Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta FA's to remain union free

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:09 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by Vuelos
If Delta managers are smart they will take the best of both ...
I'm not going to wade into this swamp, but despite all the pre-merger blaterhing about a new "Best Of Both" airline, nothing of the sort has occured.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:38 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by Sabai
I'm not going to wade into this swamp, but despite all the pre-merger blaterhing about a new "Best Of Both" airline, nothing of the sort has occured.
Hence the "if... smart"
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
That was a GREAT off duty FA you had to do that. Why would someone yell at an employee going out of their way like that? By the off duty FA doing that it kept many passengers happy (who are responsible for paying their pay) and left a good image of their employer and FA's in general.

In that case I would have definitely given the off duty FA a job well done certficiate if I had one and emailed Delta telling them how lucky they are to have employees like her.
I wouldn't have done that in the FA's situation. Union or non-union. FAs are hourly employees. They already get the shaft with block time. As people often have said, Delta is not a charity. Well, neither are it's workers. If Delta wants FAs to engage in employee activities then they need to pay them for that time.

When working off the clock becomes the norm and you have no contract then management is empowered press employees into unpaid service. This is particularly problematic in block time situations where many hourly employee protections do not apply.

That being said, I'm very pro-contract, but indifferent about unions. You don't have to have a union to have contracts with labor. I for one never work with out a contract.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by NWAFA
While the PMNW FAs are making a bit more money, both groups are still flying under concessionary wages. Nobody is making the money that we used to make. So far, no one is getting raises, only restoration in bits and pieces.
Problem is, the industry is not the same as it was 5 or 10 or 15 years ago, and it will never be the same again as the 'good ol' days'. Fuel prices are not going to decline much, and if/when they do come down, it will be because of reduced economic activity, and that certainly does not help the airlines either.

While it is admirable or desirable to try to claw back all those concessions, it comes with a price - revenues will have to increase to support those increased costs, and revenues will only increase with more 'nickel-and-diming', more consolidation, more cutbacks in capacity, etc., in order to force prices up....There is no such thing as a 'free lunch' and the sooner airline employees and passengers realize and accept that, the better off everyone will be...

Originally Posted by motytrah
I wouldn't have done that in the FA's situation. Union or non-union. FAs are hourly employees. They already get the shaft with block time. As people often have said, Delta is not a charity. Well, neither are it's workers. If Delta wants FAs to engage in employee activities then they need to pay them for that time.

When working off the clock becomes the norm and you have no contract then management is empowered press employees into unpaid service. This is particularly problematic in block time situations where many hourly employee protections do not apply.
It does not appear from the OP's story that it was Delta management that 'forced' the off-duty PMNW FA to help board the flight, but rather, the FA chose to do it voluntarily. The 'manager' who came on to reprimand the crew could also have been PMDL who was afraid that this 'mixing' of PMNW and PMDL FAs (not allowed while the NMB was still deliberating the interference claims) would create trouble with the union and the NMB....

Last edited by ClipperDelta; Nov 22, 2011 at 1:31 pm
Old Nov 22, 2011, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
P
It does not appear from the OP's story that it was Delta management that 'forced' the off-duty PMNW FA to help board the flight, but rather, the FA chose to do it voluntarily.
I understood that, but one day's volunteered can turn into the next days voluntold. No pay, no work.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

That being said, I'm very pro-contract, but indifferent about unions. You don't have to have a union to have contracts with labor. I for one never work with out a contract.

It sounds like the FA wasn't asked to help board the plane, she did it to assist the passengers (THE PEOPLE WHO PAY HER SALARY) and it helped out her coworkers as well. Who knows, the FA that helped out may have had someone help her out when she was late before.

While I don't expect an employee to work off the clock, it is appreciated it they get a call at 4:58 and will stay until 5:05 to help out a client and I also don't dock those employees if they are five minutes late because traffic was bad or they overslept by a few minutes. I am sure many employees in an office won't dock themselves the time to take an occassional personal phone call, to send a quick personal email, to order lunch while on company time for a pick up order to get while they are still on the clock.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, National Emerald Exec
Alternative headline:

Delta Flight Attendants to remain accountable, concerned, and motivated. Extremely low margin operation avoids unsustainable contracts.

This is wonderful news.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Great

Originally Posted by BFG
We just got word that the National Mediation Board has not found any interference by Delta in the flight attendant's election. The case has been dismissed.

No other details were shared at this time.
What really wonderful news. Woo Hoo
Old Nov 22, 2011, 3:36 pm

It sounds like the FA wasn't asked to help board the plane, she did it to assist the passengers (THE PEOPLE WHO PAY HER SALARY) and it helped out her coworkers as well. Who knows, the FA that helped out may have had someone help her out when she was late before.
They aren't salary, they are hourly. I understand why the FA did it and the friction had more to do with crew mixing, I'm just saying, I wouldn't and I think it sets a bad precedent for the workforce as a whole.

While I don't expect an employee to work off the clock, it is appreciated it they get a call at 4:58 and will stay until 5:05 to help out a client and I also don't dock those employees if they are five minutes late because traffic was bad or they overslept by a few minutes. I am sure many employees in an office won't dock themselves the time to take an occassional personal phone call, to send a quick personal email, to order lunch while on company time for a pick up order to get while they are still on the clock.
Yeah, DL isn't particularly forgiving to the front line folks, just ask GAs that close the door a minute late, TAs that don't force customers to use the kiosk or a FA that reports to the station late. What you need to keep in mind is the FAs work 30-60 minutes before a flight unpaid. Their clock doesn't start until door close and/or brake release. When they land they are off the clock before a single passenger has left the plane. The days when the wages and benefits took that time into account are long gone. All this made sense in the 70's and 80's. But we have the technology to actually track this kind of thing now. I just think the bean counters and executives would blow their stack if they actually had to pay FAs for actual time spent doing the work of the company.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
It does not appear from the OP's story that it was Delta management that 'forced' the off-duty PMNW FA to help board the flight, but rather, the FA chose to do it voluntarily. The 'manager' who came on to reprimand the crew could also have been PMDL who was afraid that this 'mixing' of PMNW and PMDL FAs (not allowed while the NMB was still deliberating the interference claims) would create trouble with the union and the NMB....
This is one of those things that is "understood". No FA knows that a plane needs help in boarding unless a manager asks for volunteers. Managers also remember who the "team players" are.

I know people hate when I share my stories, but I'm going to anyway.

Years ago at NW, we (FAs) would always "help out" where needed. Then we had a situation happen. A male FA was "helping out" the company by helping another crew board their plane so it could get out faster. Nice FA. This FA tripped leaving the aircraft and broke his foot. I remember him being wheeled into in-flight service. The FA was NOT covered by insurance because he was NOT scheduled to work that flight. When we (FAs) asked the company about it, their response? "He could have always said no". (To helping out)

Another thing that we used to do. While on our own time, we used to get up and help the working crew do service, because NW always scheduled minimum crew. Then after the broken foot incident, we refused to help out on our own time crews that were short staffed. And those crews would tell a volunteer to sit down and not help.

You see, the company was saving a bundle by all of our "volunteer" work. Not to mention it is illegal to work additional time over over a maximum duty day or x amount of hours in a row. If FAA came on board and requested schedules and found out that the FA was illegal to fly or going to be illegal for their next trip, the FAA could not only fine the individual FA, but also have them pulled from their next trip for violation of rest regulations.

Sooooo, you tell me. Is it worth really worth it for the FAs to work for free?
DL is a great company. If the FA is willing to help out in a boarding situation, DL should gladly apply that time to the FA's schedule so that they can get paid for working.

"Problem is, the industry is not the same as it was 5 or 10 or 15 years ago, and it will never be the same again as the 'good ol' days'. Fuel prices are not going to decline much, and if/when they do come down, it will be because of reduced economic activity, and that certainly does not help the airlines either.

While it is admirable or desirable to try to claw back all those concessions, it comes with a price - revenues will have to increase to support those increased costs, and revenues will only increase with more 'nickel-and-diming', more consolidation, more cutbacks in capacity, etc., in order to force prices up....There is no such thing as a 'free lunch' and the sooner airline employees and passengers realize and accept that, the better off everyone will be..."

And yet our pilot's have virtually restored their pay. I never had a free lunch, with the exception of contractual meals.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 4:31 pm

They aren't salary, they are hourly. I understand why the FA did it and the friction had more to do with crew mixing, I'm just saying, I wouldn't and I think it sets a bad precedent for the workforce as a whole.

Yeah, DL isn't particularly forgiving to the front line folks, just ask GAs that close the door a minute late, TAs that don't force customers to use the kiosk or a FA that reports to the station late. What you need to keep in mind is the FAs work 30-60 minutes before a flight unpaid. Their clock doesn't start until door close and/or brake release. When they land they are off the clock before a single passenger has left the plane. The days when the wages and benefits took that time into account are long gone. All this made sense in the 70's and 80's. But we have the technology to actually track this kind of thing now. I just think the bean counters and executives would blow their stack if they actually had to pay FAs for actual time spent doing the work of the company.
You are right on all counts. A late sign in, even by a minute is enough to have a FA removed from their trip and/or have a note put into their file that claims that that FA has a dependability issue. At DL, all negatives stay in their files. At NW, after two years, a negative could be removed and given a fresh start.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL:PM - Reserve, 2MM, FC, RW; HH: SILVER MR: SILVER
Congratulations to both Delta and the Flight Attendants for finally getting closure on this after almost a year of review.

Hopefully, this will pave the road for better integration of the FAs and policies going forward, and be the cornerstone that allows everyone at Delta to focus on the challenge of transforming Delta's Customer Service to once again be rated #1 in North America.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 5:10 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Hilton
I have been flying in and out of SEA for past 4 years and always noticed the NWA carts in the aisle and the A319/320/330 aircraft with the NW registration number.There was always a lack of that southern Atlanta hospitality on those flights with the FA crew, so I get they were probably all NWA FA's.

Out of curiosity, were most flights from MSP/DTW to SEA with NW FA's and the ATL/CVG/SLC flights to SEA with DL FA's?
Old Nov 22, 2011, 5:46 pm

Programs: Delta, American, United, Lufthansa, BA, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt, Holiday Inn, Hertz, AVIS, Sixt
Yes, the PMNW FAs did receive parity with the PMDL FAs in pay. But, so far that's it.

The PMNW FAs will continue to fly under their contract rules and PMDL FAs will continue to fly under their DL work rules.

PMNW FAs will not be giving up their contract until both groups are finally merged as one. It doesn't look like the two groups will be merged until approximately until May 2012. It will take months for DL to be able to get future flying straightened out. Which bases need to be closed, merging groups in bases that exist for both groups. Which bases will be able to handled future flying. Which bases need to be increased in size or decreased in size. And also to get the FAs into bases.

While the PMNW FAs are making a bit more money, both groups are still flying under concessionary wages. Nobody is making the money that we used to make. So far, no one is getting raises, only restoration in bits and pieces.

Both groups are hoping that DL will take some of the good contractual language from the PMNW FA contract and add it to the DL work rules.
Example, PMNW FAs are paid for actual hours flown where as PMDL FAs are paid by averaging flight hours. The PMNW FAs generally make more money though where paid less before the 19th. Holiday pay is more in the contract than in the work rules. Rest rules are more favorable in the contract than in the work rules. Duty day limitations are more favorable in the contract than in the work rules. Extended duty pay is also more favorable in the contract than in the work rules.

It will be interesting to see how it all works out.
As long as it makes a difference to the customer. I'd like to have more voting opportunity for the customers. Put a rating in after each flight, like they have a certain immigration booths at international airports. I'd like to see a bonus for the people who actually care about the customer instead of who represents them. All these discussions .... let's focus on the product.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 5:51 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
I know people hate when I share my stories, but I'm going to anyway.
The anecdotes always provide a good storyline to understand your reasoning and I, for one, do appreciate.

Years ago at NW, we (FAs) would always "help out" where needed. Then we had a situation happen. A male FA was "helping out" the company by helping another crew board their plane so it could get out faster. Nice FA. This FA tripped leaving the aircraft and broke his foot. I remember him being wheeled into in-flight service. The FA was NOT covered by insurance because he was NOT scheduled to work that flight. When we (FAs) asked the company about it, their response? "He could have always said no". (To helping out)
If things are the same way today, I 1000% understand a reluctance to assist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.