FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Changes to Domestic Baggage Allowance for some Silver Medallions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1290422-changes-domestic-baggage-allowance-some-silver-medallions.html)

DL2SXM Dec 13, 2011 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by ExitRowSeating (Post 17619202)
Dear Delta,

F..k you.

Love,

A Silver for 8 years running

touching..

and, everytime you fly, you travel with over 140 lbs worth of stuff?

I'm sure this comment is going to earn me the equivalent of the online middle finger, but, not for nothing, with all the ways to earn status, silver should be either eliminated, or upped to 35K.

AUDirt Dec 13, 2011 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by nypdLieu (Post 17619569)

I'm sure this comment is going to earn me the equivalent of the online middle finger, but, not for nothing, with all the ways to earn status, silver should be either eliminated, or upped to 35K.

Why?

mbarreto Dec 13, 2011 1:46 pm

Sheesh, all this arguments just because of a bag fee change? I think I can check 3 70lbs bag, but I can't even remember when was the last time I checked more than one (which is already rare enough). Even then, I can't recall ever being more than 50lbs.

Seems to me this is a pretty good policy. One 70lb bag is pretty good. People need to relax a little, this isn't the end of the world! :)

LGANightOwl Dec 13, 2011 1:47 pm

That's quite one-dimensional and shows that you're a Delta to-the-death loyalist. Nothing wrong with that. But you seem to be laying blame to the FO's. How about Delta not having a gazillion ways to obtain status? To give away status with AmEx Plat promotions and "fly 2 get Gold" promos, it just cheapens the idea of an "elite."

Skymiles are coined as "SkyPesos" because they hand them out like candy. If they keep handing out elite status, they may as well change the word Medallion to "Peon."

schadenfreude Dec 13, 2011 1:49 pm

touching..

and, everytime you fly, you travel with over 140 lbs worth of stuff?

at least you know you're a schmuck.

AUDirt Dec 13, 2011 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by mbarreto (Post 17619945)
Sheesh, all this arguments just because of a bag fee change? I think I can check 3 70lbs bag, but I can't even remember when was the last time I checked more than one (which is already rare enough). Even then, I can't recall ever being more than 50lbs.

Seems to me this is a pretty good policy. One 70lb bag is pretty good. People need to relax a little, this isn't the end of the world! :)

As I said earlier, I could care less about the baggage allowance when I'm traveling by myself or for business.

But, when I take my family on vacation, we need -2- bags. There's no way around it.

I'd almost rather they reduce the weight of each bag than the number allowed. But then again, this policy has nothing to do with sparing the baggage handlers some pain from hefting heavy luggage.

I'm going to re-propose my idea: give each Medallion an annual baggage allowance. Let me decide when I want to pay for my bag (i.e. traveling on business w/ expense account) or when I want it to be free.

eturowski Dec 13, 2011 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by LGANightOwl (Post 17619957)
Skymiles are coined as "SkyPesos" because they hand them out like candy. If they keep handing out elite status, they may as well change the word Medallion to "Peon."

That could work!

Silver = PO (especially appropriate in light of recent events - "P_ssed Off")
Gold = GP
Platinum = PP
Diamond = DP

TWA Fan 1 Dec 13, 2011 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by AUDirt (Post 17620008)
I'm going to re-propose my idea: give each Medallion an annual baggage allowance. Let me decide when I want to pay for my bag (i.e. traveling on business w/ expense account) or when I want it to be free.

If you have an Amex Plat, in essence you could something like this with the $200/year annual credit.

One more perk of being elite (which will definitely not be taken away) is the ability to board in zone 2. Since I never check bags, I always bring my rollaboard with me. As a DL kettle I usually boarded in zone 4, and there were times when I was forced to check my bag.

That will not happen in zone 2.

LGANightOwl Dec 13, 2011 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1 (Post 17620089)
One more perk of being elite (which will definitely not be taken away) is the ability to board in zone 2.

Never say never. Delta AmEx card holders have that same benefit also. You earned it, but they bought it.

TWA Fan 1 Dec 13, 2011 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by LGANightOwl (Post 17620122)
Never say never. Delta AmEx card holders have that same benefit also. You earned it, but they bought it.

Well, I guess we both "bought it," since I'm buying air travel on DL and they're paying the annual fee for the card.

But I'm pretty sure the vast majority of zone 3 & 4 kettles won't be popping for an Amex DL CC any time soon.

At least I hope not! :eek::D

T.J. Bender Dec 13, 2011 2:21 pm

I sent an email in complaining about how FO is now useless, as Amex cardholders get all the important benefits of it anyway. I received a reply apologizing for my dissatisfaction with the boarding process. Are you for real?

If I don't hit gold again in 2012, I can assure you I'll be flying on United or US Airways come 2013. Silver Medallion is officially worthless. Why would I spend $2,000+ to reach Silver when I can spend $95 a year on an Amex card that, frankly, gets me more benefits?

T.J. Bender Dec 13, 2011 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1 (Post 17620089)
That will not happen in zone 2.

It can, and it absolutely does.

TWA Fan 1 Dec 13, 2011 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by T.J. Bender (Post 17620234)
It can, and it absolutely does.

I believe you, but I'm surprised. On all my DL flights this year (I only started flying DL substantially this year), the overhead bind only filled up twice, and only at the end of the zone 4 boarding.

TWA Fan 1 Dec 13, 2011 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by T.J. Bender (Post 17620227)
Why would I spend $2,000+ to reach Silver when I can spend $95 a year on an Amex card that, frankly, gets me more benefits?

Well, the Amex DL cardholders don't get upgrades, nor a number of the other benefits of Medallion silver.

TTT Dec 13, 2011 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by T.J. Bender (Post 17620227)
I sent an email in complaining about how FO is now useless, as Amex cardholders get all the important benefits of it anyway. I received a reply apologizing for my dissatisfaction with the boarding process. Are you for real?

If I don't hit gold again in 2012, I can assure you I'll be flying on United or US Airways come 2013. Silver Medallion is officially worthless. Why would I spend $2,000+ to reach Silver when I can spend $95 a year on an Amex card that, frankly, gets me more benefits?

Careful with UA - their lowest level is almost worse than Delta's. At UA you can buy all of the "benefits" à la carte.