Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Toughest domestic UG's! The top 10 list!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2012, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM

I was trying to put together a list of the routes where the UG's(complimentary medallion) are the toughest. I don't fly enuff to put a whole list together but would like to see what you warriors think! Off the top I can think any JFK BE to the west coast and any ATL LAX flights. please fill in the rest!
Old Jul 24, 2012, 7:53 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Atl-sfo
atl-sea
dtw-sfo
dtw-lax
dtw-sea

Day and time are huge factors as well.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by sectflyer
I was trying to put together a list of the routes where the UG's(complimentary medallion) are the toughest. I don't fly enuff to put a whole list together but would like to see what you warriors think! Off the top I can think any JFK BE to the west coast and any ATL LAX flights. please fill in the rest!
JFK-LAX would be at the top of my list, but JFK-SFO you do see GM and lower getting upgrades at off-peak times. JFK-LAX trumps ATL-LAX because since Delta moved the 77L to the morning upgrades have been more likely because you do not have as many connections from DC/NYC/BOS to that flight

ATL-DCA especially at peak times forget about it
Old Jul 24, 2012, 7:58 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by nystateofmind

ATL-DCA especially at peak times forget about it
+1
Old Jul 24, 2012, 7:58 am

Programs: UA1k, DL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Don't fly as much anymore, but two years ago I was doing SFO-MSP weekly for a month and only got upgraded once as a PM. I think those were the only upgrades I missed the entire year.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
LAX-ATL
Old Jul 24, 2012, 8:03 am

I shoud just add...

Anything on the newly reduced FC - A319/320's.... The loss of 4 seats makes a huge difference.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 8:04 am

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
ATL-TPA, Peak times. Lots of Diamonds in the back and lists > 40
Old Jul 24, 2012, 8:06 am

Surprised there hasn't been a-

If you want FC, buy FC remark...

They are slipping
Old Jul 24, 2012, 8:06 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
DTW-DFW and vice versa. Usually a CRJ900 or Embraer, almost never an MD with the larger J cabin. Definitely elite heavy, wait lists for UG 20-plus often.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by tmontemb
ATL-TPA, Peak times. Lots of Diamonds in the back and lists > 40

Espeially Mon and Fri! TPA has a lot of high level medalions.

TPA -LAX was rough for me on a sat night as DM.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 8:14 am

Programs: Starwood
Originally Posted by rwoman
LAX-ATL
i disagreee. LAX-ATL is not as tough for DMs. I have done several last minute SDCs and still gotten FC upgrade. ATL-LAX from noon-7pm on weekdays are tougher.

This list needs to be based on medallion level, cos a GMs upgrade headache is definitely not this DMs problem.

toughtest UG's for DM -
toughtest UG's for PM -
toughtest UG's for GM -
Dream UG routes for FOs -
easiest routes for Non-REV upgrade -
Possible SHEENA UG routes -
Old Jul 24, 2012, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by jjdub86
DTW-DFW and vice versa. Usually a CRJ900 or Embraer, almost never an MD with the larger J cabin. Definitely elite heavy, wait lists for UG 20-plus often.
The CR9 has the best F/Y ratio in the fleet 12F 64Y. While MD's may have 16F they have a much larger Y
Old Jul 24, 2012, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
DTW/SFO for sure.
DTW/ATL is also a hard upgrade during peak times seeing it's between two elite heavy cities.
DTW/LAX can also be very hard if you are flying at peak time (although the last two times I have flown that on weekends on a U or T fare I have been upgraded at the window and a couple weeks ago I sdc'd directly into first again at the gate) and aircraft.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
SLC to DCA/BWI is tough for upgrades. I don't recall even one upgrade on these routes when I was a platinum. I will be glad to make economy comfort as a gold.
Next week I expect to fly into platinum again so I should make economy comfort on these hard to upgrade routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.