Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Latest 717 rumor: DL deal in place

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2012, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by SCEflyer
Hawaiian could be a possibility, at least for a few. They already have eight and might be interested in a few more, as part of a plan to establish a second hub on Maui.
HA is taking 3 off Boeing already this fall. When QA went under they returned 16 of them to Boeing. If DL wants some 717 action I'm sure Boeing would be happy to sell them the other 13.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:56 pm

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
Originally Posted by N830MH
Remember what happened the FLT#5191 got crashes in end of the runway. Because runway is very short and there is no way to takeoff from the runway. Because they violation of the FAA rules. They took wrong runway and doesn't have a right things.
It's 7K feet. 5191 was result of using the incorrect runway. There is a 747 that lands here seasonally for the Keeneland races.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 5:25 am

I remember PeopleExpress flew 747s into some runways that were under 7K long as well... UA also had a DC-10 into DCA
Old Mar 21, 2012, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Don't you guys talking about proposal new 717-300X?

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/...r_030918g.html

Can Boeing will have reconsider again to built newest 717-300X? It will bring more than 100 - 130 passengers. I think they will restored the 717 production again.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Replace the CRJ 900 flights with 717, the CRJ 700 flights with CRJ 900, and the CRJ flights with 700!!!

A life without the CRJ.....a dream!!!
Old Mar 21, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
Replace the CRJ 900 flights with 717, the CRJ 700 flights with CRJ 900, and the CRJ flights with 700!!!

A life without the CRJ.....a dream!!!
Actually, according to the November investor presentation, becoming more and more a reality:

Old Mar 21, 2012, 2:15 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
What's all the vitriol agains the MD88s here? While I share the majority view here that adding 717s to DL's fleet would be a good thing and I know they're getting a bit long in the tooth, I haven't been on an MD88 yet that was in any way below par. I think they've held up well, and ANY former MD design (DC9s thru 717) rides/flies smoother IMHO than any Boeing or Airbus product.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Originally Posted by gsupstate
What's all the vitriol agains the MD88s here? While I share the majority view here that adding 717s to DL's fleet would be a good thing and I know they're getting a bit long in the tooth, I haven't been on an MD88 yet that was in any way below par. I think they've held up well, and ANY former MD design (DC9s thru 717) rides/flies smoother IMHO than any Boeing or Airbus product.
I like the 2 seat side of the 2-3 Y config on those planes too.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 2:22 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
I like the 2 seat side of the 2-3 Y config on those planes too.
Yes!! I'd HATE to see fewer mainline a/c that offer that in the fleet for sure!
Old Mar 21, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
They do NOT work well on Mon/Thu/Fri routes between major cites/hubs. In the summer there is not enough overhead space for all FOs to stow bags in the overhead, and in the winter there's barely enough room for Zone 1 (now SKY)!

It's a no-brainer that these planes can only hold about 1 rollaboard and 1-2 small bags in the overhead per every 5 pax. When over half the plane is medallion or AmEx holder, most expecting to carry on luggage, this just doesn't work. At all.

No complaints about the ride, but I wish they had at least personal audio, if not video. DL is using these on a lot of 2-3 hour flights and I would kill for a 737 instead.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by dcline414
They do NOT work well on Mon/Thu/Fri routes between major cites/hubs. In the summer there is not enough overhead space for all FOs to stow bags in the overhead, and in the winter there's barely enough room for Zone 1 (now SKY)!

It's a no-brainer that these planes can only hold about 1 rollaboard and 1-2 small bags in the overhead per every 5 pax. When over half the plane is medallion or AmEx holder, most expecting to carry on luggage, this just doesn't work. At all.

No complaints about the ride, but I wish they had at least personal audio, if not video. DL is using these on a lot of 2-3 hour flights and I would kill for a 737 instead.
Guess I didn't think about that. I usually travel as light as humanly possible. How expensive could it be (in the long term) to retrofit them with some basic form of IFE, as long as they're still wringing good useful life out of them?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 2:48 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus
Guess I didn't think about that. I usually travel as light as humanly possible. How expensive could it be (in the long term) to retrofit them with some basic form of IFE, as long as they're still wringing good useful life out of them?
The reason is because there isn't enough space on the MD-88 relay panels for an IFE system. DL would have to install larger relay panels on them to add IFE, which would cost a lot of money.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 2:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Count me among those also happy with this idea. I've flown a pair of 717s with Airtran and they're definitely decent aircraft in fine shape. And very similar to the D95...obviously.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 3:11 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Platinum
This is a no-brainer for Delta. From what I have read, the 717 has a lower CASM than the E190/E195 and current A319 and a far lower CASM than the Shortbus A318.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 5:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by veliger
This is a no-brainer for Delta. From what I have read, the 717 has a lower CASM than the E190/E195 and current A319 and a far lower CASM than the Shortbus A318.
Delta needs a more modern fleet without the old baggage like American Airlines has which is in bankruptcy right now and it will take a long time for it to come out of it.

American Airlines got stuck with older planes than Delta for the most part but Delta is profitable right now. So it is time for the Boeing 717's to come onto the fleet to replace some planes.

Delta Mainline fleet: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Air_Lines_fleet

Delta does not run Embraers or CRJ's or the other types as regional airlines run those planes for Delta.

Delta could use some of those 717 in Mainline to replace A319, DC9-50 and possibly some MD88's.

Yes you are right I didn't include the A319 in those. If the 717 is more fuel efficient and Delta can live with the range and pax of the 717 perhaps it could make sense. The A319 were acquired from NorthWest and Delta could move to an all Boeing fleet.

Another strategy would be to use the 717's at the new LaGuardia Hub and expand mainline aircraft so Delta would run flights on 717 out of LaGuardia instead of depending on regional carriers. In this senario it would displace regional airlines.

LaGuardia will start to get phased in very soon and will expand services over there. But existing schedules show they plan on at least at first using regional airlines but they could want to use the 717's to migrate to a Delta run show at LGA which I think is very possible as the 717's come in.

If 717s get allocated to airports like LGA, then the MD88s would still be around, and so will the A319's for awhile yet. The DC9-50's however will get phased out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.