Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Toughest domestic UG's! The top 10 list!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Toughest domestic UG's! The top 10 list!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:42 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
Agreed. SLC-ATL, MSP or DTW is impossible. Maybe the 6am to MSP on a 757 works....lol.
SLC-ATL on the redeye very possible as a FO with a companion, or at least it was until 11 months ago. Also got upgraded on the 767-300ER ATL-SLC.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I shoud just add...

Anything on the newly reduced FC - A319/320's.... The loss of 4 seats makes a huge difference.
Add FCM to that and it is almost impossible.

Was missing LGA-MSP on M/B fares as a DM last year, only when started buying P fares did I get up front.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 1:10 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
I'm shocked this hasn't been mentioned yet, but anything to/from ORD (especially ATL, DFW, JFK) is pretty much impossible for PM and below, and a crapshoot at best for DMs on LUT fares.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by B7e7US
SLC-ATL on the redeye very possible as a FO with a companion, or at least it was until 11 months ago. Also got upgraded on the 767-300ER ATL-SLC.
Flew this route (ATL-SLC Redeye) as a PM last February. Was #15 on the list with two seats left.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Is someone or the OP going to compile this data? Creating a thread like this without some organisation for folks to does not seem as useful in the long term as the thread grows.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by rwoman
Is someone or the OP going to compile this data? Creating a thread like this without some organisation for folks to does not seem as useful in the long term as the thread grows.
+1

Was wondering when/how this "top 10" would be formed.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Agree with BOS-MSP and BOS-DTW especially with all the Airbii on the route. I do wish DL would have kept the 757s that NW used to run on these routes.

BOS-ATL is also tough when it's an Airbus (which is way too often) or even an MD-90.

Almost all my missed upgrades are out of BOS to or from those three cities, usually on H/Q/K fares; I almost always get upgraded on my connecting flight.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 3:08 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 2MM, AA EXP
all this thread tells me is that the DM program is almost totally worthless.

And about that "Rumor" thread, it seems that it is total BS too. I think we are in the third quarter and no spend based program.

AA/UA getting most of my international paid J. Unfortunately being ATL/LAX based I am stuck with DL domestically and just pay for Pup.

Try getting upgraded ATL-LAX on a Sunday afternoon on K+ AMEX reserve, it's like winning the lottery.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by dcline414
I'm shocked this hasn't been mentioned yet, but anything to/from ORD (especially ATL, DFW, JFK) is pretty much impossible for PM and below, and a crapshoot at best for DMs on LUT fares.
Hmm. I'm 100% between ORD and JFK/LGA, not only as GM for the last couple years but silver before that. And my luck with the west coast seems the opposite of others': I'm 3 for 4 between JFK and LAX but 0 for 6 between JFK and SFO. All of which to say YMMV, hence the difficulty of compiling lists like this.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 4:01 pm

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, HHoners Gold, SPG Gold, National ExecElite, Hertz PC, Avis First
YMMV indeed. As a PM, I'm 100% on the JFK/LAX-SFO trans-cons this year (8/8,) and on the two times I've needed to head out west via ATL (once to LAX on the 77L and once to SFO on a 763) I've been upgraded at the window.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 4:14 pm

Programs: DM, KM,
Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
Agreed. SLC-ATL, MSP or DTW is impossible.
Got this UG last Fri afternoon, but missed the ATL-SLC the previous Sunday afternoon. Only UG I've missed this year.

Also, after a drought of ATL-SEA-ATL UGs, I've managed to score the last 4 trips. I normally schedule the early afternoons on both legs--dep on Wednesday and return on Sunday.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL PM | Marriott Gold | Alaska Gold
Flying SFO - LAX on a Monday evening in a couple weeks. Currently showing number 19 or 27 on the list via the mobile app. Good thing it is a short flight and I have an aisle seat in the exit row.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 4:25 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Originally Posted by andysiz
Anyone have luck getting upgraded on LAX-ATL or ATL-LAX as PM? I am 0-for-20 (or so) and can't get any luck on this route. I have traveled on different days and different times (Thursday night red eyes, Friday night red eyes, weekday and weekend mornings/afternoons) without success. I'be flown on all sorts of economy fare buckets except Y. Flights through MSP have been much better but can't stand the no-IFE seats.
I got upgraded ATL-LAX on a Friday am flight. Only time I've taken this flight so I don't know if I just got lucky, but it sounds that way.

Originally Posted by ceamus1
BOS-MSP and MSP-BOS are tough. DMs in the back and on Monday mornings I have seen the UG list at ~60-70.

Other ones I have seen are:
HOU-ATL with a 50+ UG list (but I have limited data on that)
PHX-ATL (peak times)
MEM-LAX
SFO-DTW
DTW-BOS - the only time I was upgraded was on a Y fare.
ATL-BOS on Thursday nights

I tend to fly at peak times a lot, so my data may be skewed.
I agree with the MEM-LAX, I've missed that upgrade many times. LAX-MEM Monday am flights are impossible too, probably the toughest I've personally seen.

Originally Posted by DCAproducer
As a GM and PM I have never missed a BWI UG to any city. At DCA it's hit or miss depending on the route. About 25% of my flights are BWI, the rest DCA.

Most of my travel is on weekdays
DCA-SLC-DCA is tough. I'ver never missed SLC-BWI
From DCA.. ATL is tough as well as UG on the DCA-LAX AS flight.

I think ATL-LAX/SFO/SEA are tough.
SLC-LAX-SLC
FLL-ATL can be tough too at times.

I agree with the A319/A320 flights on any route are tough. I avoid these AC like the plague.
I always get my LAX-SLC or SLC-LAX upgrade.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by nystateofmind
JFK-LAX would be at the top of my list, but JFK-SFO you do see GM and lower getting upgrades at off-peak times. JFK-LAX trumps ATL-LAX because since Delta moved the 77L to the morning upgrades have been more likely because you do not have as many connections from DC/NYC/BOS to that flight

ATL-DCA especially at peak times forget about it
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
+1
+2...I can't even begin to tell you how tough DCA-ATL is. Especially on a Wed, Thurs, or Fri. Even having a K fare or higher as a Diamond you'll be #10 on the list out of DCA on the 757 departure flight. It's all those YCA fares! If you want First out of DCA-ATL between the 1-6pm bank of flights on the days I listed above, you better have an M fare at minimum with the Delta Reserve!
Old Jul 24, 2012, 4:54 pm

ATL SNA. MUCH harder then ATL LAX. I fly both routes a lot and as a DM on cheap fares have a decent shot on LAX but NO shot on SNA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.