FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Changes to Domestic Baggage Allowance for some Silver Medallions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1290422-changes-domestic-baggage-allowance-some-silver-medallions.html)

meballard Dec 12, 2011 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by MR_MAMA (Post 17615525)
How many people really check two bags for every flight?

Every flight no, really appreciate the flexibility, absolutely. Some trips I do, some I don't, depending on what I purchase, and what else is going on.

If this is about getting more revenue, I'm guessing it not going to work that well, most of the time I traveled with a second checked bag I didn't strictly need it, I could've gone heavier/bigger in my carry-ons, loaded to 70lbs on my main bag, or just traveled with less, but I have really appreciated the flexibility provided (having put in around 40k BIS miles on Delta this year). I have purposefully put the majority of what I travel with in checked bags and kept my carry-ons relatively light. Without the free second bag, I will have to re-consider that when traveling on Delta after the change is in effect.

This will likely push more of my business to American this year (with the agreement between American and Alaska).

jdrtravel Dec 12, 2011 10:52 pm

This is a game changer

I am a GM right now but will probably drop to FO after next year. I have purchased higher fares to remain loyal to Delta---and to gain the benefits of the loyalty programs. For those of us who fly at the lower levels of elite status....perhaps its time to just start booking the cheapest flight that we find on expedia, and not pay attention to the airline. Also, we should all remember that we are talking about a "perk" that until just a few years ago was free to all travelers.

NWA/Deltaflygirl Dec 12, 2011 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by jsmith50 (Post 17615102)
Me (text to my friend at DL): "Just heard on Flyer Talk that SM is sticking it to FOs again by reducing baggage allowance to 1 free"
DL friend: "I just learned of this yesterday."

This exchange earlier tonight by text messages with my friend at DL concerns me about what else we may learn about the SM program in the days, weeks, months to come.

Interesting as we in RES heard it just about the SAME TIME it was posted here on FT...

GUWonder Dec 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Sleazy move to institute the change without any substantive grace period, as most Silvers have already earned their elite status for next year, including on the expectation of benefits DL has been marketing to its customers all year. Then again this is typical DL: treat the customers as if they are the enemy or sheep to be fleeced; substitute frequent flying customers for frequent (non-airline) shopping customers.

ilanbwoy Dec 13, 2011 12:02 am

The checked bag thing is not a big deal for me cause i don't travel heavy anyways. The luggage situation is definitely going to get worse on board and it is bad as is now. I like to book emergency exit row seats and board in zone 1 (something i learned from f/t) and sit and watch the on board baggage olympics cuz its a race to find space. As a former gate agent, i don't know how some of these bags get on board. That's a whole other story.

I currently have the dl amex platinum and was going to get rid of it next year as the checked baggage allowance does not really affect me as i am a light traveller and as an FO i was allowed the 2 bags anyways so when i travel with the MRS we would be ok. So i did the vaunted mileage run across country the other day to close the gap on retaining f/o status and was about to spend the $$$ to purchase the remaining 2500 mqms i need to requalify. But naah, i decided to earn the last 2500 miles the way i have done the last 22500 and fly it. Something about making 2 purchases with the amex n u get platinum status of gold status that just is not the same in my eyes.

I think the writing is on the wall though. I think as someone said earlier, they should just get rid of FO and i would not be surprised if that is where this is heading. Slowly devalue the FO status until it is more meaningless. Gold will become the new silver, plat the new gold etc. There is another thread where they are advertising for a skymiles person for a new tier or something of the sort. The porsche pick up is another thread. I as a lowly FO am not important and as i will still make f/o for next year will enjoy it, but will not be blinded by DL anymore. Its gonna be about price and convenience for me from now on.

Gonna keep the Amex though cuz its almost better than having f/o status.

GUWonder Dec 13, 2011 12:10 am

.... and yet another way that Million Mile status with DL has been devalued.

DL won't stop at just toying around with Silver Medallions by stripping benefits and then trying to bait customers into a DL Amex acquisition in exchange for a "customer giveback".

..... it's just a matter of time until DL goes after other DL elite status customers too.

bennos Dec 13, 2011 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Michelle_DeltaSkyMiles (Post 17613176)
While this change may impact some of you, it is still on par with other airlines in the industry.

And here I would think Delta would want to be better than the other airlines in the industry. Instead, you're only comparing DL to UACO, which basically gutted its 25k level and turned it into a credit card loyalty level. Guess DL is going in the same unfortunate direction.

If I were a 25k flyer (and perhaps one day I will be again), I'd probably just give up on airline loyalty and become a Kayaker... it's clear that's what the airlines want.

:td: to this move.

GUWonder Dec 13, 2011 12:36 am

Originally Posted by MR_MAMA (Post 17615649)
I personally think they are starting to close all the loop holes after reading what so many people are doing to earn status. All these posts just give them a map on what to do.

There are no program loopholes that DL is closing with this move. This is yet another typical DL act of wanting to loop in more revenue from more customers by way of cutting benefits for the majority of DL elites and peddling Amex cards for the revenue that DL Amex sales/use provides DL too.

browell Dec 13, 2011 12:50 am

Yep, today it's just a stick in the eye of the FO's...... but let's not forget, years ago, PM (then the top tier) used to get 3 checked bags at 70lbs. I forget exactly when, but I think it was Feb 1 of 2008 they suddenly changed that to 2 bags, with ZERO notice to the PM's (you know, supposedly your valued travelers?)

Hang on folks, they're chumming the water for something ....... :confused:

(yeah, I check 3 every trip. I travel 10 days at a stretch and have to bring my tools. I have to book within 1-2 days prior to travel and I LOVE paying for that 3rd bag....not....)

mnredfox Dec 13, 2011 12:53 am

First off, Michelle thanks for posting. While I don't agree 3 days is really that big of an advance notice, it certainly is an improvement from the past of what DL has done. So thank you. ^

Originally Posted by flymanbeast (Post 17613629)
So silver members are now worth less then amex members? wow

Well, pretty soon elite and flying will be way less than anything Amex spend. Amex already is in the spend for MQM game. DL already is too closely married to Amex (Reserve gives UG priority, Gold gives you free bag, Gold gives you access to clubs for $25/pop, bonus miles when purchasing miles, discounts onboard if using Amex etc). Heck, DL and HH are pretty much both married to Amex, and with Hilton you can already buy top tier with $40K spend.

It sickens me too, but this is the way industry is going.

Originally Posted by DLroads (Post 17614097)
(a) a 3 day notice for bookings is not an advance notice.

+1 agree, but way better than the change to intra-Asia award travel where there (1) was no advance notice and (2) no proactive communication afterwards, just a sneaky change to online charts.

Originally Posted by starflyer (Post 17614654)
Is this the same Jeff who claimed Delta was implementing a "best in class" frequent flyer program? How is this anywhere close to best in class?

Richard claimed "best of both" in the merger, so much for that!

My real question here is what is DL's motivation? Is it a way truly to earn money? How much revenue do they anticipate getting from canning the 2nd SM bag domestically? And to what cost did they calculate?

I have a hard time believing this was a pure play revenue move, more likely the first move of many negatives towards a 2012 program change if you ask me. Since UA did reduce benefits for lower tiers, to me this DL's response to that. But I think their "on par" comment is mostly baloney, if they cared so much with being on par they'd fix the award calendar and low issues (esp international) long ago, so please spare me the "on par" stuff.

Going back to revenue, if it is purely revenue then I blame DL in the first place. If you didn't inflate the ranks with so many promos and MQM giveaways you'd have less SM's getting free bags. Please stop inflating ranks and then fleecing benefits because there are too many give aways.

SDQBound Dec 13, 2011 2:23 am

While I'm more likely to be a GM next year, I find really insulting the fact that they waited until next year's silvers earned the status during the whole year and then made the change. To be fair, they should have still announce it now and make the change beginning on the 2013 Program year, so those who fly 25,000-49,999 miles during 2012 keep in mind that there will be a change in benefits.

I actually saw this and even more coming, after seeing what happened with both SkyPriority and Economy Comfort, and focused on flying TATL on AA (at least I can get a cheaper fare, burn some miles, and get upgraded).

GUWonder Dec 13, 2011 3:06 am

The thread title is misleading, particularly by way of the use of the word "some" in the title.

Even Reduction to Domestic Baggage Allowance for Silver Medallions would be more of a straight shot.

The attempt to justify the use of "some" in the thread title is just lame.

mdb Dec 13, 2011 3:57 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 17616631)
The thread title is misleading, particularly by way of the use of the word "some" in the title.

Even Reduction to Domestic Baggage Allowance for Silver Medallions would be more of a straight shot.

The attempt to justify the use of "some" in the thread title is just lame.

Well, not if your main purpose in business is peddling Amex cards, instead of flying.

acjflyer Dec 13, 2011 4:19 am

Once again a typical Delta Air Lines communication disaster :td:

I tweeted and complained via delta.com - not sure if it will change, but I do think we need to make our voices heard.

florin Dec 13, 2011 4:40 am

Originally Posted by MR_MAMA (Post 17615525)
How many people really check two bags for every flight?

I do. Most of my travel is for longer periods (2-12 weeks, the average trip being between 4-6 weeks). I'm sure not many people are in the same boat, but for the few of us it stinks. If there are indeed few people checking 2 bags, then why take this benefit away?

I appreciate the fact that Michelle has posted this on FT. I don't think it's reasonable to complain about her not responding in this thread because this is an announcement, not a Q&A session. She posted it here and they updated the web site.

Having said that, this is a stupid move by DeltAmex. :td: I'm really glad I just spent all of my SkyPesos. :)