Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SWU madness....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2012, 3:31 pm
mpp

Third time with @deltaassist did the trick. They checked me out and rechecked me in. Went from 9 tp 1 on the list. Now I only hope I did not lose my confirmed seat in coach as the flight is oversold and I'm not planning on taking the bump (which I know is sacrilege on this site ).
Old Apr 22, 2012, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mpp
Third time with @deltaassist did the trick. They checked me out and rechecked me in. Went from 9 tp 1 on the list. Now I only hope I did not lose my confirmed seat in coach as the flight is oversold and I'm not planning on taking the bump (which I know is sacrilege on this site ).
you won't. If it's wayyy overbooked, start negotiating the bump compensation. It worked for me in CVG earlier this month. They didn't find anyone and finally got back to my 'offer'.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 5:51 am

Programs: DL PM
First time SWU user

This is my first time trying to use SWUs, and I'm not sure they've been applied correctly to my PNR. I'd like to attach a screenshot, but I guess I don't have enough posts to do that yet, so I've made it available at http://www.hogchain.net/photos/misc/swu.jpg .

Trip summary:
Outbound: JAN-ATL-SEA-FAI
Return: FAI-MSP-ATL-JAN

On the outbound flights, I've been booked into G for the JAN-ATL segment, and I'm waitlisted for G on the ATL-SEA segment (noted by the green arrow on the screenshot). That looks correct.

On the return flights, I'm booked into G for the MSP-ATL segment, but I'm not showing waitlisted for G on the FAI-MSP segment (red arrow). That doesn't look right. If the SWU is correctly applied, shouldn't I show as waitlisted on the FAI-MSP segment?

Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 6:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA EP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by /dev/null
This is my first time trying to use SWUs, and I'm not sure they've been applied correctly to my PNR. I'd like to attach a screenshot, but I guess I don't have enough posts to do that yet, so I've made it available at http://www.hogchain.net/photos/misc/swu.jpg .

Trip summary:
Outbound: JAN-ATL-SEA-FAI
Return: FAI-MSP-ATL-JAN

On the outbound flights, I've been booked into G for the JAN-ATL segment, and I'm waitlisted for G on the ATL-SEA segment (noted by the green arrow on the screenshot). That looks correct.

On the return flights, I'm booked into G for the MSP-ATL segment, but I'm not showing waitlisted for G on the FAI-MSP segment (red arrow). That doesn't look right. If the SWU is correctly applied, shouldn't I show as waitlisted on the FAI-MSP segment?

Thanks for your help.
Please post your receipt's fare construction. It does look like something's wrong here. Has your ticket been reissued into any of the upgraded classes?
Old Apr 28, 2012, 6:19 am

First, thanks for looking.

Fare Details: JAN DL X/ATL DL X/SEA DL FAI$$$.$$MB14UPNQ DL X/ MSP DL X/ATL DL JAN$$$.$$KB03A0NQ/XX2G2 USD$$$.$$ END ZPJANATLSEAFAIMSPATL

I'm not sure if the ticket has been reissued.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 6:36 am

I'm not sure if the ticket has been reissued.
You can tell if it's been reissued by looking at the online receipt and checking the fare class. If it's your original/purchased fare, it hasn't been reissued. If it shows G or Z, it's been reissued.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 6:40 am

It has not been reissued. The receipt shows the originally booked fare classes.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 6:45 am

It has not been reissued. The receipt shows the originally booked fare classes.
Don't know how long you are from departure; however, if it's relatively soon I would call and ask that the confirmed segment(s) (looks like only JAN-ATL now) be reissued immediately.

This does a couple of things - first, confirms your seat up front for JAN-ATL and also makes sure your SWU is coded properly since they won't be able to reissue the ticket properly for the confirmed G/Z segments if it isn't coded properly.

You really can't/won't know if all is coded properly until you do OLCI at T-24 and monitor your status on the list. You should be very near the top as the only individuals trumping you would be a higher-fare PM using an SWU or a DM of any fare using an SWU.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 6:52 am

Thank you very much. I'm 80+ days from departure.

I'll call and ask for reissue.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 6:54 am

Thank you very much. I'm 80+ days from departure.

I'll call and ask for reissue.
Helpful hints - 1. Since you are so far from departure, they're going to tell you that your ticket is "on the queue" to be reissued. Tell them you've heard of issues with this working and prefer to have it reissued now. If they resist, say thanks and hang up/call back.
2. State you are on an international reservation when calling so that you get routed to desks that have more reissue authority.
3. If all goes to plan, they can reissue over the phone with you on hold while they're on with the GTS reissue desk.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by ryanfinger
So, here is my list of things I go through...

Make sure the SWU is listed first in the PNR. You can see this online when you look at your flight as it should list the wait listed flight first, then your coach seat. If not, call to adjust.
:-)
Thanks

I had two SWU's on two different records. Both showed the wait listed G after the economy flight. I called and the first agent I spoke to told me both had been entered incorrectly and adjusted.

I asked what do I need to tell the agent to make sure its done right. He said "In our system you first have to document the SWU in the ticket, then you put a remark in the record and then you move the Wait listed ticket and put it first" He was kinda difficult to understand but very helpful, so I didn't push for clarity. It does tell me

1. Delta need to train their DM agents. Its crazy that this problem continues
2. Having the SWU wait list before the confirmed segment is an indicator its been done right
Old Oct 4, 2012, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
Thanks

I had two SWU's on two different records. Both showed the wait listed G after the economy flight. I called and the first agent I spoke to told me both had been entered incorrectly and adjusted.

I asked what do I need to tell the agent to make sure its done right. He said "In our system you first have to document the SWU in the ticket, then you put a remark in the record and then you move the Wait listed ticket and put it first" He was kinda difficult to understand but very helpful, so I didn't push for clarity. It does tell me

1. Delta need to train their DM agents. Its crazy that this problem continues
2. Having the SWU wait list before the confirmed segment is an indicator its been done right
Data point: I recently went through this with an agent (and their supervisor), who both said that the order in which the UG request using a SWU appears in the record doesn't matter.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
i am bookmarking this thread. after having paid up and sat in the back for two transcons, i am enraged with the lack of consistency and number of hurdles one needs to jump.

the knowledge here is invaluable though, I wish i saw it a week ago

thanks for your contributions - looking forward to applying them in practice
Old Oct 12, 2012, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by goodandclassy
i am bookmarking this thread. after having paid up and sat in the back for two transcons, i am enraged with the lack of consistency and number of hurdles one needs to jump.

the knowledge here is invaluable though, I wish i saw it a week ago

thanks for your contributions - looking forward to applying them in practice
Well the SWU woes continue. In my case I got lucky (much due to EF). Had two international segments. First (shorter one) cleared, the second TPAC leg did not as there was no Z. Fine, I'll take my dice with Z opening up.

Well DL had 11 open seats and finally at T minus 3 days opened up 2 Z (got my EF notification). But what was more troubling was after a few hours of Z opening up I did not clear. So I call the DL DM line and they manually cleared me and reissued the ticket. As soon as that was done I checked EF and sure enough, Z=1 (DM agent also confirmed 2 open before she cleared me, 1 after).

I thought this is supposed to be automated. So are you telling me a PM on an M fare if he/she called in earlier could have snagged those seats away from a waitlisted DM on Y?

DM agent says I was "supposed" to clear by priority, but mentioned that if I didn't clear the only possible explanation was that someone else was waitlisted. But if that was the case, why didn't anyone clear and Z sit open for over 3 hours?

Great job for automation DL.

Oh, and it took 22 min to reissue the ticket. On an international call. Thanks DL.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:57 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Well the SWU woes continue. In my case I got lucky (much due to EF). Had two international segments. First (shorter one) cleared, the second TPAC leg did not as there was no Z. Fine, I'll take my dice with Z opening up.

Well DL had 11 open seats and finally at T minus 3 days opened up 2 Z (got my EF notification). But what was more troubling was after a few hours of Z opening up I did not clear. So I call the DL DM line and they manually cleared me and reissued the ticket. As soon as that was done I checked EF and sure enough, Z=1 (DM agent also confirmed 2 open before she cleared me, 1 after).

I thought this is supposed to be automated. So are you telling me a PM on an M fare if he/she called in earlier could have snagged those seats away from a waitlisted DM on Y?

DM agent says I was "supposed" to clear by priority, but mentioned that if I didn't clear the only possible explanation was that someone else was waitlisted. But if that was the case, why didn't anyone clear and Z sit open for over 3 hours?

Great job for automation DL.

Oh, and it took 22 min to reissue the ticket. On an international call. Thanks DL.
Regarding the 20 minute International call, try using SKYPE, I do it all the time and it works great!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.