Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Toughest domestic UG's! The top 10 list!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Toughest domestic UG's! The top 10 list!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2012, 8:32 am

Programs: PC: Platinum, DL: PM, National: Exec
ATL-LGA/JFK at peak times

Monday morning I was #40something as a platinum out of over 70 on the upgrade list. No upgrade for me.

It was funny/sad that about half the passengers on the MD were either in first or on the upgrade list.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
As I get to fly non stop out of DTW to most places, I would say the toughest are or the ones with the longest lists I have seen in the last year on the GIDS are:

DTW-LAX (I usually fly the 5PM or 7PM and always if clear get one of the last seats at the gate)
DTW-SFO (a tad easier than LAX now that they are flying 757s and 767s for the summer months)
DTW-SEA (only really on the 737s)
DTW-ATL (depends on the day of the week and aircraft)
DTW-SLC (again depends on the aircraft, the noon and 7PM Airbus are very tough)

Others: DTW-TPA, DTW-JFK (on the Intl feeder flights at 3PM and 5PM), DTW-SMF (a319 seasonal has seen some long lists)

Now as another poster has mentioned, TPA is very medallion heavy, and I have seen DTW-TPA flights where first is completely empty and they are selling UG's at the gate and DTW-TPA where the list is 20 deep and first is full already. I have seen Friday night flights where 1 week this happens and the next its the complete opposite.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 8:50 am

Programs: DL DM
SLC-DTW one of the hardest I've seen. List 40+ long. WHen Zone "Sky" called half the plane boards.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 8:58 am

Anyone have luck getting upgraded on LAX-ATL or ATL-LAX as PM? I am 0-for-20 (or so) and can't get any luck on this route. I have traveled on different days and different times (Thursday night red eyes, Friday night red eyes, weekday and weekend mornings/afternoons) without success. I'be flown on all sorts of economy fare buckets except Y. Flights through MSP have been much better but can't stand the no-IFE seats.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: DL DM/Marriott Plat
As a PM, the only UGs I have missed all year were RDU-ATL on Friday nights, and a few ATL-RDU on Sunday nights.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by andysiz
Anyone have luck getting upgraded on LAX-ATL or ATL-LAX as PM? I am 0-for-20 (or so) and can't get any luck on this route. I have traveled on different days and different times (Thursday night red eyes, Friday night red eyes, weekday and weekend mornings/afternoons) without success. I'be flown on all sorts of economy fare buckets except Y. Flights through MSP have been much better but can't stand the no-IFE seats.
I've had 3 UGs LAX-ATL this year as a GM. One red-eye and two early morning flights. My % is still very low, but I don't track it closely.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: DL - KM/DM MM, AA - AP, HHonors Diamond, Emerald Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Espeially Mon and Fri! TPA has a lot of high level medalions.

TPA -LAX was rough for me on a sat night as DM.
+1 Yep...
Old Jul 24, 2012, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Couldn't the OP just do a search on FT? There are already a dozen+ threads on this subject on this forum.

-RM
Old Jul 24, 2012, 9:43 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, DL DM MM. National Exec... and my CC qualified for Plat. Status!
Monday mornings cvg-atl always has 50+ on the list and it is usually a MD 88. Gotta be up there..
Old Jul 24, 2012, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL PM (not for long)
BOS-MSP? I was #2 as a PM on a Y fare on an early evening flight on a Thursday.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
BOS-MSP and MSP-BOS are tough. DMs in the back and on Monday mornings I have seen the UG list at ~60-70.

Other ones I have seen are:
HOU-ATL with a 50+ UG list (but I have limited data on that)
PHX-ATL (peak times)
MEM-LAX
SFO-DTW
DTW-BOS - the only time I was upgraded was on a Y fare.
ATL-BOS on Thursday nights

I tend to fly at peak times a lot, so my data may be skewed.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:20 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
ATL-SAN... Ridiculous how many DMs are on that route. Plus, lots of people that just buy the first class seat.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:25 am

Programs: Delta DM, Delta Reserve, Singapore Silver, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by Orion
SLC to DCA/BWI is tough for upgrades. I don't recall even one upgrade on these routes when I was a platinum. I will be glad to make economy comfort as a gold.
Next week I expect to fly into platinum again so I should make economy comfort on these hard to upgrade routes.
As a GM and PM I have never missed a BWI UG to any city. At DCA it's hit or miss depending on the route. About 25% of my flights are BWI, the rest DCA.

Most of my travel is on weekdays
DCA-SLC-DCA is tough. I'ver never missed SLC-BWI
From DCA.. ATL is tough as well as UG on the DCA-LAX AS flight.

I think ATL-LAX/SFO/SEA are tough.
SLC-LAX-SLC
FLL-ATL can be tough too at times.

I agree with the A319/A320 flights on any route are tough. I avoid these AC like the plague.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:32 am

ATL-PHL on Mondays has more sky elite than regular passengers.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Orion
SLC to DCA/BWI is tough for upgrades. I don't recall even one upgrade on these routes when I was a platinum. I will be glad to make economy comfort as a gold.
Next week I expect to fly into platinum again so I should make economy comfort on these hard to upgrade routes.
SAN - to and from any Delta hub, especially Sun/Monday and Thurs/Fri.

Many times there's a DM or two in back and rarely is there a GM up front except mid-week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.