without reclining.
I flew on one of those SRQ-ATL and somewhere else. Not sure if it was the same plane or they all are like this but the 1CD bulkhead had a big patch over a hole that looked like it could have been a monitor. It was in serious need of a make-over.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
No.
The quality of coach has declined, but FC is still better than coach was in the 70s.
In fact, the quality of IFC has improved (take a look at OZ F /SQ R)
Domestic FC hasn't - International foreign carriers are way better but flying within the US is just a grind.
On the last flight (LAS-JFK) there was a line at the FC bathroom from coach. I was in 1C and kept getting bumped for the line that was 3 deep. It used to be a big deal to not have anyone standing in the front, now it is just ignored.

I just accept it, flying is faster than driving, but my expectations are now lower.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.