Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is FC the new coach?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2012, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by puddinhead
On the last flight (LAS-JFK) there was a line at the FC bathroom from coach. I was in 1C and kept getting bumped for the line that was 3 deep. It used to be a big deal to not have anyone standing in the front, now it is just ignored.
DL is either unwilling or is unable to enforce its own policies (eg, the FC LAV, carry-on size/quantity, FC OH bin space).
Old Sep 25, 2012, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
Domestic FC hasn't - International foreign carriers are way better but flying within the US is just a grind.
On the last flight (LAS-JFK) there was a line at the FC bathroom from coach. I was in 1C and kept getting bumped for the line that was 3 deep. It used to be a big deal to not have anyone standing in the front, now it is just ignored.

I just accept it, flying is faster than driving, but my expectations are now lower.
I found domestic FC on Delta to be far superior to domestic FC in European carriers, based on what I have flown in Europe on Air France and Luftansa.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kwaj boy
I found domestic FC on Delta to be far superior to domestic FC in European carriers, based on what I have flown in Europe on Air France and Luftansa.
I was referring to transcontinental flights.

I've only flown KLM CityHopper, FC wasn't much to rave about.

At the other end was RyanAir and EasyJet, both of which made SW look luxurious by comparison. And those airlines charge for everything, a second bag is stupid expensive. It is only OK if you are traveling naked.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:16 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I've noticed a real decline is service over the years - 70's and 80's coach had better service than today's FC.
The soft product in all classes has deteriorated. Today's FC meals are closer to 70's and 80's coach meals than they are to the FC meals served back then. And today's coach meals don't exist. Back then, airlines routinely flew with more FAs than the minimum required by the FAA. Now they never do. However, in terms of seat quality and IFE (the hard product), today's experience is better.

But I've also noticed a drop in advance purchase FC fares, sometimes only a couple hundred over coach. So is the next step starting add-ons in FC? Paying for better food, bulkhead seats, etc?

If all of the seats are sold in FC, that doesn't leave any for status travelers. I'm GM and the last time I flew coach I was 80 on the waitlist for 2 seats so the only way I can fly FC is to buy the ticket.
If you were number 80 on the waitlist you weren't getting the upgrade, no matter how many FC seats DL sold. However, business travelers (or their companies) are far less willing to pay for FC than they were in the 70's and 80's. Partly due to general belt-tightening and partly due to a bigger difference between Y and F fares. So DL has a choice of squeezing a few extra bucks out of an otherwise unsold F seat or giving the seat to an elite for free. Evidently the loyalty value of the elite does not always trump the few extra bucks.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 3:48 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by Kwaj boy
European carriers don't cheapen the moniker First Class by using it on short and medium haul flights. International first class is a different animal all together, and trumps any US carrier's business class.

The marketing, product, and expectations are different. A lot of US-based flyers also expect to get "upgraded" into the front cabins based upon their status; that usually doesn't happen. There are a lot of Flying Blue plats who ride in the back of Fokkers.

There's not always equivalence between US FFPs and those of other countries.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 6:11 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
For me, at least half of the pleasure of flying FC is the simple knowledge that I'm flying first class. It's particularly pleasurable to think about how the majority of the passengers are suffering back in coach.

That said, I'm a) too young to remember when FC was any different than it is today, and b) I'm a petty, petty man.

Free booze doesn't hurt either.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Sabai
European carriers don't cheapen the moniker First Class by using it on short and medium haul flights. International first class is a different animal all together, and trumps any US carrier's business class
And you actually get decent service on a short haul intraEU flight, at least on KL.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 8:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by sbjnyc
And you actually get decent service on a short haul intraEU flight, at least on KL.
Just how much service do you actually consume on a 1:30 flight? Service or no service (I disagree on the magnitude of any difference), I think that intra-EU J is an absolute joke.

When I fly, I value comfort far above service. To that end, the better seating on the US carriers trumps any advantage the EU carriers may have on service - this is doubly so, since hard product differences are more consistent. The better technology (IFE, wifi, etc) is also a significant advantage for US carriers.

When it comes to service, my only real interest is to minimize my hassle. To my mind, the vast majority of that hassle relates to non-flight stuff and I don't think the US carriers do a particularly better or worse job at things like check-in and boarding compared to the Euro carriers. Within reason, the on-board service is pretty much beside the point to me.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 8:37 am
k2

Originally Posted by pbarnette
Just how much service do you actually consume on a 1:30 flight? Service or no service (I disagree on the magnitude of any difference), I think that intra-EU J is an absolute joke.

When I fly, I value comfort far above service. To that end, the better seating on the US carriers trumps any advantage the EU carriers may have on service - this is doubly so, since hard product differences are more consistent. The better technology (IFE, wifi, etc) is also a significant advantage for US carriers.

When it comes to service, my only real interest is to minimize my hassle. To my mind, the vast majority of that hassle relates to non-flight stuff and I don't think the US carriers do a particularly better or worse job at things like check-in and boarding compared to the Euro carriers. Within reason, the on-board service is pretty much beside the point to me.
For flights <1.5hrs: disagree; intra-EU J isn't that bad; empty middle seat, quiet cabins, and meals (even on short flights) are decent perks.

For flights >1.5hrs: agree (assuming the US carrier is offering a meal, which is a shaky assumption)
Old Sep 27, 2012, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Stripe
The soft product in all classes has deteriorated. Today's FC meals are closer to 70's and 80's coach meals than they are to the FC meals served back then. And today's coach meals don't exist. Back then, airlines routinely flew with more FAs than the minimum required by the FAA. Now they never do. However, in terms of seat quality and IFE (the hard product), today's experience is better.

If you were number 80 on the waitlist you weren't getting the upgrade, no matter how many FC seats DL sold. However, business travelers (or their companies) are far less willing to pay for FC than they were in the 70's and 80's. Partly due to general belt-tightening and partly due to a bigger difference between Y and F fares. So DL has a choice of squeezing a few extra bucks out of an otherwise unsold F seat or giving the seat to an elite for free. Evidently the loyalty value of the elite does not always trump the few extra bucks.
I've gotten food in coach on AA both domestic and international.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 8:56 am

Flying in the 1970s (and, to a much less extent, the 1980s) was a big deal; many people even dressed up for the occasion. Today, air transportation has become a commodity; more people are traveling more often. It's actually called progress -- what was once reserved for the affluent, and only occasionally accessed by the middle class, is readily available to most everyone.

Change is a part of life. Your neighborhood grocery store looks drastically different today than it did 30 or even 15 years ago, as a shifting trend toward prepared & gourmet foods has taken place. Or maybe your neighborhood grocery store was triumphed by a large SuperCenter.

Some parts of change are for the best. Others aren't. At least for some people.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Bagels
Flying in the 1970s (and, to a much less extent, the 1980s) was a big deal; many people even dressed up for the occasion. Today, air transportation has become a commodity; more people are traveling more often. It's actually called progress -- what was once reserved for the affluent, and only occasionally accessed by the middle class, is readily available to most everyone.

Change is a part of life. Your neighborhood grocery store looks drastically different today than it did 30 or even 15 years ago, as a shifting trend toward prepared & gourmet foods has taken place. Or maybe your neighborhood grocery store was triumphed by a large SuperCenter.

Some parts of change are for the best. Others aren't.
Similar to coffee several hundred years ago compared to who can afford it now.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Down3Green
Before this thread gets too far along, a quick Google search turns up a Wall Street Journal article from the past year that shows that since 1995, average airfares adjusted for inflation have fallen 21%. Further, in 1980, the average fare adusted for inflation was just shy of $600 while today's average is around $340.

With that in mind, please continue the discussion about why the amenities of air travel today don't stack up to the 70s and 80s.
You may be making a rash assumption of what is the cause and what is the effect.

Has FC service been reduced because the fares are too low?

Or, are fares lower because FC service has been reduced and the folks are no longer willing to pay higher fares for what they get?

As an example, look at the food and snack policies. Seriously, how can they justify not putting Sun Chips in the FC snack basket, just because the flight is too short?

Does it take longer to pass a snack basket containing Sun Chips? That's hard to believe.

Does it take longer to pass a tray containing pretzels and peanuts, than it does to pass a snack basket containing chocolate? Similarly hard to believe.

No good single malt (actually, no single malt at all). Generic, watered-down beers.

DL Management has become a bit too parsimonious when it comes to the product that they wish to portray as being first class.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Has FC service been reduced because the fares are too low?
Yes.

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Or, are fares lower because FC service has been reduced and the folks are no longer willing to pay higher fares for what they get?
No.

Even the upgrade in food, bev, and service from Ryanair-level to International FC-level is worth no more than $250. I seriously doubt the introduction of micro-brew beer or a single malt will fool anyone into paying a huge premium for a 2 hour flight. Ditto for the presence or absence of peanuts, sun chips, or chocolate.

I take a dim view of many people, but even I draw the line at thinking there are scores of people so irrational that they are thinking "I'd pay $2k for that flight to MSP if they had SunChips and Lagavulin, but since they don't, I'm going to take the $250 coach flight instead."

There is simply no possible combination of services that would allow for charging significantly higher prices than are charged today. There simply isn't enough possible value to justify the kind of pricing you saw in the '70s and '80s. That they managed it then suggests only that people back then had exceedingly low expectations.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by mfullmer
I love the P fares. I've seen them recently as low as Q fares...not quite as low as K fares...on some routes.
L fare. I actually saw a T once:

MKC DL X/MEM DL ORL277.21LA01A0SA/WNUP

Cheaper than WN by $100 on a similar flight timeframe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.