FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Changes to Domestic Baggage Allowance for some Silver Medallions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1290422-changes-domestic-baggage-allowance-some-silver-medallions.html)

Jayz_004 Dec 12, 2011 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by n301dp (Post 17614834)
Sweet. Looking forward to stepping on my last DL flights this week on a mileage run to make Gold. Come Friday, it'll be status match to UA time!

Petty, cheap, and underhanded.

I'm with ya!! Emailing UA status match at the end of the month~~

mAAine_flyer Dec 12, 2011 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by n301dp (Post 17614990)
No, if that were the case, this would have been posted on Friday and would have included something akin to "Let the conversation begin!"

Unfortunately, this coming Friday at 4:30 Eastern is already reserved for an announcement of another program enhancement.

GrizShel Dec 12, 2011 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Michelle_DeltaSkyMiles (Post 17613176)
Good afternoon,

We’re trying to do a better job notifying you in advance when changes are made that could impact your travel. That’s why I’m letting you know that we have an update to the baggage policy which impacts some Silver Medallions.

For Economy Class tickets purchased on or after December 15 for travel that will take place on or after March 1st 2012, Silver Medallions will now be allowed to check one bag ...

Much thanks for the advanced warning! (although it would have been even better to announce this early in 2011). It's nice to see Delta has picked up on the fact that the lack of advanced warning for past program devaluations (and even making some of those effective retroactively!) was of even greater concern to us than the devaluations themselves (probably because the uncertainty of what other changes might occur makes it impossible to plan upcoming air travel efficiently.)

nukchebi0 Dec 12, 2011 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by GrizShel (Post 17615020)
Much thanks for the advanced warning! (although it would have been even better to announce this early in 2011). It's nice to see Delta has picked up on the fact that the lack of advanced warning for past program devaluations (and even making some of those effective retroactively!) was of even greater concern to us than the devaluations themselves (probably because the uncertainty of what other changes might occur makes it impossible to plan upcoming air travel efficiently.)

No, its the devaluation that angers me most.

Edit: Your sig seems appropriate here.

jsmith50 Dec 12, 2011 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by goodandclassy (Post 17614874)
on the flipside, the value of a plat amex will be offset after 6 flights with an extra bag. And you'd get a free companion ticket in Y to boot.

by no means a positive change, but there is a silver lining, i guess

This overlooks the possibility that some DL customers either a) may not want an AmEx or any other credith card or b) some people can't meet the requirements to be approved for a AmEx card. Thus, people are left with the option of asking for something that they either don't want or may not be able to have in order to enhance the benefits of a program that should be stand alone and should not have to rely on equal loyalty to two separate programs.

Mad_Max_Esq Dec 12, 2011 7:42 pm

Well there goes any vacation (skiing or scuba) travel for FOs on Delta. Only one free bag to U.S. and Canada in the winter and the caribbean year round really makes it easy to look for another program.

nukchebi0 Dec 12, 2011 7:45 pm

I am serious about writing to someone important in Atlanta. How do I do this?

jsmith50 Dec 12, 2011 7:51 pm

Me (text to my friend at DL): "Just heard on Flyer Talk that SM is sticking it to FOs again by reducing baggage allowance to 1 free"
DL friend: "I just learned of this yesterday."
Me: "Any chance this is a sign of things to come?"
DL friend: "We should talk. Lunch on Sunday?"
Me: "Any chance in a reversal of decision?"
DL friend: "Not likely."
Me: "Would it help to encourage FTers to complain?"
DL friend: "Couldn't hurt but the environment now is not favorable for customer complaints"
Me: "hmmm."
DL friend: "See you Sunday."

This exchange earlier tonight by text messages with my friend at DL concerns me about what else we may learn about the SM program in the days, weeks, months to come.

exwannabe Dec 12, 2011 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by n301dp (Post 17614834)
Sweet. Looking forward to stepping on my last DL flights this week on a mileage run to make Gold. Come Friday, it'll be status match to UA time!

Petty, cheap, and underhanded.

So on UA you will be able to check 1 free bag at 50 lbs. Wow, that is so much better.:confused:

And if it is the principle of the matter, they did the exact same thing in changing there program a while back.

Either go to WN, or live with the majors who will do this.

I am a prisoner in ATL, but I prefer to fly DL regardless. Better the enemy you know than the one you don't :p

GYEWorldTraveler Dec 12, 2011 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by nukchebi0 (Post 17615072)
I am serious about writing to someone important in Atlanta. How do I do this?

DYKWIA FO....nice

Just send the email to Richard Anderson. I think his email address is pretty easy to figure out and has been posted here on FT numerous times

goodandclassy Dec 12, 2011 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by jsmith50 (Post 17615102)
This exchange earlier tonight by text messages with my friend at DL concerns me about what else we may learn about the SM program in the days, weeks, months to come.

Please keep us posted... better to know what (may) be ahead - and being wrong - than getting hit with it after it is in full force (t-72)

don't get the friend in trouble though!

p.s. on the amex thing - you are absolutely right - it is a devaluation, and a frustrating one if there is no way to get the extra charge avoided (even if you wanted to pay for the AX membership)...

nukchebi0 Dec 12, 2011 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler (Post 17615105)
DYKWIA FO....nice

Just send the email to Richard Anderson. I think his email address is pretty easy to figure out and has been posted here on FT numerous times

Grow up.

I want to write to someone in Atlanta because I read here that Delta is supposedly more receptive to complaints sent directly to executives. If you can't provide any helpful advice, just don't post.

drewguy Dec 12, 2011 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by rwoman (Post 17613553)
70 lbs is a good limit, but I know many who prefer to check two bags in order to split weight across them rather than one or two overloaded bags...

I'll bet the baggage handlers would prefer 2@35 to 1@70.

I'm somewhat surprised that the airlines haven't offered up a simple weight limit for combined bags.

TTT Dec 12, 2011 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy (Post 17615139)
I'll bet the baggage handlers would prefer 2@35 to 1@70.

I'm somewhat surprised that the airlines haven't offered up a simple weight limit for combined bags.

Don't many international airlines do that? IIRC, my QF flight earlier this year was 23kg but as many bags as you wanted.

jsmith50 Dec 12, 2011 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by goodandclassy (Post 17615127)
don't get the friend in trouble though!

No, no...he knows that I am sharing some things from him on FT. He is specifically telling me if there are things that I can't share, otherwise, he's assured me he's in no danger of getting in trouble! ;)