FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   “Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1318124-do-you-know-who-i-am-definitive-thread-dykwia-stories.html)

runfit Jan 25, 2011 10:13 am

Originally Posted by jimrpa (Post 15731390)
Public Service Announcement for morons in the SkyClub:

That little table between chairs is NOT where you pile your duffel bags, garment bags, hat boxes, steamer trunks and shipping crates. It's primary purpose is to provide a place to set down glasses and plates from the SkyClub SkyFoodPit (TM). I shouldn't have to ask you to move your cr*p while you're busy yelling loudly on your phone about how you thought Joe and Sally were canned and you just heard that within an hour they got promotions, pay raises and cushy jobs with SuperMegaCorp in Ft. Lauderdale.

Full Disclosure - They SkyFootPit in the A17 SkyClub was kept impeccable by the attendant today, an errant olive couldn't roll more than about 2 inches before the attendant rushed over to tidy things up! For a moment I thought I was in NRT or something :D

Hey, I wasn't yelling - I just wasn't very happy at the moment!;)

fti Jan 25, 2011 10:40 am

I usually start talking just as loud as they do and talk right in their direction. They usually get the point about the volume of the call. The "stuff" is another issue.

hockeystl Jan 25, 2011 10:56 am

And while you're at it, move that rollerbag out of the middle of the aisle. Have some consideration of others that might wish to get by. :D

TheMoose Jan 25, 2011 10:59 am

You'd think that with Delta reducing perks and convenience in these new Sky Clubs that the membership ranks would have dwindled. But since they're handing out membership like candy these days, the clubs are going to be far more crowded and people are going to have less room for their stuff.

Confront the offender, venting on Flyertalk will do nothing more than make you feel marginally better for a short period of time.

indufan Jan 25, 2011 11:03 am

Originally Posted by TheMoose (Post 15731845)
Confront the offender, venting on Flyertalk will do nothing more than make you feel marginally better for a short period of time.

Alternatively, one could decide to just not let things bother them so much.

Beckles Jan 25, 2011 11:22 am

That little table between chairs is NOT where you pile your duffel bags, garment bags, hat boxes, steamer trunks and shipping crates. It's primary purpose is to provide a place to set down glasses and plates from the SkyClub SkyFoodPit (TM).

Wow, I never knew I was being so inconsiderate by placing a pen, pencil, sunglasses, boarding pass, notepad, book, magazine, newspaper, wallet, laptop, cell phone, Blackberry, or iPod on those tables. I think Delta should make it more clear what is and isn't allowed to be placed on those tables, I've been using CRC and SkyClubs for 15 years and never knew there were such rules.

GBadger Jan 25, 2011 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Beckles (Post 15732027)
Wow, I never knew I was being so inconsiderate by placing a pen, pencil, sunglasses, boarding pass, notepad, book, magazine, newspaper, wallet, laptop, cell phone, Blackberry, or iPod on those tables. I think Delta should make it more clear what is and isn't allowed to be placed on those tables, I've been using CRC and SkyClubs for 15 years and never knew there were such rules.

+1. I'll continue to place what I want on the tables. If you need room for your drink or food, you are MORE than welcome to politely ask me to move/rearrange it. Chances are I'll gladly do so because I don't trust you reaching for your 4th gin and tonic while my laptop is nearby...

It really amazes me that people expect the world to conform to them, and that they then say things like "I shouldn't have to ask you blah blah blah..." What's wrong with asking? How, exactly, do you expect me to read your mind??

MS02113 Jan 25, 2011 12:33 pm

Full Disclosure - They SkyFootPit in the A17 SkyClub was kept impeccable by the attendant today, an errant olive couldn't roll more than about 2 inches before the attendant rushed over to tidy things up! For a moment I thought I was in NRT or something :D

Good to hear. The last few times I've been in ATL (A17, A center, B25, T6), the SkyFoodPits were embarrassingly messy. (The clubs were also so crowded that the Wi-Fi was practically useless, but that’s another story.) The lack of housekeeping was inexcusable, but then so was the patrons’ carelessness/ignorance/untidiness. How difficult is it to throw out a damned olive after accidentally dropping it on the counter?

MR_MAMA Jan 25, 2011 12:43 pm

Lots of crabby people here and it's only January

jimrpa Jan 25, 2011 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by TheMoose (Post 15731845)
You'd think that with Delta reducing perks and convenience in these new Sky Clubs that the membership ranks would have dwindled. But since they're handing out membership like candy these days, the clubs are going to be far more crowded and people are going to have less room for their stuff.

Great advice and that's exactly what I did. I politely asked if he could more/rearrange some of his stuff so that I could set down my plate of celery and little cup of olives. He moved his stuff, but gave me a glare as if to say "How dare you ask me, the belle of the ball, to move my stuff?"

Originally Posted by indufan (Post 15731881)
Alternatively, one could decide to just not let things bother them so much.

Great advice, and I normally try to do just that. Sadly, that would have meant balancing a plate of celery and carrots, a small cup of olives and a beverage in my lap, and I'm very klutzy :D

Originally Posted by Beckles (Post 15732027)

Dude, please go reread my post. He was not just placing a couple of small items on the table. His baggage for his 6-month, round-the-world cruise on the QE II was literally overflowing the table and the immediate environs. There wasn't an uncovered portion table surface available. Obviously, those tables also serve to set down other small incidental items, such as the ones you list. It's more about recognizing that you're in a shared space.

Originally Posted by GBadger (Post 15732126)
+1. I'll continue to place what I want on the tables. If you need room for your drink or food, you are MORE than welcome to politely ask me to move/rearrange it. Chances are I'll gladly do so because I don't trust you reaching for your 4th gin and tonic while my laptop is nearby...

It really amazes me that people expect the world to conform to them, and that they then say things like "I shouldn't have to ask you blah blah blah..." What's wrong with asking? How, exactly, do you expect me to read your mind??

Sorry, I don't really drink, and I'd not be drinking G&Ts, let along 4 of them. As I said before, I'm not expecting anyone to "conform to me". I think it's reasonable for people to recognize when they are using shared accommodations. I absolutely will politely ask if something can be moved if I'd like to use shared space. Heck, I even do that with luggage bins before I slide a bag to one side or another to fit my bag in.

Originally Posted by MR_MAMA (Post 15732663)
Lots of crabby people here and it's only January

Actually, I was just bored :D

stencil Jan 25, 2011 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by jimrpa (Post 15733717)
Great advice and that's exactly what I did. I politely asked if he could more/rearrange some of his stuff so that I could set down my plate of celery and little cup of olives. He moved his stuff, but gave me a glare as if to say "How dare you ask me, the belle of the ball, to move my stuff?"

I mean this in as nice a way as possible, but: It sounds to me like all of this happened in your own head. You were probably understandably a bit tired from travel and security and what-not, but the guy moved his stuff, you got to sit down and eat your olives, and all was fine. Glares happen.

Here's one from me: :mad:

DLFan2 Jan 25, 2011 3:17 pm

Don't take these replies too seriously, jimrpa. On another day, your post would have generated dozens of "The last time I was in the SC, this inconsiderate SOB put his stuff...." posts, and off we'd go. As bad luck would have it, this must have been a "jump the OP" day.:confused:

jimrpa Jan 25, 2011 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by stencil (Post 15733753)
I mean this in as nice a way as possible, but: It sounds to me like all of this happened in your own head. You were probably understandably a bit tired from travel and security and what-not, but the guy moved his stuff, you got to sit down and eat your olives, and all was fine. Glares happen.

Here's one from me: :mad:

You know, you're probably right. I stand by my underlying premise. It's not necessary to pile your luggage on those tables (and we're talking luggage, not an iPhone, or a laptop case, or a pair of glasses. We're talking garment bags, rollaboards, and so on).

GBadger Jan 25, 2011 3:27 pm

Sorry, I don't really drink, and I'd not be drinking G&Ts, let along 4 of them. As I said before, I'm not expecting anyone to "conform to me". I think it's reasonable for people to recognize when they are using shared accommodations. I absolutely will politely ask if something can be moved if I'd like to use shared space. Heck, I even do that with luggage bins before I slide a bag to one side or another to fit my bag in.

Sounds good to me.

Yes, it's reasonable for people to acknowledge their surroundings... At the same time, there's nothing that says "tables are for food and drink only. Don't put anything else on them". So, if someone else has stuff on the table, I would also think it's reasonable to expect someone else wanting to use the table to politely ask about some of it being moved so that they can put their food/drink down (whether it's a G&T or a glass of water doesn't really matter too much, though things get dicier when alcohol is involved).

Classic example of why this sort of thing can drive me nuts in the grocery store the other day. I was shopping with my wife, and for various reasons, we were using a grocery cart (For those of you who have ever been to Berkeley Bowl, you realize that using carts isn't necessarily the most efficient mode of getting around the store...). Anyway, I'm trying to stay out of everyone's way, so I park myself (and the cart) at the end of one of the aisles. Suddenly I turn around to find some woman just looking at me. After about 5 seconds of awkward staring, I realize that her basket is located between my cart and the end of the aisle, so I move over a bit to give her room to get to her basket. She starts to go to the basket (still hasn't said a word), but then hesitates. She turns to me and says "I need to go over there", while pointing straight through me to the register line. Having given her lots of space to get to her basket, I don't see the problem... After another 10 seconds, I decide this is crazy and move my cart forward, at which time she proceeds to shuffle the basket forward with her foot, towards the register. She gets past me, and then turns to me to tell me that "it's WAY too heavy to pick up".

HUH? Why not just tell me that in the first place?!? I can't read your mind lady!!!

Anyway, in that particular situation, if she'd simply said something along the lines of: "excuse me, my basket is right there -- it's really heavy and I was hoping to slide it over to the register instead of picking it up." I would have instantly gotten out of the way and likely would have helped her lift it to the register. Instead we shared a 30 second awkward, silent dance.

Your line about "I shouldn't have to ask..." reminded me exactly of that situation. Just ask, whether you believe you need to or not. Generally, you'll be happier with the other person's response if you do.

indufan Jan 25, 2011 5:05 pm

Dude, please go reread my post. He was not just placing a couple of small items on the table. His baggage for his 6-month, round-the-world cruise on the QE II was literally overflowing the table and the immediate environs.

Was it literally overflowing or literally the round-the-world cruise on the QE II?