FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Changes to Domestic Baggage Allowance for some Silver Medallions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1290422-changes-domestic-baggage-allowance-some-silver-medallions.html)

Fly_Delta_Jets Dec 12, 2011 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by nukchebi0 (Post 17615072)
I am serious about writing to someone important in Atlanta. How do I do this?

Try emailing Richard Anderson or Jeff Robertson...their emails are [email protected].

Originally Posted by jsmith50 (Post 17615102)
Me (text to my friend at DL): "Just heard on Flyer Talk that SM is sticking it to FOs again by reducing baggage allowance to 1 free"
DL friend: "I just learned of this yesterday."
Me: "Any chance this is a sign of things to come?"
DL friend: "We should talk. Lunch on Sunday?"
Me: "Any chance in a reversal of decision?"
DL friend: "Not likely."
Me: "Would it help to encourage FTers to complain?"
DL friend: "Couldn't hurt but the environment now is not favorable for customer complaints"
Me: "hmmm."
DL friend: "See you Sunday."

This exchange earlier tonight by text messages with my friend at DL concerns me about what else we may learn about the SM program in the days, weeks, months to come.

Definitely keep us updated!

Originally Posted by exwannabe (Post 17615104)
So on UA you will be able to check 1 free bag at 50 lbs. Wow, that is so much better.:confused:

And if it is the principle of the matter, they did the exact same thing in changing there program a while back.

Either go to WN, or live with the majors who will do this.

I am a prisoner in ATL, but I prefer to fly DL regardless. Better the enemy you know than the one you don't :p

^^^

GYEWorldTraveler Dec 12, 2011 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by nukchebi0 (Post 17615137)
Grow up.

I want to write to someone in Atlanta because I read here that Delta is supposedly more receptive to complaints sent directly to executives. If you can't provide any helpful advice, just don't post.

My post states exactly where you should send the email. I would say Richard Anderson is an executive at Delta....

No need for me to grow up. I think you need to get a reality check though. As some other posters have noted, this is aligning more with DLs main competition- UA. AA is bankrupt and begging for business, US Air has a very small network comparatively and several US Carriers charge for bags (Spirit, Allegiant) while others have allowances similar to DLs for 25k-49k fliers. I think the glory days of the airlines giving away the house for all elites are over. International carriers don't even give free upgrades to First/Business for top tier fliers and definitely not 25k-49k fliers. There needs to be some differentiation between the tiers.

GYEWorldTraveler Dec 12, 2011 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by TTT (Post 17615150)
Don't many international airlines do that? IIRC, my QF flight earlier this year was 23kg but as many bags as you wanted.

23kg = 50lbs. That is pretty standard for baggage allowances for many airlines. Many airlines consider baggage over 50lbs overweight and charge a fee for them.

TTT Dec 12, 2011 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler (Post 17615250)
23kg = 50lbs. That is pretty standard for baggage allowances for many airlines. Many airlines consider baggage over 50lbs overweight and charge a fee for them.

Yes but I believe QF (and perhaps others) allows any number of bags checked but the combined weight cannot exceed the 23kg.
From QF's website:

Note: No single item of checked baggage may exceed 32kg (70lb). Other than to and from the Americas, there is no restriction on the number of pieces within the weight allowance for international travel.
http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...lobal/en#jump3

It would be interesting if Delta adopted this process. FOs can check as many bags as they want up to 70lbs, GM+ can check as many as they want up to 140lbs. Of course some DYKWIA elite will show up with 140 1lb dumbells and want to check all of the :rolleyes::D

MR_MAMA Dec 12, 2011 9:15 pm

How many people really check two bags for every flight?

n301dp Dec 12, 2011 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by MR_MAMA (Post 17615525)

If that's the case, then why is Delta deciding to charge for something that won't provide much incremental revenue?

HCSmooth66 Dec 12, 2011 9:23 pm

I think in the past 5 years I've checked a bag on a domestic flight about twice. But that's hardly the biggest complaint here.

I am not all that familiar with the lingo here. And I hate acronyms as a general rule. What is FO? And what is WN? SM, GM, PM, DM I can follow. It's the FO that I cannot come up with.

MR_MAMA Dec 12, 2011 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by HCSmooth66 (Post 17615559)
I think in the past 5 years I've checked a bag on a domestic flight about twice. But that's hardly the biggest complaint here.

I am not all that familiar with the lingo here. And I hate acronyms as a general rule. What is FO? And what is WN? SM, GM, PM, DM I can follow. It's the FO that I cannot come up with.

FO= silver medallion
WN- southwest airlines

Mike Jacoubowsky Dec 12, 2011 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by elkapong (Post 17614953)
Michelle,

Thank you for posting this first. However, this is an absolute terrible decision for DL. Why even have a silver status? What benefit is there anymore over just having an American Express card?

Delta, United, and likely more to follow, have decided that "Silver" flyers aren't worth the trouble. They may be right, don't know, but the message is pretty clear when they go after baggage allowances rather than trade away silver benefits to make more room for upper-level elites (which United has done big-time... don't know about you guys).

My daughter literally cried when I explained what UA had done to the 2P (silver), and that this was it, time to become a Kayaker. United is offering packages that sell nearly all of the benefits a 2P (silver) had to previously earn, at a fairly reasonable price. You can buy for the year, or buy for the trip. For a recent trip to China, my wife, a general member, was offered E+ seating, premiere check-in and double RDMs for $180 if I recall correctly. If you were shopping for price and then added on what you need, you'd likely come out ahead of staying loyal to an airline and often paying considerable more at times than a competing airline might be offering.

Me? I was 1P this past year (*Gold, 50k+) and United didn't kill 1P but definitely diluted it enough to make it hurt (RDM bonus cut from 100% to 50% and various things done such that it will be less-likely to see an upgrade into F). You still get E+ seating at booking, lounge access on international trips, better treatment when things go wrong. I'm giving United one more shot and doubling down, as it were, by going for the new 75k level, which allows for fee-free redepositing of award tickets, a nice benefit that offsets the reduction in RDM bonus from 100% to 50% (it will actually be 75% with the new level).

But seriously, life as a Kayaker won't be so bad. And if the airlines have made a serious mistake, they'll come back after you. But, I wouldn't hold my breath.

MR_MAMA Dec 12, 2011 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by n301dp (Post 17615555)
If that's the case, then why is Delta deciding to charge for something that won't provide much incremental revenue?

I personally think they are starting to close all the loop holes after reading what so many people are doing to earn status. All these posts just give them a map on what to do.

Almost anyone can become an FO without ever stepping on a plane if they wanted to be one, I just think this does not really affect that many people, most people here either don't check luggage or probably have a AMEX card already since they use it to earn extra miles.

Yes it sucks, but DL is just following UA lead on this. Sadly, it will also mean more people trying to carry on more luggage, which is not good for any of us.

howtofreetravel Dec 12, 2011 9:43 pm

As far as i can see it specially this change isn't that horrible.But this only opens the doors for more changes we all hate.Therefore i think we should fight it now when it is small.

slidergirl Dec 12, 2011 10:01 pm

Not for every flight. BUT, if I fly to go skiing, I will have 2 bags. I will always take my boots and helmet in one bag, and the rest of my stuff in another bag. There will be times where that extra fee for the 2nd bag will be the deciding factor in which airline I take. Some of us don't make as much money as we used to, so we do have to budget our finances. Don't begrudge us our want to travel, albeit not as a DM. I travel enough to always make FO. I've been a loyal Delta flyer since 1988. But, they keep coming up with ways to make it more difficult to maintain that loyalty.

jfulcher Dec 12, 2011 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Michelle_DeltaSkyMiles (Post 17613176)
Good afternoon,

We’re trying to do a better job notifying you in advance when changes are made that could impact your travel. That’s why I’m letting you know that we have an update to the baggage policy which impacts some Silver Medallions.

For Economy Class tickets purchased on or after December 15 for travel that will take place on or after March 1st 2012, Silver Medallions will now be allowed to check one bag (the current policy is two bags) weighing up to 70 lbs at no charge on Delta and Delta connection flights. The reason I said that it will affect “some” Silver Medallions is because Silver Medallion members with a Reserve, Platinum or Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express can still check a second bag for free.

This policy change will only impact those Silver Medallions traveling within or between the US, CA, USVI, or Puerto Rico. This change also affects SkyTeam Elite and Alaska MVP members when traveling on Delta within or between these areas.

Our website will be updated shortly and customers impacted by this change will start seeing this in the future.

While this change may impact some of you, it is still on par with other airlines in the industry. We wanted you to hear from us first.

Thanks,
Michelle, SkyMiles | Delta Social Ambassador
Connect with us at Twitter.com/Delta & Facebook.com/Delta

How about you guys just get rid of FO all together and let us gift Gold instead - FO is worthless.

OnTheSlopes Dec 12, 2011 10:16 pm

I can say me, every time I ski...which, is a lot.

SLC and DEN mountains are a staple in my life!

Otherwise, you are right, it's typically just 1...but that is one heck of a perk to be "elite" with DL.

n301dp Dec 12, 2011 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by MR_MAMA (Post 17615649)
I personally think they are starting to close all the loop holes after reading what so many people are doing to earn status. All these posts just give them a map on what to do.

Almost anyone can become an FO without ever stepping on a plane if they wanted to be one, I just think this does not really affect that many people, most people here either don't check luggage or probably have a AMEX card already since they use it to earn extra miles.

Yes it sucks, but DL is just following UA lead on this. Sadly, it will also mean more people trying to carry on more luggage, which is not good for any of us.

Whose fault is it that status can be earned without BIS? That falls squarely in DL's incapable hands. What loopholes are you talking about? As long as there is competition we will be able to find mileage runs, which puts butts in seats.

I agree completely with you on the last point. Instead of checking a garment bag for suits, I'll be carrying them on.