FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Changes to Domestic Baggage Allowance for some Silver Medallions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1290422-changes-domestic-baggage-allowance-some-silver-medallions.html)

Michelle_DeltaSkyMiles Dec 12, 2011 2:22 pm

Changes to Domestic Baggage Allowance for some Silver Medallions

Good afternoon,

We’re trying to do a better job notifying you in advance when changes are made that could impact your travel. That’s why I’m letting you know that we have an update to the baggage policy which impacts some Silver Medallions.

For Economy Class tickets purchased on or after December 15 for travel that will take place on or after March 1st 2012, Silver Medallions will now be allowed to check one bag (the current policy is two bags) weighing up to 70 lbs at no charge on Delta and Delta connection flights. The reason I said that it will affect “some” Silver Medallions is because Silver Medallion members with a Reserve, Platinum or Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express can still check a second bag for free.

This policy change will only impact those Silver Medallions traveling within or between the US, CA, USVI, or Puerto Rico. This change also affects SkyTeam Elite and Alaska MVP members when traveling on Delta within or between these areas.

Our website will be updated shortly and customers impacted by this change will start seeing this in the future.

While this change may impact some of you, it is still on par with other airlines in the industry. We wanted you to hear from us first.

Thanks,
Michelle, SkyMiles | Delta Social Ambassador
Connect with us at Twitter.com/Delta & Facebook.com/Delta

jsmith50 Dec 12, 2011 2:31 pm

While this change will not affect me as a DM, it may affect my son with gifted FO status. I'm disappointed to see that once again, DL is devaluing medallion status while, apparently, working diligently to ensure that those who hold an AmEx credit card continue to enjoy perks for an airline frequent flyer program that are not available to those who actually earn elite status with the airline. As such, I may think seriously about choosing a different choice benefit next year and suggesting to him that he begin earning status with another airline (he goes to school in Denver, so UA would be a logical choice for him). Just goes to show that DL's loyalty is more with their AmEx partner than with their own loyal customers! Good job DL, the SM program is headed down hill fast!

daregale Dec 12, 2011 2:33 pm

Ouch! Silvers take it on the chin yet again...

Global_Hi_Flyer Dec 12, 2011 2:33 pm

Clear and in-your-face devaluation of the program. And pretty much tells us that Silver is outright worthless. How long before it's eliminated?

As a Platinum, my concern what you're going to do to me, next?

rwoman Dec 12, 2011 2:34 pm

Michelle,

Thanks for posting this, but :td: to this change...not good for many Silvers and rewarding loyalty unless the member has an AMEX.

:(

TTT Dec 12, 2011 2:35 pm

I think we all expected this at some point.

Thanks for posting Michelle. Looks like the site is already updated
http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...cked/index.jsp

Effective for tickets purchased on or after December 15, 2011 for travel on or after March 1, 2012, Silver Medallion, SkyTeam Elite, and Alaska Airlines MVP members may check one bag up to 70 lbs (32kg) at no charge on Delta- and Delta Connection-operated flights. Basic Reserve, Platinum or Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express may check a second bag for free on Delta and Delta Connection flights. Second bag fee waiver benefit is limited to Silver Medallion members who are Basic Cardmembers (not Additional Cardmembers) with the Gold, Platinum or Reserve Delta SkyMiles Credit Cards. First and second baggage fee waivers apply to up to nine people traveling in the eligible Silver Medallion member’s reservation. This rule will apply to Economy Cclass tickets within or between the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and Canada. The benefit applies to up to nine people traveling in the eligible member's reservation.

akonradi Dec 12, 2011 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Michelle_DeltaSkyMiles (Post 17613176)
While this change may impact some of you, it is still on par with other airlines in the industry.

Really? United allows its base tier elite members two pieces, albeit at 50 pounds. The same goes for AA. While 70lb is certainly better than the alternative, this is not on par with the competition.

Thanks for posting, though. It's best to see it here first, and not on the OLCI page.

eturowski Dec 12, 2011 2:36 pm

I think it's pretty crappy for Delta to announce a major change like this only a few weeks after offering people the opportunity to purchase miles to make FO for 2012. Honestly, if I'd have bought some of those miles explicitly because I believed I would be receiving two free checked bags on every trip next year (one of the few benefits actually guaranteed to FOs), I'd be pretty POed.

:td::td::td:, Delta. Thanks a lot.

WScottsdaleInsider Dec 12, 2011 2:37 pm

Do they just look for ways to devalue Silvers even further?

jsmith50 Dec 12, 2011 2:37 pm

Funny thing about all of this is that my friend who works at DL has been telling me for a while that DL has been evaluating ways to make FO more valuable for those who achieve it through loyalty and to separate, protect and enhance those benefits from those pax who fill out a credit card application and achieve FO without ever flying a single segment. I guess he was wrong!

rwoman Dec 12, 2011 2:39 pm

While this change may impact some of you, it is still on par with other airlines in the industry. We wanted you to hear from us first.
Michelle,

Can you advise on this - AA and UA (whom I'd classify as domestic competition) - do not charge their Golds/Premier members for two bags.

Thanks,
robin

SDQBound Dec 12, 2011 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Michelle_DeltaSkyMiles (Post 17613176)
Good afternoon,

We’re trying to do a better job notifying you in advance when changes are made that could impact your travel. That’s why I’m letting you know that we have an update to the baggage policy which impacts some Silver Medallions.

For Economy Class tickets purchased on or after December 15 for travel that will take place on or after March 1st 2012, Silver Medallions will now be allowed to check one bag (the current policy is two bags) weighing up to 70 lbs at no charge on Delta and Delta connection flights. The reason I said that it will affect “some” Silver Medallions is because Silver Medallion members with a Reserve, Platinum or Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express can still check a second bag for free.

This policy change will only impact those Silver Medallions traveling within or between the US, CA, USVI, or Puerto Rico. This change also affects SkyTeam Elite and Alaska MVP members when traveling on Delta within or between these areas.

Our website will be updated shortly and customers impacted by this change will start seeing this in the future.

Thanks,
Michelle, SkyMiles | Delta Social Ambassador
Connect with us at Twitter.com/Delta & Facebook.com/Delta

And once again, Delta forgot about those of us who live outside of the US and can't have an US AMEX Card, but still fly regularly within the US/Canada.

While I don't usually complain about the devaluation of the Silver Medallion Status, and always have recognized that GMs, PMs, and DMs are entitled to more benefits because they spend more time in the air, I believe that this is an abuse.

Global_Hi_Flyer Dec 12, 2011 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by jsmith50 (Post 17613308)
Funny thing about all of this is that my friend who works at DL has been telling me for a while that DL has been evaluating ways to make FO more valuable for those who achieve it through loyalty and to separate, protect and enhance those benefits from those pax who fill out a credit card application and achieve FO without ever flying a single segment. I guess he was wrong!

In the words of Gordon Gecko....

cabingirl Dec 12, 2011 2:43 pm

Yes, a big :td: to this change as well. I could almost understand rolling out new benefits to only the higher-level elites such as free Domestic EC, but why do you have to reduce a long-established benefit? At this point the only thing Silver gets that an an Amex cardholder doesn't is preferred seating and some stupid piddly discounts on EC.

eturowski Dec 12, 2011 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by rwoman (Post 17613319)
Michelle,

Can you advise on this - AA and UA (whom I'd classify as domestic competition) - do not charge their Golds/Premier members for two bags.

Thanks,
robin

USAir allows Silver Preferred members two free checked bags as well.

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...ed/silver.html

Heck, even the Kettles who fly Southwest get two free checked bags. I am less than one month into my FO experience (all BIS MQMs, by the way), and I am already seriously disappointed.

mendel k Dec 12, 2011 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by cabingirl:17613353
Yes, a big :td: to this change as well. I could almost understand rolling out new benefits to only the higher-level elites such as free Domestic EC, but why do you have to reduce a long-established benefit? At this point the only thing Silver gets that an an Amex cardholder doesn't is preferred seating and some stupid piddly discounts on EC.

U forgot the 25% bonus miles :) but seriously, this does stink. When I was fo, this was the main benefit I cared for. Now, what good does silver really get you?

TTT Dec 12, 2011 2:53 pm

Michelle,

Thanks,
robin

Actually UA does not for the 2012 program year. It is 1 bag at 50lbs.

Premier Silver One bag, up to 50lbs. (23 kg.)
http://mileageplusmergerupdates.com/...rogramOverview

This was a relatively new change. UA seems to be the one to lead the pack on this one.

rwoman Dec 12, 2011 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by eturowski (Post 17613381)
USAir allows Silver Preferred members two free checked bags as well.

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...ed/silver.html

Thanks for adding that - I did not check the US site.

:)

exwannabe Dec 12, 2011 2:54 pm

Michelle,

Thanks,
robin

But we are talking Silver here, and UA does charge silvers for the second bag, and that is at 50 lbs.

TTT Dec 12, 2011 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe (Post 17613423)
But we are talking Silver here, and UA does charge silvers for the second bag, and that is at 50 lbs.

I don't think UA Premier's with a UA CC even get the second bag free (could be wrong about that though).

rwoman Dec 12, 2011 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by TTT (Post 17613418)
Actually UA does not for the 2012 program year. It is 1 bag at 50lbs.

http://mileageplusmergerupdates.com/...rogramOverview

This was a relatively new change. UA seems to be the one to lead the pack on this one.

Thanks - I was looking at united.com...what was I thinking?? ;)

BHMFlier Dec 12, 2011 2:56 pm

Been reading this board for a long time now but this makes me angry enough to contribute...

I am Delta loyal silver medallion. I don't travel much but have enjoyed the 2 bag perk since achieving my status. What value is left in this program for me? I hardly ever get an upgrade. I already get stuck boarding in zone 2 and half the time flying out of BHM the overhead space is already taken up from the zone 1 customers, especially on the small commuter jets. I guess with these changes all I will have left is the ability to pick an exit row seat, assuming I am able to book fare enough in advance that they are not taken also. I don't want an American Express card so why does that take away my benefits of flying with Delta as a silver medallion? Goes to show that silver medallion is not an elite status at all!

TTT Dec 12, 2011 2:57 pm

A clarification question for Michelle: is the second bag free with the Delta Amex an additional 70lb bag or an additional 50lb bag? The site doesn't specify (but would assume an additional 70lb bag).

valor155 Dec 12, 2011 3:01 pm

:td:
No surprise that UA and DL are lowering the standards for their elites. I just wish they weren't both so eager to copy each other for lowering the standard. Just business, right?

jsmith50 Dec 12, 2011 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by BHMFlier (Post 17613452)
What value is left in this program for me?

Apparently very little especially at the rate benefits are disappearing!

and...Welcome to FT!

TTT Dec 12, 2011 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by jsmith50 (Post 17613498)
Apparently very little especially at the rate benefits are disappearing!

and...Welcome to FT!

IMO, DL FO is still better than dirt on UA/AA/US. :D

But for upgrades at the lowest level in addition to the baggage maybe US would be a better program for some (until it changes) - especially for those who fly throughout the Southeast.

LGANightOwl Dec 12, 2011 3:05 pm

Isn't this Bait and Switch? Have all these promotions so that people can make FO (AmEx Plat MR transfer offer, buy MQM's, etc.), and then yank the benefits from them at the end of the year.

If Delta thinks that this will entice people to fly more to become GM, they are sorely wrong. People will look for another airline and just get the card instead.

Robert Leach Dec 12, 2011 3:07 pm

I really think some on here are being unreasonably harsh about this ruling. Maintaining a 70 pound limit for the free bag is commendable IMO. Eliminating it would have created more of these situations where passengers hold up the line whilst unloading some weight.

rwoman Dec 12, 2011 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Robert Leach (Post 17613535)
I really think some on here are being unreasonably harsh about this ruling. Maintaining a 70 pound limit for the free bag is commendable IMO. Eliminating it would have created more of these situations where passengers hold up the line whilst unloading some weight.

70 lbs is a good limit, but I know many who prefer to check two bags in order to split weight across them rather than one or two overloaded bags...

eturowski Dec 12, 2011 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by LGANightOwl (Post 17613522)
Isn't this Bait and Switch? Have all these promotions so that people can make FO (AmEx Plat MR transfer offer, buy MQM's, etc.), and then yank the benefits from them at the end of the year.

I pulled the original "Earn Silver Medallion Status Now - Buy MQMs" email from my trash box. It sneakily lists these benefits (bolding mine):

Upon earning 25,000 MQMs, you will receive Silver Medallion status through February 2013 and its many benefits, including:
Medallion mileage bonus
Waived baggage fees for you and your travel companions
Unlimited Complimentary Upgrades for you and a companion on paid tickets
Priority boarding and Complimentary Preferred Seats
Discounted Economy Comfort seats
Notice that there is no mention of quantity in the "waived baggage fees". In that case, :td::td::td: squared.

jsmith50 Dec 12, 2011 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Robert Leach (Post 17613535)

I guess for me (who is not affected by this decision) it is a harbinger of things to come. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth to continually watch the SM program be devalued! Next week, is it gonna be GMs now board in zone 2, or only DMs get access to lounges when traveling internationally, etc., etc., etc.? With DL, it seems to be a trickle up mentality when stripping away medallion benefits!

WidgetHead Dec 12, 2011 3:16 pm

As an ATL-based FO who just did a mileage run to keep my status because I expected 2 free checked bags as a benefit for next year that I will really need, I give this change a HUGE :td:. What an egregious abuse of my hard-earned loyalty for 4 years with this airline. I should have known better than to think that airline management wouldn't screw with FF's who show loyalty by flying the actual MQM's. You are all scum. Just wait til WN comes to town and see how your loyalties hold up.

DL apologists, don't even f&$*ing bother.

rwoman Dec 12, 2011 3:19 pm

My sister drops to FO this year...she's really sneered at the thought of AA/BA, but this might motivate a switch...she often checks two bags on both domestic and international flights and I doubt AMEX would give her a card... :rolleyes:

howtofreetravel Dec 12, 2011 3:19 pm

So silver members are now worth less then amex members? wow

fti Dec 12, 2011 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by WScottsdaleInsider (Post 17613306)
Do they just look for ways to devalue Silvers even further?

Actually not just Silvers. I think jsmith50 is onto their game:

Originally Posted by jsmith50 (Post 17613577)
I guess for me (who is not affected by this decision) it is a harbinger of things to come. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth to continually watch the SM program be devalued! Next week, is it gonna be GMs now board in zone 2, or only DMs get access to lounges when traveling internationally, etc., etc., etc.? With DL, it seems to be a trickle up mentality when stripping away medallion benefits!

Originally Posted by flymanbeast (Post 17613629)

Moral of the story => AmEX makes way more money for DL than FO's.

TTT Dec 12, 2011 3:27 pm

Well not really - FO + Amex gets 2 bags. Amex just gets 1.

howtofreetravel Dec 12, 2011 3:35 pm

My mistake worth the same as amex(or less)

klashn Dec 12, 2011 3:36 pm

Happy Holidays from Delta. Goes really nice with the e-card that was sent out a few days ago, maybe they should reword the e-card*.

*For Silver Medallions:
Aur Revoir
Good Bye
Hasta la vista.. baby
Ciao

NYCTraveller Dec 12, 2011 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by TTT (Post 17613686)

I'm GM + Amex. Should I get 3 bags then?

Fly_Delta_Jets Dec 12, 2011 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by TTT (Post 17613686)

And one can't forget unlimited upgrades (including companion upgrades), free preferred seating, the Silver line, Skyteam Elite Status (not much, but hey--it's a benefit), priority check-in, and the class of service bonuses.

I honestly don't see this as a huge devaluation--DL isn't the first carrier making the move, and in the constant airline industry race to the bottom, it was bound to happen eventually. I imagine a lot of FOs have a DL Amex as well, so no real change for them. Yes, FOs without an Amex got the shaft, but it's not a giant devaluation and I don't think it's a sign of major devaluations to come.

Comments about jumping ship to WN make me laugh--they're often more expensive than DL, and (IMO) provide mediocre service at best. On DL I can have a confirmed seat assignment without a cattle call at boarding, a chance to upgrade to F, a professional flight crew who don't think they're working at the Chuckle Hut (30 Rock reference :D), IFE and wifi, and more. But to each his (or her) own.

Lastly, a big ^ to DL on being more open with their program changes and not trying to sneak this one by. Keep it up! :)