Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Updated: Award Redeposit and Reissue Rule Change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: What Do You Think About the Policy Change for Award Re-Deposits and Re-Issues?
I am in favor of it.
13.39%
I am opposed to it and intend to be loyal to a different airline frequent flier loyalty program.
49.82%
I am opposed to it but will remain loyal to the Delta SkyMiles frequent flier loyalty program.
23.88%
I am not affected by it, am neutral about it, do not know, have no opinion or do not care.
12.91%
Voters: 829. You may not vote on this poll

Updated: Award Redeposit and Reissue Rule Change

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2011, 8:54 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by mtkeller
"Although not a commitment, I believe our Reservations and Customer Care staff will handle these situations on a case-by-case basis".

Wow, Jeff, can't even commit to having customer service handle emergencies on a case-by-case basis? I wouldn't expect a commitment to resolve them all to the customer's satisfaction, but at least committing to handling exceptional circumstances on a case-by-case basis would be reasonable.

Why can't businesses hire people who speak and write English? Or is the Public Relations training in our universites really so poor?

1. "Our Reservations and Customer Care staff will handle these situations on a case-by-case basis." would be a limited commitment.

2. "I believe our Reservations and Customer Care staff will handle these situations on a case-by-case basis." is not a commitment but holds out some hope. (I believe I will win the Lottery)

3. "Although not a commitment" immediately nullifies any subsequent statement --- You may as well say "You probably shouldn't believe what I'm about to say".

While not a commitment, I believe Delta pays Jeff good money to spew this garbage.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 8:56 am

Programs: DL/UA/AA/BA
flawed logic - this is RASM negative

Originally Posted by MNAudiS4
It has nothing to do with no shows, they fixed that problem 2 weeks ago.

The real reason is changes within 72 hrs. They are losing millions of miles of people changing to get low award tickets, but I am really not sure how savvy most DL DM/PM fliers really are. I think we give to much credit of people not on FT.
DL's logic is flawed and the consequence may likely be revenue negative. Seats released/available under 72 hours are only there b/c revenue management didn't keep it available for sale. Conversely, the seat you exchanged out of under 72 hours may be highly valued - perhaps even on an oversold flight. Under the new rules, you won't/can't give up that potentially more valued seat.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 8:57 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by MaximumSisu
3. "Although not a commitment" immediately nullifies any subsequent statement --- You may as well say "You probably shouldn't believe what I'm about to say".
Good observation. LOL
Old Aug 10, 2011, 9:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by cottonpatch
This is exactly my take on the whole situation. I read the original post from Michele and I thought the whole tone was a little belligerent and adversarial and seemed to dare us to start the conversation.

I've thought about the new policy for about 24 hours now. I now know understand how it will impact me. My loyalty is starting to wane.
yup. I think many of us were resigned to the fact that as lousy as the SM program was, it was at best, tolerable. However, this is probably going to be the straw that broke the camels back.

I repeat myself, this new Delta policy wouldn't be so bad if you could find low tiered business award tickets months out and not have to worry about waiting for the proverbial 72 hour window to open up to find the drop of low level seats.

As another user pointed out, what happens when someone books award travel and uses up 400,000 miles and has a legitimate reason to cancel within 72 hours? From what Michelle said in her only post here, agents can use discretion, but now that I think about it, what if they elect not to?

There has to be a better way to accomplish what they want to do without further screwing the elitists.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 9:05 am

Programs: Chivas, Tequila, Good Beer
Originally Posted by fti
TSA lines at MSP? Use the Skyway security checkpoint and that is a moot point. Rarely a long line there - so seldom much of a line there that they don't even have a priority line.
Thursday's between 2 and 6 PM I have seen the line clear back to the parking elevators. SP line in the terminal is way faster and airline crews don't cut in all the time like they do on the skyway.

Sunday evenings yes, I agree, empty; But then the TSA agents are so bored with the lack of activity they want to practice rectal exams on you.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BenA
No, I read it all the way through. As I mentioned in my post, she claims agents will have a measure of discretion:

But the official policy posted on Delta.com makes no mention of this flexibility, and 'extenuating circumstances' means it would be up to me to convince an agent to make an exception to the policy. I expect that, given the fantastic Chisholm agents, I could probably find someone to do it for me - but my point is simply that it's an added measure of stress that isn't there today, when award changes are officially permitted.
Great move DL. So what do you think is going to happen, people will flood the phone lines until someone cancels. Just simply make it a friendly policy otherwise you'll have angry customers meet unfriendly agent, guess what that recipe makes.

Originally Posted by deltagoldflyer
Yes we are all "plugged in" here at FT and know about this. But think about this; most of the REALLY BIG spenders have no idea this has become LAW!

Think what will happen when the next wave finds out what DL has done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXAGo...layer_embedded

I think the video says it all!
I've been calling the Loyalty/Benevolence crap since that commercial came out.

Originally Posted by mtkeller
Just got my "response" from Jeff. What a laugh. My favorite excerpts:

"With over 1 million award seats cancelled or changed within 72 hours of departure (not including same-day standby and same-day confirmed) and over 400,000 of those tickets cancelled post-departure (no-shows), we needed to make this policy change."

So this change is to deal with 600K award seats (and remember, most award bookings are not non-stop, so that's really more like 200K to 300K award bookings), since the other 400K were taken care of with July's change of preventing redeposit after departure. Seems like a pretty drastic change to solve a very minor problem.

With regard to the inflexibility in the event of emergencies:

"Although not a commitment, I believe our Reservations and Customer Care staff will handle these situations on a case-by-case basis".

Wow, Jeff, can't even commit to having customer service handle emergencies on a case-by-case basis? I wouldn't expect a commitment to resolve them all to the customer's satisfaction, but at least committing to handling exceptional circumstances on a case-by-case basis would be reasonable.

Yeah, I got the same response. Funny, word for word. Wonder if he really is writing (at least copying and pasting) or some poor bloke is being paid $6/hr as part of his internship to do this. Probably learning more about CS than Jeff is if you ask me.

to the response, no consideration. Seems like case closed.

He writes in the end how tough it was a decision. As if he was doing it for us.

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Two weeks ago, we were told:

"... Last year, our planes departed with more than 400,000 empty seats because customers had Award Tickets booked but did not physically fly in those seats. This change to our redeposit policy will make those seats available to other members and ultimately increase our Award Ticket availability."

Now we hear:

"...we determined that there are more than 1,000,000 award seats that were going unused at the 72 hour mark prior to departure. That is 3 days in which those seats could otherwise be sold or used for other SkyMiles members who truly intend to sit in the seat and travel. "

Unless both "facts" were plucked out of thin air (a very real possibility). it would seem that 60% of the seats available at T-72 hours are sold before flight time. 60% are "otherwise ... sold or used."

So, the picture is no more bleak than it was two weeks ago... 400,000 allegedly empty seats per year... or 0.5 seats per flight (assuming 65,000 flights per month).

One seat on every other flight...

I have learned to be suspicious when a DL exec's lips start moving.

I'd have to see an independent audit of the numbers before I believe this.

BTW... I have to assume that our meek acceptance of the first restriction two weeks ago emboldened them to implement the second, more severe restriction.

What comes next if we roll over on this one?
I have said a few times here and still believe, they count all the empty award seats going out in that 1M. But I'm sure they count all the unredeemed high awards. Seriously, who's going to redeem an award for 500K Skypesos? I don't care if it puts me in some lie flat to Timbuktu, I am not redeeming that.

Originally Posted by avidflyer
Delta has already spoke on the issue and it stands as is: "There will be no further discussion". The reality is you are giving them way too much credit...this was not done to fix a problem..there are a million ways (you suggest one of them) to do that and to suggest that the folks at DL are not smart enough to think of them is really really naive. This was done because too many people are getting at the "hidden" Low availability otherwise they would have done it differently.
+1, because there was no problem except DL left open an opportunity to take more miles away.

What is the consensus on who is doing the best status matches now? CO, UA, AA? I think we should form a group and offer to go together (as the corporate discount thread is trying to do).
Old Aug 10, 2011, 9:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Angry no word from OFFICAL DELTA people so far?

Does anyone else find it funny that with this soon becoming the biggest thread on DELTA FT that there has not been one word from the DELTA REP?

Could it be that the CEO has said you are DONE and we are DONE here?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 9:08 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by yngdiego
I emailed Jeff Robertson and Richard Anderson last night. This morning I got a response from Jeff Robertson:

Yngdiego,

Thanks for your feedback and for sharing your disappointment with regards to this policy change. It was a decision that we did not take lightly and something we carefully analyzed. With over 1 million award seats cancelled or changed within 72 hours of departure (not including same-day standby and same-day confirmed) and over 400,000 of those tickets cancelled post-departure (no-shows), we needed to make this policy change. By limiting the window to 72 hours, we tried to retain as much flexiblity for customers in advance, and still balance the need to reallocate use of seats that are held and then ultimately canceled.

Several customers have mentioned to me in the last day or two that in situations out of a customer's control, the new policy limits flexiblity. Although not a commitment, I believe our Reservations and Customer Care staff will handle these situations on a case-by-case basis, and as with any of our policies, make exceptions as necessary.

Again, I appreciate your feedback and understand your disappointment; however, it was a tough decision that we had to make.

----

Another canned response that doesn't address any of the concerns I expressed. I even stated I'm fine with the foreifiting of miles if you are a NO SHOW.
This is identical to the response I got from Jeff, word for word.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 9:16 am
Suspended

From Anet; N7371f writes:

Plus, your argument buys into the Delta-made excuse that all of these seats go unused. Well what is the incentive for the passenger to notify Delta they're not flying on an award ticket? There isn't one. Whether you call or not within 72 hours, you lose the mileage. It creates no different a scenario than what Delta wants people to believe is the core problem.

This essentially, to a degree, discredits what Michelle said in her one and only post.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 9:23 am
Suspended

Delta Planes don't go out with all the empty seats they claim. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there a point in time before the scheduled departure time when there is a no-show that Delta will fill that seat with a passenger flying standby, waiting for a SDC or a non-rev?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by ryandc99
This is identical to the response I got from Jeff, word for word.
Same here. This was crafted for mass distribution.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Silver, AVIS First
Actually none of this is surprising, given that they have been handing out miles like candy.

To balance the insane amounts of miles they've been dispensing, they've had to balance that by making it much harder to use them, and to require SkyMiles members to use more of them to accomplish the same thing.

I suspect if they didn't toss loads of miles at folks every time they complain, and give heaps of them away in AmEx promos and double and triple MQM bonus schemes, etc., we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

IMO, we're looking at the end result of a massive currency devaluation.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Steve Martin's "Jubiliation Day" Song describe the situation

Originally Posted by nypdLieu
yup. I think many of us were resigned to the fact that as lousy as the SM program was, it was at best, tolerable. However, this is probably going to be the straw that broke the camels back.
Follow this link (http://www.cmt.com/videos/steve-mart...artist=1173942) and insert "Delta" where appropriate. The punchline at the end may describe our situation with SkyMiles. We may all be better if we realize our relationship is probably not mutually beneficial.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 9:27 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Does anyone else find it funny that with this soon becoming the biggest thread on DELTA FT that there has not been one word from the DELTA REP?
+1 Seriously. I thought a "conversation" was being started.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 9:29 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
notice the wording...

"Over the past year, more than 1,000,000 Award Tickets were reissued or canceled within 72 hours of departure"

Reissued- every minor change=reissue! why do we need changes?
Well- award calendar is STILL broken!
routes open in 72 hours!
all of a sudden, lower skymiles award is open! why? because you did not sell it and now you 'throw' it to SM!

Then, even if you say all seats are no show, and you take the upper number-1 million, it means 2,740 seats a day, or 1 or less seats per flight (assuming 3,500-4,000 flights a day). Delta-NO SOUP. You just want to erase more miles from the books! you want to hurt the clients, and you want to do it with retroactive affect on terms of sale. I hope the DOT would make enough negative noise on your end. Always good to keep good relations with the regulator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.