Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SWU madness....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2012, 1:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA EP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
The same happened to me, and was told by 4 seperate individuals at Delta that full Y is before SWU's.

This whole UP2A priority is FT folklore. Someone stated it as true and everyone believes it. There never has been any proof of actual Delta policy to this point.
There have been numerous cases of this reported as being accurate. The ordering is direct from the DL Airport Standby List Coding. It is not "FT folklore" as you so claim.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by LedgeT
There have been numerous cases of this reported as being accurate. The ordering is direct from the DL Airport Standby List Coding. It is not "FT folklore" as you so claim.
There is nothing in you statement that proves it out.

If a Delta employee confirmed it here or you can show an actual image of the Standby List Coding document that shows the order then I would believe it.

Anything else is speculation.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
There is nothing in you statement that proves it out.

If a Delta employee confirmed it here or you can show an actual image of the Standby List Coding document that shows the order then I would believe it.

Anything else is speculation.
^+1
Old Apr 16, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
I wish these could be applied online seeing as they are electronic anyways.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by vgb2001
So I'm currently waitlisted for a flight in 10 days. My itinerary show wait list for G and below, Y (fare class) with upgrad request.
Let me know if I'm worng but I would assume that just seeing this on my itinerary should make me confident that 1. an SWU has been applied and therefore there is a UP2B (plat) applied somewhere and 2. because it says G waitlist, this UP2B is attached to G. Right?
If you are in Y fare class as a PM, wouldn't you stand a very good chance of being upgraded anyway? Y fares (even for SMs) come before any other complementary UG.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL DM
The same happened to me, and was told by 4 seperate individuals at Delta that full Y is before SWU's.

This whole UP2A priority is FT folklore. Someone stated it as true and everyone believes it. There never has been any proof of actual Delta policy to this point.
All I could add here, by way of “proof,” is my personal experience.

I have flown twice this year as a DM, LAX-ATL and LAX-JFK, using SWUs that I believe were entered correctly. Both were K fares. On the day of flight, I was #1 of 67 on the ATL flight and #1 of about 15 on the JFK flight.

IMO, it is inconceivable that there was no flyer on a Y waiting for an upgrade on the ATL flight and unlikely there was no flyer on a Y waiting for the JFK flight.

I’m very comfortable with the assertion that SWUs trump Ys.

As always, YMMV.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 5:54 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by AJDelvarno
All I could add here, by way of “proof,” is my personal experience.

I have flown twice this year as a DM, LAX-ATL and LAX-JFK, using SWUs that I believe were entered correctly. Both were K fares. On the day of flight, I was #1 of 67 on the ATL flight and #1 of about 15 on the JFK flight.

IMO, it is inconceivable that there was no flyer on a Y waiting for an upgrade on the ATL flight and unlikely there was no flyer on a Y waiting for the JFK flight.

I’m very comfortable with the assertion that SWUs trump Ys.

As always, YMMV.
I had something similar last December (between Xmas and New Year) -- Flying LAX-ATL on a K fare and used a (soon to expire) SWU. By the time we got to the upgrade window the flight was like F2. By OLCI it was F0. At the gate I was #1 of a boatload for one unclaimed seat. Got the upgrade and took the only empty seat in F.

Not proof, but evidence.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 6:37 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by ryanfinger
So, here is my list of things I go through...

Make sure the SWU is listed first in the PNR. You can see this online when you look at your flight as it should list the wait listed flight first, then your coach seat. If not, call to adjust.

Make sure they not only list the SWU but the redemption code in your PNR. This isn't anything you can see, you just need to ask.

When your are under 24 on all of your legs you are trying to upgrade I would then check in, this should start the process of moving you from the wait list to the upgrade list. In my experience this is where you will find out if everything works out. If they did their job you should get your BP's and check your status on the upgrade list. It should be fairly high, 1 or 2 I should think unless you have others using SWU's on your flight. If your listed higher on the UG list chances are you did not process the SWU and you are on the list for a medalion upgrade instead. The way to fix this is to call and have the agent validate the cert processed and that your upgrade priority is UP2a for diamonds or UP2b (I think) for plats. If you get someone that has no idea hang up and try again. I find I have the best luck with SLC agents with SWUs.

Also, if the UG list says see agent, its messed up. Some phone agents will tell you that is normal because you used a cert but that is not the case. Keep calling the medallion line until someone on the phone goes, "oh I see what is wrong..." Once they say it is fixed validate by checking the UG list yourself. Keep them one the phone until it looks correct.

A little known fact one agent told me, agents can see the status level of people on the UG list. Any agent that understands the UG order can quickly see if you are in the right spot.... they key is finding the right agent.

One other thing... if you are in a situation where an SWU processed for one leg but you are wait listed for another... (this happened to me once). You may need to call T-24 to have them actually process the cert. In my case the online system would not process it and thus I could not check it. Once they redeemed it over the phone, online check in worked and I was placed on the UG list properly.

Hope this helps.... just be prepared to a me phone calls and don't argue with an agent that does not understand the process... it will get yo nowhere... :-)
Wow, how pathetic is this? Do DL customers really have to put up with this much crap to use their SWUs? Apparently so...

I just saw the DL TV commercial an hour ago, where Sutherland was skillfully reading his lines about "an easier to use web interface" or some such nonsense.

Another triumph of marketing over substance.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by SethLevy
I am now very confused as folks are using different terms in this thread.

I currently am waitlisted as a PM for a Z SWU btw JFK-SFO.

My reservations appears as follows:

First flight listed is waitlisted flight.

JFK to SFO/ Date
5:30 JFK 9:14p SFONonstop 6h44m DL6 Business(Z)Select Seats UpgradeReq
Terminaal 2 Waitlisted

JFK to SFO/ Date
5:30 JFK 9:14p SFO Nonstop 6h44m DL6 Economy(K) 21C UpradeReq

Should the Z upgrade segment say upgrade requested, should it say priority waitlist?

Thanks.
That looks right to me. At least, that's how I remember the waitlisted segments appearing in my reservation the last time that I successfully used a PMU.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by vgb2001
So I'm currently waitlisted for a flight in 10 days. My itinerary show wait list for G and below, Y (fare class) with upgrad request.
Let me know if I'm worng but I would assume that just seeing this on my itinerary should make me confident that 1. an SWU has been applied and therefore there is a UP2B (plat) applied somewhere and 2. because it says G waitlist, this UP2B is attached to G. Right?
Not necessarily. This just means that an agent has applied the SWU and waitlisted you for a segment, this doesn't mean the UG list is coded correctly.

If you don't clear, make sure you check at the airport to ensure that the code is correct to your G segment.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 9:33 am
mpp

This is a bit maddening. Trying to apply an SWU for an itinerary today on a domestic Q fare.

One agent, said, impossible to do on the same day.

Next agent, applied it but likely incorrectly as it made no change in my position on the upgrade.

Next agent says that it can't change the order of the upgrade list because they don't have time to do that. Also said that whoever coded the SWU "must not be too bright" since it was coded incorrectly.

Will try a fourth call and see how it turns out. I'm feeling I should have taken the 20,000 miles for my choice benefit and that these SWUs will go to waste. Despite all the troubles other have, I seem to always be able to find nice award tickets with miles.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:16 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by mpp
This is a bit maddening. Trying to apply an SWU for an itinerary today on a domestic Q fare.

One agent, said, impossible to do on the same day.

Next agent, applied it but likely incorrectly as it made no change in my position on the upgrade.

Next agent says that it can't change the order of the upgrade list because they don't have time to do that. Also said that whoever coded the SWU "must not be too bright" since it was coded incorrectly.

Will try a fourth call and see how it turns out. I'm feeling I should have taken the 20,000 miles for my choice benefit and that these SWUs will go to waste. Despite all the troubles other have, I seem to always be able to find nice award tickets with miles.
@deltaassist
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
If you checked in and then applied the SWU you are in a bit of a bind since its difficult to get the medallion out of the picture. Did this once... checked in and saw how far down on the list I was and then called to add the SWU and my order did not change. Took about 5 calls to fix. Ended up being taken off both the medallion and SWU standby lists, resetting the reservation so I had not checked in, and then applying the SWU properly on the PNR (correct order, redemtion code, etc etc...) Then when I checked back in the medallion upgrade did NOT process but the SWU did and it all worked. Went from 4 with 2 seats in F to #1 just like that. It sucks and Delta does need to fix it. But when it works its great!!
Old Apr 22, 2012, 2:40 pm
mpp

Six agents (including two through @deltaassist) and nobody can seem to apply this correctly. None have ever heard of this Up2b business. Any other ideas?
Old Apr 22, 2012, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mpp
Six agents (including two through @deltaassist) and nobody can seem to apply this correctly. None have ever heard of this Up2b business. Any other ideas?
The Skyclub usually knows how to do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.