Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Changes to Domestic Baggage Allowance for some Silver Medallions

Old Dec 12, 2011, 2:22 pm
no longer with Delta
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles

Good afternoon,

We’re trying to do a better job notifying you in advance when changes are made that could impact your travel. That’s why I’m letting you know that we have an update to the baggage policy which impacts some Silver Medallions.

For Economy Class tickets purchased on or after December 15 for travel that will take place on or after March 1st 2012, Silver Medallions will now be allowed to check one bag (the current policy is two bags) weighing up to 70 lbs at no charge on Delta and Delta connection flights. The reason I said that it will affect “some” Silver Medallions is because Silver Medallion members with a Reserve, Platinum or Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express can still check a second bag for free.

This policy change will only impact those Silver Medallions traveling within or between the US, CA, USVI, or Puerto Rico. This change also affects SkyTeam Elite and Alaska MVP members when traveling on Delta within or between these areas.

Our website will be updated shortly and customers impacted by this change will start seeing this in the future.

While this change may impact some of you, it is still on par with other airlines in the industry. We wanted you to hear from us first.

Thanks,
Michelle, SkyMiles | Delta Social Ambassador
Connect with us at Twitter.com/Delta & Facebook.com/Delta
Old Dec 12, 2011, 2:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
While this change will not affect me as a DM, it may affect my son with gifted FO status. I'm disappointed to see that once again, DL is devaluing medallion status while, apparently, working diligently to ensure that those who hold an AmEx credit card continue to enjoy perks for an airline frequent flyer program that are not available to those who actually earn elite status with the airline. As such, I may think seriously about choosing a different choice benefit next year and suggesting to him that he begin earning status with another airline (he goes to school in Denver, so UA would be a logical choice for him). Just goes to show that DL's loyalty is more with their AmEx partner than with their own loyal customers! Good job DL, the SM program is headed down hill fast!
Old Dec 12, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
Ouch! Silvers take it on the chin yet again...
Old Dec 12, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Clear and in-your-face devaluation of the program. And pretty much tells us that Silver is outright worthless. How long before it's eliminated?

As a Platinum, my concern what you're going to do to me, next?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Michelle,

Thanks for posting this, but to this change...not good for many Silvers and rewarding loyalty unless the member has an AMEX.

Old Dec 12, 2011, 2:35 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
I think we all expected this at some point.

Thanks for posting Michelle. Looks like the site is already updated
http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...cked/index.jsp

Effective for tickets purchased on or after December 15, 2011 for travel on or after March 1, 2012, Silver Medallion, SkyTeam Elite, and Alaska Airlines MVP members may check one bag up to 70 lbs (32kg) at no charge on Delta- and Delta Connection-operated flights. Basic Reserve, Platinum or Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express may check a second bag for free on Delta and Delta Connection flights. Second bag fee waiver benefit is limited to Silver Medallion members who are Basic Cardmembers (not Additional Cardmembers) with the Gold, Platinum or Reserve Delta SkyMiles Credit Cards. First and second baggage fee waivers apply to up to nine people traveling in the eligible Silver Medallion member’s reservation. This rule will apply to Economy Cclass tickets within or between the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and Canada. The benefit applies to up to nine people traveling in the eligible member's reservation.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Michelle_DeltaSkyMiles
While this change may impact some of you, it is still on par with other airlines in the industry.
Really? United allows its base tier elite members two pieces, albeit at 50 pounds. The same goes for AA. While 70lb is certainly better than the alternative, this is not on par with the competition.

Thanks for posting, though. It's best to see it here first, and not on the OLCI page.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
I think it's pretty crappy for Delta to announce a major change like this only a few weeks after offering people the opportunity to purchase miles to make FO for 2012. Honestly, if I'd have bought some of those miles explicitly because I believed I would be receiving two free checked bags on every trip next year (one of the few benefits actually guaranteed to FOs), I'd be pretty POed.

, Delta. Thanks a lot.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 2:37 pm

Do they just look for ways to devalue Silvers even further?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 2:37 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Funny thing about all of this is that my friend who works at DL has been telling me for a while that DL has been evaluating ways to make FO more valuable for those who achieve it through loyalty and to separate, protect and enhance those benefits from those pax who fill out a credit card application and achieve FO without ever flying a single segment. I guess he was wrong!
Old Dec 12, 2011, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
While this change may impact some of you, it is still on par with other airlines in the industry. We wanted you to hear from us first.
Michelle,

Can you advise on this - AA and UA (whom I'd classify as domestic competition) - do not charge their Golds/Premier members for two bags.

Thanks,
robin
Old Dec 12, 2011, 2:40 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Michelle_DeltaSkyMiles
Good afternoon,

We’re trying to do a better job notifying you in advance when changes are made that could impact your travel. That’s why I’m letting you know that we have an update to the baggage policy which impacts some Silver Medallions.

For Economy Class tickets purchased on or after December 15 for travel that will take place on or after March 1st 2012, Silver Medallions will now be allowed to check one bag (the current policy is two bags) weighing up to 70 lbs at no charge on Delta and Delta connection flights. The reason I said that it will affect “some” Silver Medallions is because Silver Medallion members with a Reserve, Platinum or Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express can still check a second bag for free.

This policy change will only impact those Silver Medallions traveling within or between the US, CA, USVI, or Puerto Rico. This change also affects SkyTeam Elite and Alaska MVP members when traveling on Delta within or between these areas.

Our website will be updated shortly and customers impacted by this change will start seeing this in the future.

Thanks,
Michelle, SkyMiles | Delta Social Ambassador
Connect with us at Twitter.com/Delta & Facebook.com/Delta
And once again, Delta forgot about those of us who live outside of the US and can't have an US AMEX Card, but still fly regularly within the US/Canada.

While I don't usually complain about the devaluation of the Silver Medallion Status, and always have recognized that GMs, PMs, and DMs are entitled to more benefits because they spend more time in the air, I believe that this is an abuse.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by jsmith50
Funny thing about all of this is that my friend who works at DL has been telling me for a while that DL has been evaluating ways to make FO more valuable for those who achieve it through loyalty and to separate, protect and enhance those benefits from those pax who fill out a credit card application and achieve FO without ever flying a single segment. I guess he was wrong!
In the words of Gordon Gecko....
Old Dec 12, 2011, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Marriott Gold, National Executive
Yes, a big to this change as well. I could almost understand rolling out new benefits to only the higher-level elites such as free Domestic EC, but why do you have to reduce a long-established benefit? At this point the only thing Silver gets that an an Amex cardholder doesn't is preferred seating and some stupid piddly discounts on EC.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rwoman
Michelle,

Can you advise on this - AA and UA (whom I'd classify as domestic competition) - do not charge their Golds/Premier members for two bags.

Thanks,
robin
USAir allows Silver Preferred members two free checked bags as well.

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...ed/silver.html

Heck, even the Kettles who fly Southwest get two free checked bags. I am less than one month into my FO experience (all BIS MQMs, by the way), and I am already seriously disappointed.

Last edited by eturowski; Dec 12, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.