Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2022, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by 59Impala
most importantly…. The overhead bin is primarily for the passenger sitting in that row - period. Other bags should be gate checked and for a fee in my view.
Thant's the dream but sadly not enforceable.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This sort of stuff makes me crazy, recently when traveling with several family members who were scattered around the cabin, I was in a window seat, and my son always tries to be helpful getting the rest of the family's bags. My bag had been maybe two feet behind my row, as that was the only space. When I got into the aisle, it was not there, but I figured that my son had grabbed it. When I got off the plane none of them had it. This caused a big stink as I then had to wait for everyone to deplane. At the end of the day, someone had moved it back about SEVERN rows from where I was sitting!

As for the people who dump their bags in the first few rows of Business and head to the depths of economy. If there is any issue whatsoever with storage upfront, I point out the bag to the FA, and explain that it was dumped there by someone who continued into Economy. At which point either the FA will page the person to come forward. However I have also seen people not do so, and their bag removed from the plane, which for security reasons is the right thing to do.

I do have a friend though who in similar situations, will get up grab the bag, go up the jetway and say he wishes to check it. Which they do. I can only imagine the commotion this causes later on at the other end!
wrp96, Keystone and FabCW like this.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 6:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by philemer
Thant's the dream but sadly not enforceable.
Not my dream. If that were to become the rule, can you imagine the increase in the number of people that try to board before their zone or stand right in front so they can be the first one in their zone to board?

Also, if everyone brought their allowed carry-on, all bags wouldn't fit, so logistically it would be a disaster.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
Not my dream. If that were to become the rule, can you imagine the increase in the number of people that try to board before their zone or stand right in front so they can be the first one in their zone to board?

Also, if everyone brought their allowed carry-on, all bags wouldn't fit, so logistically it would be a disaster.
Agreed, and conversely if nobody in a row brought a carry on then it goes empty while someone two rows back has to check it.

Since there isn't space for every seat to have a spot, reserved bin space by row is nonsensical.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by defrosted
Agreed, and conversely if nobody in a row brought a carry on then it goes empty while someone two rows back has to check it.

Since there isn't space for every seat to have a spot, reserved bin space by row is nonsensical.
On top of that, starting with the bulkhead head row, everything has to go up which means those carryons extend past that row. Then there’s rows (often the bulkhead) that have emergency equipment above that row. And then FAs often put their bags up there (my last couple flights their stuff was in the OH above the bulkhead row).

In short, agreed that any attempt to try to reserve or allocate bin space by row is just futile.
chica, jetsfan92588, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by eneq
My carry-on…With more than just underwear and a razor. I don’t check bags, so I carry clothes for my entire trip. My clothes aren’t THAT expensive, but I also don’t want to have to deal with the hassle of buying new shirts, pants, etc.
yes, that would be a hassle, but how often does this happen to people? It's not something I would worry about at all. Most people on planes realize that other people's luggage is mostly full of ... clothes!
Old Sep 4, 2022, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by defrosted

yes, this is one of those things that sounds like a good idea until you think about it for more than three seconds and instantly see how impractical it is
Old Sep 25, 2022, 7:39 am

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
Was flying through ATL Friday night and while probably nothing will top the federal agent in the SkyClub with my experiences, we got to ATL 20 minutes early and this guy was very eager to get off the plane. He was pushing through everyone to try and be first one off. As he’s pushing through “excuse me guys I really need to run my connecting flight boards in 7 minutes”. Not departs in 7 minutes, not even doors closing in 7 minutes, but starts boarding in 7 minutes and he wasn’t even in first so it’s not like he’s the first one on. He gets up to me at 2A with all of his pushing and shoving, tries pulling that on me to where I’m like “yeah my connection is a lot tighter than your’s, my flight is actually boarding right now” (I got on standby for an earlier flight home). That shut him up real quick and everyone in First started laughing.
enviroian, wrp96 and Kerrirdh like this.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets
Was flying through ATL Friday night and while probably nothing will top the federal agent in the SkyClub with my experiences, we got to ATL 20 minutes early and this guy was very eager to get off the plane. He was pushing through everyone to try and be first one off. As he’s pushing through “excuse me guys I really need to run my connecting flight boards in 7 minutes”. Not departs in 7 minutes, not even doors closing in 7 minutes, but starts boarding in 7 minutes and he wasn’t even in first so it’s not like he’s the first one on. He gets up to me at 2A with all of his pushing and shoving, tries pulling that on me to where I’m like “yeah my connection is a lot tighter than your’s, my flight is actually boarding right now” (I got on standby for an earlier flight home). That shut him up real quick and everyone in First started laughing.
You never know the story behind the story.

Was he self important? Perhaps.

But maybe…

He’s generally a nervous person?
His connection was a a gate far away.
He can’t walk well.
He is new to flying and doesn’t know stuff as deeply as we might here on FT.

Sometimes we all need to step off our FT pedestals and give others the benefit of the doubt.

I hope it made your day that others around you starting laughing.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 7:48 am

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by zrs70

But maybe…

He can’t walk well.

Sometimes we all need to step off our FT pedestals and give others the benefit of the doubt.
He started running right behind me, so he was physically able, and even if it was a gate far away DL boards their flights 40 minutes prior (as clearly indicated on boarding pass). It took me 17 minutes to get from T1 to F1 not even running, he had plenty of time.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by zrs70

But maybe…

He can’t walk well.

I hope it made your day that others around you starting laughing.
There is a 99% that he wasn't any of the situations you describe and just some typical self absorbed tool thinking it's all about him. Kudos to coke cans for calling this specimen out.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 8:55 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hertz President Circle
looking to the back of the plane

You forgot how he jumps up at 10000 feet and goes for the overhead. Looking back to the other end of the plane, he makes sure everyone can see he's in FC.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 1:02 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
I've seen this line jumper type many times and tend to feel sorry for them, considering all the folks who will plant bags in the aisle to trip them up.

The wife and I sat next to an extremely nervous guy against the window in coach who had a very tight connection domestic to Intnl in AMS. After every PA call announcing a delay at the gate on departure and then a hold for a gate at arrival he just about went quietly berserk mumbling in his seat. the wife who was next to him didn't want to look trying to pretend he wasn't there. I whispered in her ear to whisper in his ear "you're going to miss your flight" as the bad news kept coming
rcsgeorgia and Return2flight like this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 5:05 pm

As soon as I boarded and turned into the aisle, I saw a guy sitting in my 3B aisle seat. As I put my bag in the overhead, I politely said, "I think I have that seat.." He looked really annoyed and said, "I put in for the aisle seat." I assume he got a status upgrade, but he wasn't able to get his preferred seat. He moved over to the window, and I said thanks. He repeated, "I put in for that aisle seat."
Okay, now jump ahead to right after takeoff. He rang the FA button, and the FA came by. My guy says, "I put in for an aisle seat, so can you take my coffee cup for me?" He handed the FA his Starbucks cup to throw away. Bizarre. The FA took it with a smile and said sure. Then my guy points to me and says, "He's gonna have to get up a lot because I have a weak bladder and that's why I put in for an aisle seat. I don't know if he can even hear me." (I had my Bose on but heard him fine). I just said, I'm happy to let you out as often as you need to. The FA mouthed Thank You to me and went away.
Skip ahead 3 hours and the flight landed. My guy did not get up once. His weak bladder held up. Sure enough, he said one last time, "I put in for an aisle seat, so now I have to wait to get off the plane."
This was not a literal DYIWIA, but it sure was close! How dare they give me a free upgrade but NOT give me the seat I wanted!!
Old Nov 8, 2022, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by cheaptom
"I put in for the aisle seat."
Yes, and you were found unworthy by the Great Shena.
TurfGuy and GRALISTAIR like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.