FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   “Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1318124-do-you-know-who-i-am-definitive-thread-dykwia-stories.html)

StayingHomeIsBetter Dec 8, 2010 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by hdtv4me (Post 15409729)
LOL - that is exactly what I do. But mine got so worn down that a GA pink-tag-nazi made me put a new one on mine anyway last week. She was actually quite nice about the whole thing and I had to laugh at just how tattered the tag had become.

BTW - I gate check all the time. My only complaint is that I wish they'd put my bag on last so that it comes off first. But its not too big a deal unless I'm late for a connection. I usually just sit in my seat until the entire flight deplanes and keep warm while the ramp guys bring up the bags and those pushing to get off first stand and freeze on the jetway while they wait!

The "Last-On" bag runs the risk of being the "Not-On" bag. :)

Sez_Who Dec 8, 2010 6:30 pm

Really hate to ruin this thread with a touch of seriousness but working the gate at ALTDO, we had a DYKWIA try to board with three bags. GA asked me is there was some special rule that allowed an extra bag for DM's. When I said no, she went after him immediately. She didn't even stop to genuflect before telling him one of those bags would be gate checked.

jimrpa Dec 8, 2010 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by TheMoose (Post 15408922)
This whole thread is sarcastic.

I rail on the DYKWIA-types as hard as anyone. (psst: this Delta forum has quite a few!)

Around here, it can be difficult to tell. No offense to you in particular.

icurhere2 Dec 8, 2010 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Gargoyle (Post 15409556)
Last month I had an itinerary which included a CRJ-40, CRJ-50, CRJ-100, CRJ-200 and CRJ-700. (Didn't get the hat trick, since there wasn't a CR9). I made sure to pack with only a single small rollerboard, one which I know fits the overhead. Every flight the GA's wanted to gate check it, every time I very politely and nicely told them it would fit the overhead. I did at one point say that this was my fourth RJ in 24 hours, and I knew it would fit.

I did once call Comair out (after the fact) after I intentionally brought a roll-aboard which specifically met their published requirements but was still required to gate check while priority boarding.

spudley007 Dec 8, 2010 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Gargoyle (Post 15409556)
Last month I had an itinerary which included a CRJ-40, CRJ-50, CRJ-100, CRJ-200 and CRJ-700. (Didn't get the hat trick, since there wasn't a CR9). I made sure to pack with only a single small rollerboard, one which I know fits the overhead. Every flight the GA's wanted to gate check it, every time I very politely and nicely told them it would fit the overhead. I did at one point say that this was my fourth RJ in 24 hours, and I knew it would fit.

However, at no point did I DYKWIA, and I kept my voice soft and respectful. But then, I'm not a DiAmOnD.

Just curious as to which carrier still has the CRJ-40. I thought all the connection carriers got rid of the 40 seaters, no?

Evan! Dec 9, 2010 6:02 am

Originally Posted by sethb (Post 15409171)
I've flown enough to know that putting a pink tag on my bag doesn't magically prevent it from going on the plane.

Originally Posted by BobRoss (Post 15409595)
Exactly. Don't argue with the GA. Just accept the pink tag and carry it on anyway, if you think you know better. :D

Originally Posted by tvnwz (Post 15409634)
I just always keep a pink tag on both my carry-ons. Saves time, effort and lowers the chance I might have to communicate more than needed with the GA's.

I have a pristine pink tag with me at all times. I pull it out and hold it in my hand as my BP is scanned. No one ever says a thing. My rollaboard fits into the overhead bin of most RJs. No need for the seat in front of me. I do this because of the number of times I was told it wouldn't fit and I had to show how easily it fit with no forcing of the bin door. I don't criticize the GA's for prompting me to tag my carry-on. Many rolling bags do not fit.

I want to win the war, not the battle. I would never brandish my status in the way the OP described.

Gargoyle Dec 9, 2010 7:05 am

Originally Posted by spudley007 (Post 15411481)
Just curious as to which carrier still has the CRJ-40. I thought all the connection carriers got rid of the 40 seaters, no?

Pinnacle, DL 4001, ORD-MEM

jrl767 Dec 9, 2010 7:16 am

Originally Posted by hdtv4me (Post 15409729)
... GA pink-tag-nazi made me put a new one on mine anyway last week. She was actually quite nice about the whole thing and I had to laugh at just how tattered the tag had become. ...

boarding at VPS last week the GA saw the pink tag that was already on my rollaboard from the last several CRJ flights, but specifically asked to see the stub that I had in my wallet ... she mumbled something about "new policy, we have to actually match numbers now"

18sas Dec 9, 2010 9:24 am

Originally Posted by jrl22 (Post 15412927)
boarding at VPS last week the GA saw the pink tag that was already on my rollaboard from the last several CRJ flights, but specifically asked to see the stub that I had in my wallet ... she mumbled something about "new policy, we have to actually match numbers now"

I always take a new tag even if I have an old pinkie on the bag already, because I never have the claim stub. I figure if something does go awry - not likely, but it can happen - then I figure the claim stub might help trace it. Maybe it doesn't matter, but better safe ...

rrz518 Dec 9, 2010 10:29 am

Originally Posted by DaveNC (Post 15409075)
All of the DYKWIA's attitude aside, I recently had a GA-in-training tell me I needed to pink-tag my computer backpack on an RJ. I told him no, it will fit under my seat (which it will, with room to spare). When he tried to insist, I may have muttered something under my breath about having been on more RJ's in the past two months than he had been on in his life, but I don't exactly remember. ;)

Of course, I was actually polite. I told him that if it didn't fit, I would pink-tag it.

I had a GA in MSP tell me that my (very regulation and very underpacked) rollerboard would not fit onto a SFO bound 757. (During boarding of FC no less, so all of the overhead space was empty). I took it on anyway.

TheMoose Dec 9, 2010 10:41 am

Originally Posted by rrz518 (Post 15414242)
I had a GA in MSP tell me that my (very regulation and very underpacked) rollerboard would not fit onto a SFO bound 757. (During boarding of FC no less, so all of the overhead space was empty). I took it on anyway.

Do you think they were saying it was too big, or perhaps that they thought the bins were already full to a point where even at its size it wouldn't fit?

Also, various 757s have different bin sizes. Some are significantly smaller than others.

sbagdon Dec 9, 2010 11:18 am

Originally Posted by BobH (Post 15408435)
Ironically, there are a few roller bags that will fit under a seat, a diamond would know that, the Kettles might not.

<lol>

Bob H

Yup. My old TravelPro rolling laptop bag fit just fine under-seat, and was good for an over-nighter (even with laptop). More then once, an FA would say there's no more overhead space, which made no difference to me (glad to leave it under-seat, for in-flight access)./

jjglaze77 Jan 5, 2011 5:18 am

Dear Mrs. 4E & 4F...

Originally Posted by TravellingMan (Post 14926936)
The most annoying thing is people putting up their feet on my armrest in First Class. It drives me crazy to have their dirty shoes rubbing on my elbow.

I have pointed it out to many a F/C passenger who ended up starting off with the "DYWHIA" routine and questioning the legitimacy of my birth, my background etc. Did not bother me a bit as long as their dirty shoes were off "my" armrest.

AMEN to that!

Dear Mrs. 4E & 4F,

I realize that you got stuck in Salt Lake City overnight on your way to San Diego. I am truly sorry, but no amount of travel mayhem makes my armrest your property. Please, in the future, keep your smelly feet to yourself. Oh, and when I try to reclaim my space with a gentle nudge with my elbow, there really is no need to push your foot forward further.

Thanks!

Signed,
3D

PS - Delta, please install actual bulkheads between F & Y. Thanks!

a4or3s Jan 5, 2011 5:35 am

Had that exact experience (Exhibit 1) with a teenage girl (traveling with her father) whose feet apparently hadn't been washed in weeks and consequently reeked. I stood up, looked directly at Dad, and firmly said "Her feet stink!" Said feet flew off armrest and stayed beyond smell range for the rest of the flight.

taylorc418 Jan 7, 2011 6:37 am

::rant on::

Dear Mr. 5B on MEM-IND last night,

I'm sure that you're day was very stressful, and as such, you need to "tune out" with your iPod for a few moments. However, this does not mean that you turn your iPod off when the FA is walking by, and then resume playing it throughout taxi, takeoff, flight, and landing. Additionally, I know how stress-relieving music can be, but is it necessary to be playing it at such a decibel level that all the passengers around you can hear (and judge) every word to Miley Cyrus' hit "Party in the USA?" Seriously - if you're going to jam on, make it something that the rest of us won't laugh at.

Sincerely,

5C - sad that my Wired article on AI was interrupted by "heeeeey-yeeeeah-eeee-aah, it's a party in the USA."