Search

Voucher Change Starting 15 DEC

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2011, 2:22 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bludevil
are the vouchers still transferable if issued before December 15?
Yes - all vouchers issued prior to 15 December maintain the "old" rules (transferable and combinable).
Old Dec 14, 2011, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL FO
I'm waiting for Michelle to explain how this "is still on par with other airlines in the industry" or "this policy change was not an easy decision but it was the right one" or some other crap. Boo Delta.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
temporary? gotta love rules like water

From Milepoint this is temporary maybe

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/.../#post-1062380
Old Dec 14, 2011, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by hoth300
I'm waiting for Michelle to explain how this "is still on par with other airlines in the industry" or "this policy change was not an easy decision but it was the right one" or some other crap. Boo Delta.
That should be coming any time now. While you're waiting, enjoy the crap-storm thread when Southwest ended TTF transfers ~six months ago.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...29-2011-a.html
Old Dec 14, 2011, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
I love how the justification for any and all perk pull-backs is "the other guy is doing it". Apparently not doing it FIRST makes DL "Best in Class". Striving for mediocrity will get you exactly that.

They have turned a $800 million dollar profit last year and are "solidly" profitable. Maybe a little good news for the folks who got you there DL???maybe???
Old Dec 14, 2011, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL ♦, Marriot Plt, NATL EE
I get the transferable option to crack down on theft and I get the needing a FF# to use the voucher for the same reason BUT I dont understand how the combinable vouchers plays into this decision. Combining vouchers, if tracked with a FF#, should be simple to track who is abusing the system by comparing it with the list to view the vouchers under.

I dont like this whole effort one IOTA but I at least understand the transferable option crackdown ...
Old Dec 14, 2011, 2:56 pm
Suspended

@DeltaAssist Delta Assist - ( sound of crickets )

Originally Posted by Medeski
I get the transferable option to crack down on theft and I get the needing a FF# to use the voucher for the same reason BUT I dont understand how the combinable vouchers plays into this decision. Combining vouchers, if tracked with a FF#, should be simple to track who is abusing the system by comparing it with the list to view the vouchers under.

I dont like this whole effort one IOTA but I at least understand the transferable option crackdown ...
It is funny to me that the normally outstanding and quick to answer @DeltaAssist Delta Assist will not even tweat you back if you ask about this!
Old Dec 14, 2011, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Enormous times 1,000.

Originally Posted by deltagoldflyer
I was told that too many are being stolen. That is the reason. The phone rep did not know. Says the went to the top. Does not get it. Says they may change if we email and complain about it. May change it? Really?
Seriously? You have to type the passenger name and cert number exactly... it's not like you can just guess random numbers. If this is still a problem, then have a random redemption code printed on the cert or displayed on the voucher online.

My suspicion is that this is NOT about stolen certs. Restricting combinability does nothing to address this. As others have surmised above, I would bet this is about revenue management. It keeps you from taking up expensive seats and paying nothing. If you have 3x$400 vouchers, and you want to spend them on $1,200 flights across the pond, you've still got to spend $2,400 out of pocket on DL to use them all.

If they want me to believe it's about stolen certs, I might be able to swallow non-transferability (though it is still a very bitter pill to swallow). But the fact that they will not be combinable is a farce.

Last edited by javabytes; Dec 14, 2011 at 3:08 pm
Old Dec 14, 2011, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by deltagoldflyer
It is funny to me that the normally outstanding and quick to answer @DeltaAssist Delta Assist will not even tweat you back if you ask about this!
Just like T-72... never saw many DeltaAssist responses to that one.

Edit: looks like Twitter's not working at all at the moment...
Originally Posted by Twitter
Something is technically wrong.

Thanks for noticing—we're going to fix it up and have things back to normal soon.

Last edited by javabytes; Dec 14, 2011 at 3:21 pm
Old Dec 14, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by javabytes
I would bet this is about revenue management.
We have a winner. Pretty much every action DL takes these days is about enhancing revenue, regardless what they say publicly.

I can't wait for Michelle to claim that "over 1,000,000 vouchers were being stolen annually, and that lessens the ability of customers to use them". Same excuse they used for the T-72 rule.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
I can't wait for Michelle to claim that "over 1,000,000 vouchers were being stolen annually, and that lessens the ability of customers to use them". Same excuse they used for the T-72 rule.
From where are these vouchers being stolen?
Is Delta Security so lax that Vouchers are being stolen?
Especially in these days of increased online security?

This is about Revenue Management - not wanting to pay out on the vouchers issued!

Come on .....!!!
Old Dec 14, 2011, 3:32 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864
So Delta's basically telling us we should fly on Southwest, United, or some other airline.
I haven't ever received any DL vouchers so maybe I'm not thinking apples-apples, but UA vouchers can't be combined either (well, not VDB vouchers anyway) except for vouchers within the same ticket book. Which is a bit of semantics since it's, say 4 x $100 vouchers given to you as compensation - UA still only does paper VDBs.

Still if DL has been allowing combining them, that was a nice advantage. It was stated once on the UA forum, supposedly from someone who did or used to work at UA, that a large percentage of the vouchers go unused. I want to say it was like 60% or more, which isn't hard to believe. I"ve often read that most rebate forms from store purchases never get sent in as people lose or forget about them.

I don't get why they can't be transferred with proper ID. At least UA allows you to transfer them as long as you present an ID when signing it over. How does DL care - the voucher is already sunk cost regardless of who uses it. I just have a hard time believing that many are ever stolen.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by dd1612
From where are these vouchers being stolen?
Is Delta Security so lax that Vouchers are being stolen?
Especially in these days of increased online security?

This is about Revenue Management - not wanting to pay out on the vouchers issued!

Come on .....!!!
That is BS. There are one or two types of vouchers that are not associated with a SM members account (typically given on board) that can be stolen. The way this happens is if you are on the same flight and have the number sequence it is very easy to figure out what the next number would be. You can try them until you hit an "open" one. That is THEFT. The fix for that is to eliminate them. This is just like blaming the "gaming" for the 72 hour rule. Either DL are so backwards they cant fix a specific problem so they wipe out everything or they are looking at it from a Rev management perspective...and THAT is what they are doing.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 3:36 pm
Suspended

offical DL people all gone home?

Originally Posted by avidflyer
That is BS. There are one or two types of vouchers that are not associated with a SM members account (typically given on board) that can be stolen. The way this happens is if you are on the same flight and have the number sequence it is very easy to figure out what the next number would be. You can try them until you hit an "open" one. That is THEFT. The fix for that is to eliminate them. This is just like blaming the "gaming" for the 72 hour rule. Either DL are so backwards they cant fix a specific problem so they wipe out everything or they are looking at it from a Rev management perspective...and THAT is what they are doing.
Not one of the DL people seem to be online to help out:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...askymiles.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...esinsider.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...ecommerce.html

I can PM one of them (and did), anyone else PM the others? Txs!
Old Dec 14, 2011, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
If you're going to continue to devaluate the program, the least you can do is stop destroying the few things that make your program desirable.

Lets see:
-We Lost SQ awards
-We lost the ability to change award tickets last minute
-Its harder than ever to get an upgrade because you give away status

We got:
-A slap in the face (or a bus to the face of FOs at this point)

Last edited by Canarsie; Dec 14, 2011 at 6:54 pm Reason: Deleted attempt to bypass the profanity filter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.