Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SWU madness....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2012, 8:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rylan
You can take the SWU with you to the new flight you SDC'd on, however as you know you would be going back to Y and have to get on the upgrade list. It depends on how good the agent is with re-doing things, and they may have to get someone else to help override.

In case of irrops, when I've have a confirmed upgrade with an SWU I was rebooked directly into F.
Originally Posted by trek87
When you were able to do this, were you on the UG list with the correct SWU priority even though your SWU had already been used (i.e., ticket reissued) for the original flight?

This has been my experience as well.
Me too, but it's not guaranteed. Technically you're only entitled to being rebooked in coach.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
mnredfox, what flight were you coming in from for intl? I'm glad you got it fixed by calling, even though it was a long call.

The system will upgrade from the waitlist automatically, however it is not instantly as we've all noticed. In fact, I don't even know how often the sweep runs, since I've seen numerous occasions where I get an EF notice of Z available but DL hasn't cleared me yet, and I've also been cleared where I never got an EF notice and it remains Z0.

The biggest frustration and thing that drives me crazy is that there is still a vast majority of agents who have no clue how to properly enter an SWU, or even know that it is supposed to give higher priority for the airport upgrade list. Even more so is when an agent doesn't even enter the SWU cert number and redemption code in the PNR, which prevents it from being reissued even if you are cleared immediately while on the phone, and also prevents it from giving higher priority.
I was flying TPE-NRT-LAX. Second leg was WL then cleared only after I called. DM on Y fare.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
When they process the SDC and reissue the ticket, they also have to re-enter the SWU text and coding properly or it won't give you the correct higher priority at the gate upgrade list.

Yeah I haven't experienced dealing with NRT for a gate upgrade with SWU yet... it always seemed to clear prior to the airport. Glad you got it for the NRT-LAX flight even though you had to call.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 9:28 am

Programs: Delta Diamond
Swu

Just happened to me at mem. Agent called supervisor and I called dm line. Nobody got it right and I am in the back now. Was told that I would get the cert back since I did t end up using it. Deltaassist couldn't help either. I should have checked all this before arriving at gate but I had seen my double intin entry and thought I was ok. Incredible that I would have to call back several times to get this sorted out.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Write and/or send an email complaint detailing what happened. It is beyond unacceptable that this continues to occur. I'm 100% for getting as much compensation as possible from this issue. Perhaps if they hand out enough miles for SWU mishandling then they'll do something about it.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
I am so sick and tired of these agents not knowing how to properly process these SWUs.

SWUs are completely worthless for international upgrades since they are never available or M fares are astronomical.

The ONLY value I get out these is pushing myself to the top of the list when I want to and less and less agents know how to do it.

I have now called 4 for this and NOBODY knows what I'm talking about. Got to keep trying
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hope some of the new DL people on the board read through this thread and see how insane it is trying to use SWUs. It should not take an act of God to find an agent who knows how to code them properly!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
I am so sick and tired of these agents not knowing how to properly process these SWUs.

SWUs are completely worthless for international upgrades since they are never available or M fares are astronomical.

The ONLY value I get out these is pushing myself to the top of the list when I want to and less and less agents know how to do it.

I have now called 4 for this and NOBODY knows what I'm talking about. Got to keep trying
I just used 2 for a TPAC RT ex-Asia though I had to take a bit of an odd routing to do it. Just more MQMs for me.

However I was waitlisted for one domestic segment and after finishing with the original agent who applied the SWU called again to ask how it was coded. The answer was UP3. So of course I had the agent change it to UP2B. You're right we shouldn't have to do this but for now we have no choice.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by HongKonger
I just used 2 for a TPAC RT ex-Asia though I had to take a bit of an odd routing to do it. Just more MQMs for me.

However I was waitlisted for one domestic segment and after finishing with the original agent who applied the SWU called again to ask how it was coded. The answer was UP3. So of course I had the agent change it to UP2B. You're right we shouldn't have to do this but for now we have no choice.
I've sucked it up and can deal with the multiple calls, but recently (and proven today) it is harder and harder to get an agent who knows. I still can't find one for my flight tomorrow
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: Delta DM-2MM,VAus VIP,, MR/Bonvoy LT Platinum, AA Ex Plat,LH FT, HH,hyatt, Accor Gold
I just flew y despite SWU, and was 5th on upgrade list.
I called diamond desk 4 x prior to 24, 3 x after and then tke sky club agent spent 20 min on the phone as well. I told them all about the up 2a etc.
, no result at all, for varying and partially conflicting reasons. The club agent was told by a diamond supervisor that there is no priority for swus once they did not clear -24, so I stayed d3 or so. Is this a new rule, or just a bad luck/ lack of agent training combo?

I will send another complaint to d desk.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 5:11 pm

Programs: DAL-PM
Originally Posted by Jmr007
The club agent was told by a diamond supervisor that there is no priority for swus once they did not clear -24, so I stayed d3 or so. Is this a new rule, or just a bad luck/ lack of agent training combo?
I just checked the standby codes on Deltanet and there are no changes. UP2A and 2B are still for DM or PMs wishing to upgrade. This is a pet peeve of mine, as I value SWU's a great deal. I should not have to tell DL how to do their job.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 6:05 pm

Perhaps someone can tell us what exactly do we ask the agents to check on Deltanet to see the correct coding needed and the upgrade order? (Do all agents know what Deltanet is?).
Old Nov 9, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA EP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mikepa
Perhaps someone can tell us what exactly do we ask the agents to check on Deltanet to see the correct coding needed and the upgrade order? (Do all agents know what Deltanet is?).
While they could check in TravelNet, the RES system will show them this info also. If coded incorrectly the change has to be made there anyway.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:20 pm

Programs: DAL-PM
Originally Posted by mikepa
The code on the Airport Standby List after your name needs to say UP2A (for DM) or UP2B (for PM). If it says UP3D (for DM) or UP3 (for PM) then the SWU coupon is not in effect and your upgrade will be processed as a normal medallion upgrade. The problem is getting an agent who knows how to apply the coupon. I dont know the keystrokes involved to use the SWU (it has been a long time since I worked the gate for DL and when I did SWUs did not exsist.) But if at least ask them to read the code after your name, you will know if the SWU is being applied and if not attempt to go up the food chain to try to get it fixed.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I hope some of the new DL people on the board read through this thread and see how insane it is trying to use SWUs. It should not take an act of God to find an agent who knows how to code them properly!
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.