Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta FA's to remain union free

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2011, 5:57 pm

Programs: Delta, American, United, Lufthansa, BA, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt, Holiday Inn, Hertz, AVIS, Sixt
Originally Posted by motytrah
They aren't salary, they are hourly. I understand why the FA did it and the friction had more to do with crew mixing, I'm just saying, I wouldn't and I think it sets a bad precedent for the workforce as a whole.

Yeah, DL isn't particularly forgiving to the front line folks, just ask GAs that close the door a minute late, TAs that don't force customers to use the kiosk or a FA that reports to the station late. What you need to keep in mind is the FAs work 30-60 minutes before a flight unpaid. Their clock doesn't start until door close and/or brake release. When they land they are off the clock before a single passenger has left the plane. The days when the wages and benefits took that time into account are long gone. All this made sense in the 70's and 80's. But we have the technology to actually track this kind of thing now. I just think the bean counters and executives would blow their stack if they actually had to pay FAs for actual time spent doing the work of the company.
Does that mean they are on the clock when taking crew rest on international flights? That sounds like making money sleeping .....
Anyway, the clocking on/off deal with flights is created by people who go beyond bean counting. I am thinking what the smallest bean is and I am looking for something smaller than a pea.
How about adding the boarding process to the time target and see if we can have the FA's push the customers into the seat and push them out? It may actually help making connections.
See the total amount paid and see if it is fair. The minute details about closing doors and actual take off is a matter of rounding that does not impact the customer service levels. Delta needs happy employees to get happy customers. Standard rules have to be set, but 'above and beyond' pay should be considering to increase service levels in terms to quality and service. I personally like the 'Job Well Done' certificates and wish I had more.
I typically put in a not on the Delta website for exceeding service during flights (as well as not up to par service).
Old Nov 22, 2011, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, National Emerald Exec
Originally Posted by adamj023
My business goes to non unionzed organizations as much as possible.

WTG DELTA ^

When I was younger I took a college course and the professors were unionized. We the students knew more than the professors and the class was unionized and they went on strike.

Ever since that time I have been totally anti union for the rest of my life.

I try to as much as possible use non union labor and businesses. If there are 2 business models and one has union and one is non union I will always go with the non union. With this move Delta regains my trust and they are fully showing the corporate culture is more alligned to the Delta culture than Northwest which is and has been far superior.

^^^^^^
It is wise to use non union companies because you will usually receive better service from better employees and you do not have to worry about unions driving the company into bankruptcy.

I live in Michigan. This whole state is a magnificent example of the utter destruction unions cause. An entire industry was destroyed. I encourage everyone to check their state's pension funds and see how unions have ensured that your state owes more to union retirees than it will ever be able to pay.

To be fair, unions only exist where weak management allows them to. I would fire every employee or shut my doors before I would ever "negotiate" with some wannabe mob thugs.

Good work Delta!!!!!
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by GadsdenGalt
It is wise to use non union companies because you will usually receive better service from better employees and you do not have to worry about unions driving the company into bankruptcy.

I live in Michigan. This whole state is a magnificent example of the utter destruction unions cause. An entire industry was destroyed. I encourage everyone to check their state's pension funds and see how unions have ensured that your state owes more to union retirees than it will ever be able to pay.

To be fair, unions only exist where weak management allows them to. I would fire every employee or shut my doors before I would ever "negotiate" with some wannabe mob thugs.

Good work Delta!!!!!
^ Agree with your post 100%!!!! I am not that far from you (Toledo) and the unions have ruined this city as well and the city municipal employees union almost forced the city into receivership.

My dad was a manager for years for a union grocery store that closed down duemainly to the UFCW refusing to negotiate which made it impossible for them to be competitive with Walmart. And look at what they did to the auto industry. You will notice all the non union auto companies are opening up plants in the US brining in a lot of jobs, but they are locating the plants in non-union business friendly states down south, not places like Detroit.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:44 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Hertz #1 Gold
At various times in my very younger days I belonged to the Hotel, Motel, Restaurant Workers & Bartenders Union, United Pulpworkers & Papermakers, and AFTRA. I can't think of anything those unions did for me other than take my money. AFTRA (was a radio DJ back when AM radio was king!) had work rules which actually complicated life for both the jock and station. I too now take my business to non-union shops whenever possible.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 5:02 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Delta Air Lines just received word a couple of hours ago that the National Mediation Board ruled to uphold the Customer Service elections results of Above Wing and Reservations agents.

There will not be a union at Delta Air Lines as the interference charges were not proven by the International Association of Machinists.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 6:05 pm

Programs: 𓂀
Except for Pilots and Flight Dispatchers.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 9:37 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Delta Air Lines just received word a couple of hours ago that the National Mediation Board ruled to uphold the Customer Service elections results of Above Wing and Reservations agents.

There will not be a union at Delta Air Lines as the interference charges were not proven by the International Association of Machinists.
There were multiple votes related to IAM, and today's was the final of all the results of various work groups that have been upheld (another came through a few days ago for 'below wing'). But +1 overall on this news of no IAM.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
I'm neither happy nor unhappy about this. The election was clean (according to the NMB), the employees voted no, and that's that.

I understand what unions are trying to accomplish overall (good working conditions and pay for employees and security for retirees), and I agree with those goals, but I've always thought it is horribly inefficient for this to be done on a company by company basis. Let the government build the social safety net (enough to take the sharp edges off but not so much that it discourages work), and let businesses focus on their business. Both employer and employee will be better off.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 6:11 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold (LT), Nat EL Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Well, the last time we had this discussion on the board I posted a rather critical assessment of the NW FA's and why I felt the union served as a shield for mediocrity. I received a PM from someone who told me exactly how much physical harm they would do to me if they ever met me in person. Always the mature road: if you can't win your case on merit, threaten physical violence.

This has happened to me also, though not online... I owuld simply reply with my standard, "bring it on" - at the end of the day, Unions bankrupt every company they get control of... the threat of physical harm doesn't deter me in my belief in sheer history.

As I said upthread, I'm pleased with this development. Delta's service level would substantially decline (some will ask if that's possible) if they unionize - it simply isn't about workplace safety or equality anymore, it is about money. Does anyone believe Unions would succeed in membership if they had to rely on people sending in payment each month instead of payroll deduct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.