Wiki Posts
Search

SWU madness....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2012, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
SWU madness....

Used 4 SWU's so far this year on various xxx to SFO routes that are usually heavy with people purchasing F outright. So far I am 4/4 in success. I usually scope things out with EF to figure out when I can use my normal diamond upgrade or need a SWU...

That being said.... I have yet to get a cert to apply properly on the first try. The agents seem to do this differently each time without there being a standard procedure. Now I have learned some things that send up red flags (like when the wait listed flight is listed after the coach seat in the record, won't process or if the agent attaches the cert but not the redemption code, won't process). On average it takes between 3 to 4 calls to the diamond desk to get each cert used resolved. Many times I will get someone that has no idea and I just kindly get off the phone and call back.

So for those having issues with SUW you are not alone. They work well if applied right but you do have to be willing to put in the time. On a 4+ hour flight, I am willing to play agent roulette. :-)

I really hope this gets fixed in the near term.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 10:39 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Yep, a well-known problem with DL agents. It's not their fault, they obviously have not been properly trained in the ins and outs of SWUs. Phone agent roulette is de rigeur if you want to use this benefit.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Sad phone agents can't get this right.

If you reach BF UG situation, just make sure it's coded correctly at the airport. For DM's that's UP2A-DM. Also, you have to make sure the code is correctly attached to the right flight segment. When you do priority WL (name for SWU WL), you'll have both a coach class segment which will have code UP3D (eg again for diamond) attached to the coach segment, but it is the G segment that is WL that needs to have the UP2A-DM code (or UP2B-PM for PM) attached.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL DM360, Aeroplan SE
Now I have learned some things that send up red flags (like when the wait listed flight is listed after the coach seat in the record, won't process or if the agent attaches the cert but not the redemption code, won't process). :

This is very helpful - have had mixed successes with SWU when clearing at the airport myself, can anyone please expand upon the things to check for (any fool proof way of knowing it was coded correctly / incorrectly), in terms of things to see on "Trip Details" on delta.com, or things to quiz an agent on?

Also, re. above, are you saying the Economy (H, for example) flight segment needs to be below the Business (Z) waitlisted equivalent segment in the reservation file? I don't seem to remember ever seeing it that way...
Old Apr 8, 2012, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Sad phone agents can't get this right.

If you reach BF UG situation, just make sure it's coded correctly at the airport. For DM's that's UP2A-DM. Also, you have to make sure the code is correctly attached to the right flight segment. When you do priority WL (name for SWU WL), you'll have both a coach class segment which will have code UP3D (eg again for diamond) attached to the coach segment, but it is the G segment that is WL that needs to have the UP2A-DM code (or UP2B-PM for PM) attached.
Regardless of training , this right here is the f'ing problem! They shouldn't even have stupid codes like this. It should be a checkmark and two fields to enter the cert # and redemption code. That's it! All this other stuff is just over complicated garbage.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 6:46 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
what is the code if you are kettle and using an SWU?

I.e. you pick your choice benefit as a PM one month before you become kettle?

And then you use the SWU a few months into your kettlehood?
Old Apr 9, 2012, 7:52 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by admanag
Now I have learned some things that send up red flags (like when the wait listed flight is listed after the coach seat in the record, won't process or if the agent attaches the cert but not the redemption code, won't process). :

This is very helpful - have had mixed successes with SWU when clearing at the airport myself, can anyone please expand upon the things to check for (any fool proof way of knowing it was coded correctly / incorrectly), in terms of things to see on "Trip Details" on delta.com, or things to quiz an agent on?

Also, re. above, are you saying the Economy (H, for example) flight segment needs to be below the Business (Z) waitlisted equivalent segment in the reservation file? I don't seem to remember ever seeing it that way...
I second that question. I'm on a SWU for a coming trip and and am wondering if it's been coded correctly (it's the domestic portion of an already upgraded international leg). OP, What are the tricks that make you think it's not coded correctly? Can agent really use the wrong code when they apply the SWU (ie, aren't those things somehow coded in the software?). When you call, what do you exactly ask the agent to do to fix a issue you have detected?
Can anyone tell us what are the different upgrade coded for each situation (each medallion level, either comp upgrade or SWU?).
Thanks.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA EP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by vgb2001
Can anyone tell us what are the different upgrade coded for each situation (each medallion level, either comp upgrade or SWU?).
Thanks.
Search is your friend...

UP2A -DM desiring to use SWU
UP2B -PM desiring to use SWU
UP2 -Full Y medallion desiring comp upgrade
UP3D -DM desiring comp upgrade
UP3 -PM desiring comp upgrade
UP4 -GM desiring comp upgrade
UP5 -FO desiring comp upgrade
UP6 -Companion or AS/AF/KL elite desiring comp upgrade
UP7 -Psgr on award ticket booked in R/O and confirmed in coach
SBUP- Delta paid standby upgrade program
Old Apr 9, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by LedgeT
Search is your friend...

UP2A -DM desiring to use SWU
UP2B -PM desiring to use SWU
UP2 -Full Y medallion desiring comp upgrade
UP3D -DM desiring comp upgrade
UP3 -PM desiring comp upgrade
UP4 -GM desiring comp upgrade
UP5 -FO desiring comp upgrade
UP6 -Companion or AS/AF/KL elite desiring comp upgrade
UP7 -Psgr on award ticket booked in R/O and confirmed in coach
SBUP- Delta paid standby upgrade program
And yet, on a recent SLC-JFK flight, I was confirmed (several times) at UP2A, but was still #5 on the list (on a wed 5pm flight), and was told that those ahead of me were full Y. Sat in the back.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 8:55 am
Original Poster

So, here is my list of things I go through...

Make sure the SWU is listed first in the PNR. You can see this online when you look at your flight as it should list the wait listed flight first, then your coach seat. If not, call to adjust.

Make sure they not only list the SWU but the redemption code in your PNR. This isn't anything you can see, you just need to ask.

When your are under 24 on all of your legs you are trying to upgrade I would then check in, this should start the process of moving you from the wait list to the upgrade list. In my experience this is where you will find out if everything works out. If they did their job you should get your BP's and check your status on the upgrade list. It should be fairly high, 1 or 2 I should think unless you have others using SWU's on your flight. If your listed higher on the UG list chances are you did not process the SWU and you are on the list for a medalion upgrade instead. The way to fix this is to call and have the agent validate the cert processed and that your upgrade priority is UP2a for diamonds or UP2b (I think) for plats. If you get someone that has no idea hang up and try again. I find I have the best luck with SLC agents with SWUs.

Also, if the UG list says see agent, its messed up. Some phone agents will tell you that is normal because you used a cert but that is not the case. Keep calling the medallion line until someone on the phone goes, "oh I see what is wrong..." Once they say it is fixed validate by checking the UG list yourself. Keep them one the phone until it looks correct.

A little known fact one agent told me, agents can see the status level of people on the UG list. Any agent that understands the UG order can quickly see if you are in the right spot.... they key is finding the right agent.

One other thing... if you are in a situation where an SWU processed for one leg but you are wait listed for another... (this happened to me once). You may need to call T-24 to have them actually process the cert. In my case the online system would not process it and thus I could not check it. Once they redeemed it over the phone, online check in worked and I was placed on the UG list properly.

Hope this helps.... just be prepared to a me phone calls and don't argue with an agent that does not understand the process... it will get yo nowhere... :-)
Old Apr 9, 2012, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Usually this happens when your mediallion upgrade benefit is processed instead of your cert. If they don't list the cert properly in the record I think the system defaults back to your status level even if the proper coding is there... just an assumption but I have seen similar things happen. I have had to call back several times until I got an agent who understood... of the 4 certs I have used this year I have always been 1 on the list.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 9:02 am

The UP2A status was even confirmed by the SLC SC staff. They're the ones who also told me that Y would be ahead of me.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Ya, I would not ask anyone in the SC about an SWU.... I would call the medallion line.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA EP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
The UP2A status was even confirmed by the SLC SC staff. They're the ones who also told me that Y would be ahead of me.
Incorrect. Tell them to search "KM" for "Airport Standby Priority" and they can see the proper ordering.

Then, have them check the actual Airport Standby List (ASL) for your flight to validate the coding.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by LedgeT
Incorrect. Tell them to search "KM" for "Airport Standby Priority" and they can see the proper ordering.

Then, have them check the actual Airport Standby List (ASL) for your flight to validate the coding.
Good to know. I called the DM line twice, both within 24 hours and within 3 hours, and they confirmed that I was UP2A. (On one of the calls, they didn't want to tell me, acting as if this was information that they couldn't share with me.) So how I ended up as #5 was mystifying. I did everything I could, repeatedly, to confirm...it's annoying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.