Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Updated: Award Redeposit and Reissue Rule Change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: What Do You Think About the Policy Change for Award Re-Deposits and Re-Issues?
I am in favor of it.
13.39%
I am opposed to it and intend to be loyal to a different airline frequent flier loyalty program.
49.82%
I am opposed to it but will remain loyal to the Delta SkyMiles frequent flier loyalty program.
23.88%
I am not affected by it, am neutral about it, do not know, have no opinion or do not care.
12.91%
Voters: 829. You may not vote on this poll

Updated: Award Redeposit and Reissue Rule Change

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL DM & 1MM, AA, BA, National Emerald
Although i do not make a habit of this practice... Go figure ... DL can make such changes that help them BUT can't fix award calander that helps FF. Finding low mileage ticket in advance..... ya right.
DL Skymiles you suck! There I feel better
(btw I don't need a DL SM raving fan to try and make me feel better right now.. It won't work)
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by Spiff
Over 30 pages in 12 hours. Congratulations, Michelle. Your company's terrible business decision has caused responses and discussion on par with a number of the bigger mistake fares in FT history.

(That's nothing to be proud of, BTW.)
Seriously... I haven't seen this many responses in 12 hours since $199 fares from the west coast to EU! (and even then, I don't think it was this many!)
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Unfortunately the CEO and VP of the program have already said none of this is up for discussion and it will be implemented as is.
But... but... Michelle said "Let the conversation begin"! They promised a "conversation"!

Wait. You mean... someone at DL was... lying to their best customers?

My world doesn't make sense anymore.

Not.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by BearX220
But... but... Michelle said "Let the conversation begin"! They promised a "conversation"!

Wait. You mean... someone at DL was... lying to their best customers?

My world doesn't make sense anymore.
As shocking as it sounds yes, according to the responses received from those individuals the deal is done and it is now posted on DL.com.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:52 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
reading too late

If within 72 hours yes.
Yes, got that. But it doesn't say, "The outbound can't be changed"; it says "The ticket can't be changed."

It's late and I'm reading this too closely. I hope.

I should have stopped with Michelle's "Let's start the conversation." Still waiting.

Last edited by AKC6; Aug 9, 2011 at 8:55 pm Reason: clarity
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:55 pm

Programs: Bonvoy (Titanium) . Delta (Platinum)
Originally Posted by N522US
This is hilarious!!! Thanks for the laughs...need them.
^

Glad someone got that they were meant to laugh at this.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:56 pm

So far I do not see the downside for Delta.....

At least some of the 52 votes for I am gone... are probably from the posters trumpeting the fact that they already have left.... No loss to Delta there. (And of course half of the "I am gone" outcry group will be back. Some of them have packed up and left so many times it's a revolving door )

I am not sure either way on this, but I expect that it is not going to have a huge effect either way based NOT on the posts on here but what I read on both DL.com and the email they sent me.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:57 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter
So far I do not see the downside for Delta.....

At least some of the 52 votes for I am gone... are probably from the posters trumpeting the fact that they already have left.... No loss to Delta there. (And of course half of the "I am gone" outcry group will be back. Some of them have packed up and left so many times it's a revolving door )

I am not sure either way on this, but I expect that it is not going to have a huge effect either way based NOT on the posts on here but what I read on both DL.com and the email they sent me.
You might want to count the votes. I really doubt that everyone has cast their ballot.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:15 pm

Programs: Chivas, Tequila, Good Beer
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter
Agree.

This change does not impact the most important benefits:

UPGRADES on all fares and AWARD tickets
SKYPRIORTY services
Free SC for DMs
Gifting of FO or GM status
Free Bags
Special phone lines
Prefered handling during IROPS
Companion UGs

Jumping to another carrier and leaving all of those benefits because now one can not cancel an award ticket on short notice makes no sense to me.

I am 67 UGs out of 68 legs and cruise through security, get free SC access, gifted GOLD to a friend and SILVER to my daughter, and got protected last week when my flight got cancelled. I would not trade that off for 40K Skymiles on a lost award ticket or because I need to pay a $150 fee to reschedule the award.

Is the change uncool? yes. Is the sky falling? Hell no!
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:18 pm

My hunch is that it has something to do with this:

http://moneywatch.bnet.com/saving-mo...-flights/4756/

And the c-suite discussion went like this:

Anderson: Damnit Jeff, I dont like bad press like this. What are you going to do about it?

Robertson: I know Richard. I had my people take a look at the problem first thing this morning.

Anderson: Well? What did they find out?

Robertson: Ya know, uh, it seems to be our customers that are causing the problems.

Anderson: Our customers who ranked us among the lowest IN THE WORLD are the root cause?

Robertson: I know it sounds crazy doesnt it?

Anderson: Damnit Jeff. Whats the matter? Cat got your tongue. WHAT data do you have?

Robertson: Well, uh, Richard, it appears over 1,000,000 award seats are going unused at the 72 hour mark prior to departure. That is 3 days in which those seats could otherwise be sold or used for other SkyMiles members who truly intend to sit in the seat and travel.

Anderson: Damnit Jeff. Our customers have been complaining for years that they cant find award seat because of our booking engine. Could it be that those 1,000,000 seats cant be located by our customers because the award engine isnt finding the availability for them?

Robertson: Definitely not. We added a bunch of pretty graphics, spiffed up the GUI, and created an iPhone app so we dont believe it has anything to do with the booking engine.

Anderson: Good point. Similar to our livery changes over the years, what the customer sees actually looks fresh, but what the customer experiences is different. But by then we have their money and the amount we comp and refund is negligible. Airline passengers are price sensitive and stupid. This is very consistent with one of our strategies reality absent marketing. Hotels could make a killing operating like this. Very similar perishable service models you know.

Robertson: You are so right Richard, I could hug you.

Anderson: So?

Robertson: So? Richard it wouldnt be appropriate for me to hug you. Were in the office!

Anderson: Damnit Jeff. I mean, why do we have 1,000,000 unused award seats at 72 hours out?

Robertson: Well we just cant figure it out. Think about it. 4000 flights a day, including Delta Connection. 1,000,000 award seats. That means each flight would have 250 seats on it. That just doesnt add up. Our heads were kinda hurtin. So we figured it must be the customer. Ya know, theyre always the enemy in this business. Always trying to find a loop hole in our rules. Take advantage of us and all. Ya know.

Anderson: You know Jeff, you must be right. I am so sick and tired of this damn SkyMiles program lets really show them. No changes after 72 prior to departure and to really show them if they make a change they forfeit their miles. That should do it.

Robertson: I agree. That was our specific recommendation to you.

Anderson: Excellent work by the team. Looks like you really got to root cause on this one. Go ahead and implement this Jeff. Lets monitor it for a week. If we get a lot of noise well give in a little well implement a fee to reinstate forfeited miles, $250 per transaction. We need another revenue stream.

Robertson: Excellent idea Richard. the Board of Directors will love it. I learn so much from working with you.

Anderson: Pleasure. Im off to another strategy meeting this morning. Were looking at not putting in the Sky Club in the new JFK T4 addition, instead putting more terminal seating in the space since were over capacity to begin with; hiring the Piggly Wiggly to replace Michelle Bernstein as our BE executive chef; and, this is super confidential, recos for the new livery!

Robertson: Sounds like a great strategy meeting. Building a better airline. Love it. Go get em tiger! Oops, I know, were still in the office!
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, LH
Thanks, Michelle, for the heads-up. I was previosly undecided about whether to take UA Economy Plus for my fall trip to Asia, or try out DL's Economy Plus, and secure SIlver Elite status for 2012.

You made my decision easy. I will take UA. (I used to be a NWA Plat, then Gold, before DL added all of the rules to Sky Miles, abandoned NWA's highly functional web-site, and took away the mid-day cheese from the Sky Clubs. I will finish this year with about 37,000 UA/CO Elite Qualifying miles, and 17,000 on DL. Even with roll-over, your frequent flyer plan has lost its value to me.)
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
There is low availability inside 72 hours. Delta put the availability there on purpose and now are making sure you cant get at it unless you want to up and fly to Europe in 2 days. That is in fact the issue. It has nothing to do with low availability ahead of time...if it were there this would not be an issue.
That is the point. DL will do things now:

1. Be even stingier until T-72, blaming everyone who doesn't cancel until 72 hours (supposedly there will be 1m+ of these).

2. Make PM/DM's decide to cancel a med/high at 72hrs and take a chance or not fly altogether.

Either way, lose for PM/DM.

Originally Posted by PepeBorja
Agree.

This change does not impact the most important benefits:

UPGRADES on all fares and AWARD tickets
SKYPRIORTY services
Free SC for DMs
Gifting of FO or GM status
Free Bags
Special phone lines
Prefered handling during IROPS
Companion UGs

Jumping to another carrier and leaving all of those benefits because now one can not cancel an award ticket on short notice makes no sense to me.

I am 67 UGs out of 68 legs and cruise through security, get free SC access, gifted GOLD to a friend and SILVER to my daughter, and got protected last week when my flight got cancelled. I would not trade that off for 40K Skymiles on a lost award ticket or because I need to pay a $150 fee to reschedule the award.

Is the change uncool? yes. Is the sky falling? Hell no!
I agree the impact isn't huge, but the point is the way DL is implementing this for me (no customer input, changes no less than 1 month after 1 change). Further, to me this is not the only straw, but simply the one that broke the camel's back. I'm sick and tired of seeing one by one things get worse at DL, and I'm not going to stay here until the ship completely sinks.

What you list above was historically always part of a FFP, so saying DL still has them doesn't instill much confidence in me.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:28 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by hoth300
TO EVERYONE WHO HAS ENOUGH MILES:

BOOK AN AWARD TICKET (OR PAID TICKET) THAT YOU DON'T PLAN TO USE BEFORE AUG 15.

If someone has 500,000 miles, book 5 international J tickets (the seats DL really cares about) and cancel last minute before the 15th.

Let's screw with DL's inventory to show them how we feel!
That's not going to do anything to help us get things changed....
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:30 pm

Programs: Delta Ham Sammich, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold, Chalet Suites Matterhorn
Originally Posted by GrizShel
That's right we are the problem, I am so sorry for stealing your award seats.

how dare we try to tweak these trips to get more bearable itineraries and decent value for our miles. I'm so ashamed of myself.
I notice that it's mostly FO who aren't livid about this. Why should they be, since they were already resigned to flying DL for about 4 years to earn enough for the occasional 'low' BE to Europe ? Gosh it would take, what, 8 years of flying as an FO to earn enough to take a family of 4 to Europe on a low COACH fare. Not to rag on FO's, I used to be one, but seriously, DL is now slamming on the PM/DM crowd, it must be a "thin the herd" move.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Posted this on another site, but back to one way awards:

The fact that a Delta one-way costs the same as a round-trip makes it a joke. I've even had agents on the Diamond line comment that the Delta one-way awards are a joke (and often, it's cheaper to buy it as a round trip. If you're going one-way outbound and only 40k seats are available, you pay 40k. You pair it up with a 25k award ticket on the way back, and that price magically drops to 32.5k round trip. Amazing how that works!).

Delta, if you're so worried about people not showing up, maybe (just maybe) the system you have in place is completely broken. If faced with the option of paying 40k for a one-way or 32.5k for a round-trip that includes the same outbound flight, guess which one I'm doing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.