Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SWU madness....

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:14 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Once again I missed an UPG this week because agents do not know how to process the PMUs. I tried 4 phone calls this weekend and nobody knew. Eventually I gave up.

At the airport the SkyClub lady said it wasn't done properly and now that list was closed - spectacular.

I have sent yet ANOTHER email to Delta.

Does anyone know exactly what an agent needs to do in order to process the PMU correctly? Doesn't appear this will be solved by DL so perhaps we need exact instructions to tell an agent.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:15 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Once again I missed an UPG this week because agents do not know how to process the PMUs. I tried 4 phone calls this weekend and nobody knew. Eventually I gave up.

At the airport the SkyClub lady said it wasn't done properly and now that list was closed - spectacular.

I have sent yet ANOTHER email to Delta.

Does anyone know exactly what an agent needs to do in order to process the PMU correctly? Doesn't appear this will be solved by DL so perhaps we need exact instructions to tell an agent.
You mean they didn't know how to change the coding after you told them what it should be?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm not sure if this is current, however the language required in the record used to be:

OSI DL PSGR USING SM SYSTEMWIDE UPGRADE

The SWU number and redemption code also needs to be entered in the record.

Again, totally unacceptable that the vast majority of agents still don't know how to enter SWU data correctly, and that it will bump up your place on the airport upgrade list.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by HongKonger
You mean they didn't know how to change the coding after you told them what it should be?
No - just don't know what it should be.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:51 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Wanted to bump this thread for a question on my swu's... first of all, i love them, have used them twice this year, and was #1 on the UG list, and cleared
SFO-JFK and back as a PM on a K fare on a friday morning. However, i still have all of my SWUs showing in my account. Will they go away at some point, it has been over a month since both flights

Second, it seems there is confusion on the topic of when to apply the SWU. Can i checkin to my flight at t-24, and see how the upgrade list looks say at t-8. Is it then possible to call in and have yourself un-checked in, and then apply the SWU? I would rather do it before it gets to the airport, since i have had luck with the phone reps once you tell them exactly what to do. Seems once it is in airport control, its hit or miss. I just wanted to make sure that phone reps can un-check you in with no issues.

Thanks
Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA G; DL G
I'm bumping this thread because I believe my current itinerary has a SWU coded incorrectly.

Itinerary currently shows:

Segment 1: Economy H With Seat Assignment
Segment 2: Economy H With Seat Assignment
Segment 3: Same
Segment 4 Same
Segment 5: Same

Segment 1: Waitlisted G Not assigned
Segment 2: Waitlisted Z Not assigned

From reading up thread, it appears in this case I need to call because the waitlisted SWU segments are showing at the end of the itinerary compared to at the beginning. SWU experts, should I be calling? I'm traveling on Sunday so I have some time to get this straightened out.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by FlysthruBNA
I'm bumping this thread because I believe my current itinerary has a SWU coded incorrectly.

Itinerary currently shows:

Segment 1: Economy H With Seat Assignment
Segment 2: Economy H With Seat Assignment
Segment 3: Same
Segment 4 Same
Segment 5: Same

Segment 1: Waitlisted G Not assigned
Segment 2: Waitlisted Z Not assigned

From reading up thread, it appears in this case I need to call because the waitlisted SWU segments are showing at the end of the itinerary compared to at the beginning. SWU experts, should I be calling? I'm traveling on Sunday so I have some time to get this straightened out.
This looks right but you should call to be sure
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:18 am

Explicitly told by agent on PM line that the SWU would not move me up the list. Called back and got the SWU applied but she did not take me off the regular upgrade request list and her supervisor told her it would not make any difference. I insisted she do so, and she said are you sure you want me to take you off the list? I said sure, as I had nothing to lose being 8th or something with 2 seats left. I got the last FC seat.
Amazing they don't know how their own system works.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 2:37 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by flyerslc
Explicitly told by agent on PM line that the SWU would not move me up the list. Called back and got the SWU applied but she did not take me off the regular upgrade request list and her supervisor told her it would not make any difference. I insisted she do so, and she said are you sure you want me to take you off the list? I said sure, as I had nothing to lose being 8th or something with 2 seats left. I got the last FC seat.
Amazing they don't know how their own system works.
Might be talking apples an oranges here. FlysthruBNA has a flight Sunday. So far, nothing looks out of place. On the other hand, flyerslc had the not so uncommon experience of what happens on the day of flight. Somehow during the checkin process, his SWU had been recoded as a normal medallion upgrade, hence number 8 on the list. If you are coded correctly, I can't imagine a SWU would be lower than 2 or 3, unless a bunch of PMs and DMs had the same idea you did, which is unlikely. So, once you have checked in, ALWAYS call the PM/DM desk and ask what your upgraded is coded. As flyerslc said, they don't know their own system, even the DM desk. You need to press them until they tell you it is coded UP2A (DM) or UP2B (PM). If the desk person doesn't know, have them ask a supervisor. Or, just call back and hope you get an agent who knows. But wait, there's more.

Now you should be able to see your position on the list at either Delta.dumb, which is still unreliable, or the Delta app, which seems to be accurate. If you have not moved up, you still are coded wrong. If time is getting short, get to the gate a little early (like 45 minutes) and check the monitor. This will be your final check on correct coding. If you are still low on the list, talk to the GA. Have your SWU number ready, just in case it has completely disappeared. The GA should be able to take care of you and code it correctly. If not, have them call a Red Coat.

Finally, you want a Z (soon to be OP) upgrade. These are a little trickier. In my experience, you will never see an upgrade list, which is a bit frustrating. You HAVE to talk to a GA to make sure they know you are using a SWU. Like others, I have missed upgrades because somehow the coding dropped. Since intl flights board earlier, you need to get to the gate at least an hour early. If you think the PM/DM Desk did you right, then got that cherished #1 slot on your domestic flight, and finally reconfirmed at the Sky Club, you might be in for a big surprise. Thinking I was good, i had that extra beverage in the Sky Club, arrived at the gate about 45 minutes early and asked about my upgrade, as I could see seats using the incredibly slow internet in the Club. Nope, they never heard of me, and OBTW, "we're sorry, but we no longer have any Business Elite seats on this flight, as we have filled them up (unsaid, by non-revs)". Lesson learned, go to the gate (SWU number in hand) and ask about your upgrade. Once the GA has confirmed, then you might want to go back for that last drink, or just wait to get the fake champagne when you board.

Note, if you are like me, you want the SWU used on the intl flight, and might not care about the domestic flight. Once you burn it on the domestic flight, it is gone. There are no guarantees you will be able to use it on the intl flight. Stuff happens, and 5 empty seats could suddenly become 0 with an IRROPS or some other unexpected event. Be aware of that. This also applies when you call for your initial upgrade. If Z is not available when you call, waitlist THAT leg only. If you do not, you will be waitlisted Z for the intl and G for the domestic. If G inventory is available, it will clear and your SWU is debited from your account. Again, no guarantees for the Z.

To FlysthruBNA, hopefully you will clear today or tomorrow on the domestic flight. However, Z inventory does not USUALLY open up this close to a flight, so you will probably have to check that at the airport. If you have EF, set a Z alert. If you get one, call immediately and ask for your upgrade.

Hope this wasn't too long, and if there are any doubts email away. To other FTers, if I got something wrong, there is no pride in authorship, and we are all here to help each other, correct away.

Av8n
Old Feb 21, 2013, 5:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would add to this excellent advice that you should know not only the SWU number but also its redemption code in case the GA needs this. The easiest way is to log into your DL FF account, go to My Delta, then certs. On the certs page, click on the words Details (for all of them) and then print.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:18 am

SWU madness....

LuvAv8n, The 2nd segment is still a domestic flight, just coded as Business class because its transcon.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 8:42 pm

Currently playing rep roulette trying to see if SWU applied correctly... This is CRAZY!
Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:04 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by FlysthruBNA
Currently playing rep roulette trying to see if SWU applied correctly... This is CRAZY!
Now you are committed to tell us what happened, though I think most of us know most of the story. We need the ending!
Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:52 pm

Question - am waitlisting for a JFK - California transcon, and those never clear until day of departure at the gate.

Does the certificate number and redemption code need to be in the record when I first request the waitlist, or can it only be added within 24 hours?
Old Jul 8, 2013, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The cert info can be (and should be if the agent did it correctly) entered when you request the SWU waitlist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.