Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BFG
Here is the Delta press release

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1490
Old Nov 18, 2011, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by adamj023
Seems like we are an anti-union bunch here ...
I am pro-union but in this case I am just fine with the turnout, because workers had the chance to decide for themselves if they wanted union representation. If they voted against it, presumably they know what works best for them.

Not surprising that the AFA is going to be unhappy, as the opportunity to have thousands of additional members would have extended their power but such is life.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 6:46 pm
Suspended

I don't like unions.

Originally Posted by silverthief2
I am pro-union but in this case I am just fine with the turnout, because workers had the chance to decide for themselves if they wanted union representation. If they voted against it, presumably they know what works best for them.

Not surprising that the AFA is going to be unhappy, as the opportunity to have thousands of additional members would have extended their power but such is life.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by adamj023
I don't like unions.
That's fine. To each their own.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
^ GREAT news.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
^ GREAT news.
That we can all agree on. This allows Delta to be a lot more competitive.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 7:16 pm

I really hate things like weekends. That's why I'm anti-union.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 7:19 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium

Would have extended their power only by lining their pockets with more greenbacks.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 7:22 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I'm really surprised that Delta won their case at the NMB, whose membership has been politicized by the current administration.

Given the Obama appointees that run the NMB, the AFA must really have had no colorable case to have lost this one.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 7:26 pm

Programs: Diamond Hilton, Titanium Marriott, Delta DM, President Circle Herz, NIGHTS IN OWN BED 2022 28
Originally Posted by ND76
I'm really surprised that Delta won their case at the NMB, whose membership has been politicized by the current administration.

Given the Obama appointees that run the NMB, the AFA must really have had no colorable case to have lost this one.
I wondered how long it would take for someone to throw Obama name in this. Anyways I think to all flyers it is better for us no union imagine if they went on strike and we had to serve ourselves our own drinks in FC this board would light up like Christmas tree
Old Nov 18, 2011, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, FB PM, Gamer/Trickster.
Unions good, unions bad, whatever; at least now there maybe won't be so much unprofessional whining from PMNW FAs. It's over, get over it. Integrate.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 8:00 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
ye$ thou$ans$ of member$hip due$ will be lo$t.

LOVED this quote:
“I am shocked that this country’s cancerous attack on bargaining rights took away my voice at work today, and obliterated the hard work of women and men who came before me to build a contract and a career. In the face of workplace intimidation nearly ten thousand of us stood up and by the slightest margin our rights were stripped away. I can’t believe the agency that is charged with overseeing bargaining rights turned its back on me and my coworkers.” stated Delta Flight Attendant Belea Bower.

Interesting line by someone losing $34k/year as a result of the changes:

http://www.unionfacts.com/employee/C...ca/BELEA/BOWER

Total Compensation: $34,191.00

MEC Communications Chair Belea Bower is DTW-based and has been a flight attendant with Northwest Airlines (now Delta) since 1986. She is responsible for the creation and distribution of newsletters and electronic communications.
http://www.nwaafa.org/committees/communications/
Old Nov 18, 2011, 8:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by Diamondkellen
I wondered how long it would take for someone to throw Obama name in this. Anyways I think to all flyers it is better for us no union imagine if they went on strike and we had to serve ourselves our own drinks in FC this board would light up like Christmas tree
Because, sadly, just about every decision made by the political appointees of a federal agency these days is not based on law or precedent, but on power, and who the "friends" of the administration are, and who the "enemies" are. That the decision might be based on substantial evidence from the entire record of a proceeding or on case precedent is merely coincidental. I've practiced administrative law in DC for over 30 years, dating back to the Carter administration, and this is as bad as I've ever seen it.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
so what are union dues worth to an FA who no longer has to pay?
Old Nov 18, 2011, 8:26 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by Vuelos
ye$ thou$ans$ of member$hip due$ will be lo$t.
Yeah, beyond the millions already lost in their fight. Let's look back one year ago:

Union chief unable to bag Delta after 16-year pursuit
http://www.ajc.com/business/union-ch...to-732013.html

"Friend became the AFA’s president in 1995, and a year later it started working in earnest at Delta. The union set up an organizing fund and earmarked a $1 per member per month allocation of dues to the cause. That led to a representation vote in 2002, which the union lost badly. Another vote in 2008 did better but still fell well short of a majority favoring the AFA.

Over the years, the union has probably spent millions of dollars, Friend said.

“We knew that it was going to be a long-term investment,” she said."

ETA: info from AFA site: AFA represents nearly 60,000 flight attendants at 23 airlines.
In other words, each of those 60,000 were paying $1/month towards bagging the big beast they saw as Delta.

Last edited by PRWeezer; Nov 18, 2011 at 9:01 pm Reason: added more information

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.