Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Hall of Shame: Photographic Evidence of Disgusting Acts by Delta Air Lines Passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pauly_long
Please post links to content which includes photographs in this discussion — along with a brief description of the photograph included in each link...

...and by brief, I do not mean underwear.

Please use the format below for consistency purposes. Date and chronological order might be helpful as well. Thank you.

Trashed Airplane Garbage and trash filled the seats of an Airbus A332 aircraft after the conclusion of a Philadelphia Eagles charter flight from Seattle to Philadelphia last year. Photograph posted by FlyerTalk member tod701 on December 12, 2013.

To save some time searching, photos are in posts (please update wiki when you post a new photo): 28, 93, 123, 164, 205, 278, 279, 286, 297, 303, 310, 321, 330, 410, 415, 418, 419, 444, 468, 483, 486, 495, 510, 529, 568, 577, 588, 606, 620, 632, 644, 661, 673, 675, 693, 708, 709, 716, 752, 773, 786, 873, 887, 907, 914, 917, 922, 934, 953, 967, 987, 998, 1006, 1013, 1019, 1025, 1029, 1032, 1036, 1037, 1058, 1067, 1107, 1131, 1137, 1151, 1159, 1163, 1179, 1201, 1243, 1246, 1249, 1268, 1279, 1295, 2028, 2235, 2237, 2240, 2241, 2936
Print Wikipost

Hall of Shame: Photographic Evidence of Disgusting Acts by Delta Air Lines Passengers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Vegasmusician
So... The other day I had a guy next to me all decked out in his suit and lookin spiffy and important for the flight in F from JFK to SLC.

The flight takes off and he orders a glass of red wine and an additional empty glass. He then proceeds to take a swig, swish it around and spit it into the empty glass. This continues until he finishes the wine transfer of glasses and then orders another and another empty.
After I shoot a few glances of "what the hell are you doing", he says "I love wine but don't drink alcohol".
It was pretty damned disgusting.
No photograph cause he was right next to me and it would have been obvious, but I figured it was good enough to tell.
.....I want to see him try this with the hooch in the SC.. Although I am sure many of us wished we had ordered that extra glass or bucket during our first experience with the enhanced liquor offerings
Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I agree that both are disgusting and I realize you are merely attempting to use an analogy to illustrate your point; but what you describe could be the sign of an eating disorder — certainly not analogous and potentially more serious in terms of health issues than simply swishing wine in one’s mouth before spitting it out.
IME people with health-threatening eating disorders (i) do everything they can to persuade people around them that they don't have an issue with food and in fact have healthy eating habits or (ii) don't eat in front of other people. So I do feel comfortable with the analogy because someone with a serious eating disorder just wouldn't do this. Not that I think this is healthy behavior, no more than wine swishing/spitting outside of wine-tasting events anyway. Anyway, I'm not a medico, but I think we can agree both are disgusting for fellow PAX.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by us2
First thought here given the destination of SLC is not of Bill W. but that he's very possibly a Mormon.
I have ceased to be surprised by things they do here. The Church and legislature have made it illegal for the bartender to mix or pour drinks in sight of patrons at restaurants. There are now 7 foot tall partitions between them and the customers: the Zion Curtain.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
The flight takes off and he orders a glass of red wine and an additional empty glass. He then proceeds to take a swig, swish it around and spit it into the empty glass. This continues until he finishes the wine transfer of glasses and then orders another and another empty.
After I shoot a few glances of "what the hell are you doing", he says "I love wine but don't drink alcohol".
I wonder why he couldn't reuse the same gulp over and over?
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:01 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
Not that I think this is healthy behavior, no more than wine swishing/spitting outside of wine-tasting events anyway.
This was also on my mind as I was responding to you, as I think that “wine swishing/spitting” even at a wine-tasting event is disgusting as well and yet accepted; but then again I do not drink alcoholic beverages, so that entire concept is foreign to me.

In fact, when I read this following account...
So... The other day I had a guy next to me all decked out in his suit and lookin spiffy and important for the flight in F from JFK to SLC.

The flight takes off and he orders a glass of red wine and an additional empty glass. He then proceeds to take a swig, swish it around and spit it into the empty glass.
...up until that point, I figured it was indeed a tasting of the wine.

If that action as described by Vegasmusician was indeed a legitimate tasting of wine, would that be appropriate and acceptable yet not disgusting?
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
This was also on my mind as I was responding to you, as I think that “wine swishing/spitting” even at a wine-tasting event is disgusting as well and yet accepted; but then again I do not drink alcoholic beverages, so that entire concept is foreign to me.

In fact, when I read this following account......up until that point, I figured it was indeed a tasting of the wine.

If that action as described by Vegasmusician was indeed a legitimate tasting of wine, would that be appropriate and acceptable yet not disgusting?
I don't think so. There is a time and place, and being confined with people in a plane and holding your ejecta in some vessel right next to your seatmate is definitely not it. There is also the ludicrous aspect of treating the swill DL serves as wine worthy of being "tasted". Believe me, you're not missing anything by not consuming alcoholic beverages in DL FC

p.s. I also think swishing/spitting is disgusting even at wine tastings, and I say this as a wine lover, but I know it is accepted behavior and I can imagine it's even mandatory if you're actually tasting for a living.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by slowly
I wonder why he couldn't reuse the same gulp over and over?
I was wondering this, too. I'm not enough of a wine snob to understand why taking many "fresh" swishes would be much better than just reusing the same one, nor why there'd be pleasure or purpose in doing it more than once in the first place. I assume that with each swish, spit and other things get mixed in and alter the taste, but not to an extreme degree... and what pleasure is there in repeatedly tasting but not consuming the same beverage anyway?
Old Jan 26, 2014, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by mooper
I was wondering this, too. I'm not enough of a wine snob to understand why taking many "fresh" swishes would be much better than just reusing the same one, nor why there'd be pleasure or purpose in doing it more than once in the first place. I assume that with each swish, spit and other things get mixed in and alter the taste, but not to an extreme degree... and what pleasure is there in repeatedly tasting but not consuming the same beverage anyway?
There isn't. At real wine tastings, and especially when done by wine critics or buyers, the idea is to compare the tastes of many different wines without allowing the alcohol to impair one's judgment. It also allows one to test many different wines over the course of a short period of time. No one just swishes and spits the same wine over and over - at most two or three times. This guy sounds like he had some sort of mental disorder.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerslc
...the idea is to compare the tastes of many different wines without allowing the alcohol to impair one's judgment.
Hmm. Maybe he was practicing/refining the swishing technique itself - not caring about that particular wine? Not that it would excuse his behavior... one shouldn't practice bedroom techniques in flight, either (though we've seen reports of that, too!)
Old Jan 26, 2014, 4:04 pm

...If that action as described by Vegasmusician was indeed a legitimate tasting of wine, would that be appropriate and acceptable yet not disgusting?
Not legitimate wine tasting. If it was, he'd order only one glass of several types or even half a glass (if they are serving out of full bottles). When wine tasting, you spit so that you can try many without becoming inebriated. Should you find one you fancy, you can order a proper glass and SWALLOW. By ordering a second glass to spit, he is beyond tasting.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 8:12 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by uclalum
Not legitimate wine tasting. If it was, he'd order only one glass of several types or even half a glass (if they are serving out of full bottles). When wine tasting, you spit so that you can try many without becoming inebriated. Should you find one you fancy, you can order a proper glass and SWALLOW. By ordering a second glass to spit, he is beyond tasting.
Thank you for the explanation, uclalum. I now understand the purpose of spitting out the wine.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
IF he is a Mormon, since there is a small amount of alcohol uptake from the mouth and nose, would this be kinda like a Jewish person chewing a piece of ham and then spitting it out? I mean, aren't religious rules intended to make a person forgo something? I suspect he was either a little strange (read, unbalanced) or seeking to provoke you (and others) by such a disgusting act.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 10:40 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by relangford
IF he is a Mormon, since there is a small amount of alcohol uptake from the mouth and nose, would this be kinda like a Jewish person chewing a piece of ham and then spitting it out? I mean, aren't religious rules intended to make a person forgo something? I suspect he was either a little strange (read, unbalanced) or seeking to provoke you (and others) by such a disgusting act.
I, being LDS, will go ahead and put on my religious cap and proffer my opinion: IMO, yes, I think it would be similar. In general, alcohol consumption is supposed to be avoided at all times. I don't want to nitpick with the slight alcohol uptake during the tasting (because one could easily argue that a slight amount will remain in the saliva, which is regularly and subconsciously swallowed). If he is indeed a Mormon, then that's his personal choice, and you'll meet a lot of people who take more liberty with certain principles. However, that's assuming he was in face LDS, which at this point is purely extrapolation.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:46 am

Let's consider another angle... if one is allergic to alcohol, what level of exposure is needed to induce a sensitizing reaction?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:47 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
This thread has given new meaning to spit vs. Swallow. In any event, pix or it didn't happen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.