Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Updated: Award Redeposit and Reissue Rule Change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: What Do You Think About the Policy Change for Award Re-Deposits and Re-Issues?
I am in favor of it.
13.39%
I am opposed to it and intend to be loyal to a different airline frequent flier loyalty program.
49.82%
I am opposed to it but will remain loyal to the Delta SkyMiles frequent flier loyalty program.
23.88%
I am not affected by it, am neutral about it, do not know, have no opinion or do not care.
12.91%
Voters: 829. You may not vote on this poll

Updated: Award Redeposit and Reissue Rule Change

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2011, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by DL757ATL
What a rude and condescending post. So you hope for 70,000+ people to lose their jobs because every last one of them is 'incompetent'? And here's a head's up: calling company representatives 'unskilled' is not the way to have them come back and engage the community.

By the way, "harassing other members" is against the FT terms of service. Your post has been reported.

Cheers!
DL757ATL
Perhaps a tad over the line, but not much more rude and condescending than DL's posts which start out suggesting that DL wants a frank discussion of this policy when, in fact, the policy is cast in stone and DL has no real interest in hearing any discussion. Numerous posters have explained why this policy is BS and have offered alternatives. DL isn't interested. DL has no intention of "engaging the community;" they've made that clear and it isn't because their feelings were hurt. I don't think the poster was suggesting that 70,000 + people should lose their job because they are incompetent. I believe he was saying that when a company shows such little respect for its best customers, it doesn't deserve to be in business.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 5:29 pm

Programs: United 1k (finally!), Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Yeah, I already looked at that page. I'm booked in AF R
Might be worth a call to AF to see if you can upfare to T or another earning class; shouldn't be TOO much of a difference.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 5:33 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by DLroads
We need Michelle in the future.
Why? Heck, I can speak corporate BS just as well.......
Old Aug 10, 2011, 5:37 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles (Silver), UA Mileage Plus, US Scareways, AA Advantage
Now we're up to 194 elites leaving Delta...even if half that amount leave, Delta will still lose a pretty handsome chunk of change.

Let's say that 100 of the people who say they're leaving actually leave and the average yearly spend is $10,000 (some lower and some much higher). That's a million bucks lost right there. Just think, Delta could've spent that million on fixing (or even attempting to fix) the SkyMiles program, which IMO, would pay off more in the long run.
Please feel free to point out how flawed my logic is .
Old Aug 10, 2011, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by mhbaker
Perhaps a tad over the line, but not much more rude and condescending than DL's posts which start out suggesting that DL wants a frank discussion of this policy when, in fact, the policy is cast in stone and DL has no real interest in hearing any discussion. Numerous posters have explained why this policy is BS and have offered alternatives. DL isn't interested. DL has no intention of "engaging the community;" they've made that clear and it isn't because their feelings were hurt. I don't think the poster was suggesting that 70,000 + people should lose their job because they are incompetent. I believe he was saying that when a company shows such little respect for its best customers, it doesn't deserve to be in business.
DL needs to survive for the sake of the good employees.

But its long term survival is put a risk by the current management team.

A company in the service industry cannot survive when the management is this tone deaf to customer concerns.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, FB PM, Gamer/Trickster.
Originally Posted by Michelle_DeltaSkyMiles
Thank you for your feedback. Understandably, there has been a lot of traffic on this topic and we’ve been reviewing all your comments. We see several questions have popped up repeatedly and we’d like to address those.

“Can I still make a new Award booking within 72 hours of departure?”
Yes, you can. There is no change to the booking window. You can and always have been able to book Award Tickets within 72 hours of departure. It is important to note that bookings within 72 hours of scheduled flight departure time are non-refundable per the new policy.

“Why not allow changes to my Award Ticket within 72 hours? Or, why not allow changes within 72 hours for a fee?”
As previously stated, allowing changes within 72 hours would result in unused Award Seats. The same reasoning applies for why no changes will be allowed for a fee, even if the origin/ destination doesn’t change. It simply would not address the issue at hand - seats going unused.

“Is Delta going to be implementing one-way Awards?”
We know that many of you have been asking for this ability. We appreciate your feedback and will continue to evaluate.

“Are the one million unused Award Seats due to the ‘glitches’ in the Award Calendar?”
The issues that you may have experienced from the Award Calendar do not contribute to the unused Award Seats. We have done a lot to improve the Award Calendar, and we’ll continue to make improvements to this tool.

Hopefully, this helps to clarify some of your questions. This policy change was not an easy decision but it was the right one.

Thanks,

Michelle, SkyMiles | Delta Social Ambassador
Connect with us at Twitter.com/Delta & Facebook.com/Delta
I like how none of these questions were ones we really cared about, like, oh, I dunno, why you don't just offer the low award tickets earlier, or why you don't fix the obvious IT problems with the booking system, or why don't you explain the actual methodology behind the fake 1M seat number. Oh yeah, it's because you don't actually care about your frequent flyers. SO INSULTING.

Again, for the 3rd time, ban these DL public relations hacks from FT. They eat up bandwidth and provide no benefit to FTers. Their asinine "dialogue" is doing nothing but enraging all of us.

A captive customer audience is a huge benefit for PR reps looking to spread their press releases (read: propaganda); just cut them off, make them hurt.

FT and its userbase is about making flying better. These DL reps are about making flying worse.

Last edited by flargley; Aug 10, 2011 at 5:46 pm
Old Aug 10, 2011, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles (Silver), UA Mileage Plus, US Scareways, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
DL needs to survive for the sake of the good employees.

But its long term survival is put a risk by the current management team.

A company in the service industry cannot survive when the management is this tone deaf to customer concerns.
^
Old Aug 10, 2011, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by DL757ATL
Now we're up to 194 elites leaving Delta...even if half that amount leave, Delta will still lose a pretty handsome chunk of change.

Let's say that 100 of the people who say they're leaving actually leave and the average yearly spend is $10,000 (some lower and some much higher). That's a million bucks lost right there. Just think, Delta could've spent that million on fixing (or even attempting to fix) the SkyMiles program, which IMO, would pay off more in the long run.
Please feel free to point out how flawed my logic is .
I won't leave.

(To clarify... I won't be searching for a status match to another alliance, but I'll be damned if I'll go out of the way to fly DL when a more convenient or cheaper alternative is available. I've got all the miles I need on DL this year, now that the Keystone Kops in charge of DL have shown me how little value there would be to going for DM. )

Now I have additional motivation to stay, I want to beat them on their own turf.

I'm tired of being kicked around.

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; Aug 10, 2011 at 8:28 pm
Old Aug 10, 2011, 5:45 pm

This policy change was not an easy decision but it was the right one.
Michelle, simply reaffirming a bad decision isn't the "conversation" that was promised.

But in a way, I'm glad to have seen this. I don't have a very long iron in this fire. At the moment, I'm simply trying to use some old NW/DL miles that have been sitting around too long, and have gotten caught up in this policy change ONE DAY after a SkyMiles agent said I could make any change to the ticket I wanted right up to departure. Talk about bad timing.

But I see we're getting no where on this issue.

My current interest is mainly making my voice heard so that hopefully other airlines will see the folly of this, and won't follow suit.

When I take the trip, I certainly won't be looking around to consider whether to switch my loyalty from Star Alliance to Delta/SkyTeam. It would have been the perfect opportunity to catch a traveler, someone who only recently set foot on a Delta jet again for the first time in a few years, to show off Delta's international product, where the real money is made. But now, no matter what improvements or investments Delta has made in their product, and I know there've been many, with more in the pipeline, I've no interest in looking at Delta as an airline I'd want to commit any loyalty or dollars towards.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 5:53 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by VolareBene
This is blatant FF fleecing disguised by the number 1 million. Shame on you Delta. One step forward, two steps back.

where's the step forward
?

Or in the words spoken by Donald Sutherland, the "push" for every "pull"
Old Aug 10, 2011, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
So I was wrong. From Michelle's response, Delta was indeed targeting those who change from Mid-High awards to LOW awards within the 72 hour mark. At first they made it sound like they were just going after people who were not using award tickets by making them cancel ahead of time (which this policy actually had decent support here at FT, including myself)..BUT they got super greedy..and added this new stipulation that eliminated switching to LOW awards.

The sad thing is ALL this could be avoided if Delta fixed their award calendar and offered a REASONABLE amount of Low level awards way in advance, especially BE awards, and normal routing options of course, so searching at last minute wouldnt be necessary.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 6:00 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
So I was wrong. From Michelle's response, Delta was indeed targeting those who change from Mid-High awards to LOW awards within the 72 hour mark. At first they made it sound like they were just going after people who were not using award tickets by making them cancel ahead of time (which this policy actually had decent support here at FT, including myself)..BUT they got super greedy..and added this new stipulation that eliminated switching to LOW awards.

The sad thing is ALL this could be avoided if Delta fixed their award calendar and offered a REASONABLE amount of Low level awards way in advance, especially BE awards, and normal routing options of course, so searching at last minute wouldnt be necessary.
^
Old Aug 10, 2011, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Thank you for your feedback. Understandably, there has been a lot of traffic on this topic and we’ve been reviewing all your comments.
When a corporate rep follows 700+ angry posts from enraged customers with a bland, non-responsive "Thank you for your feedback," you know the "conversation" is over. As is the thinking customer's relationship with the company.

As previously stated, allowing changes within 72 hours would result in unused Award Seats... no changes will be allowed for a fee... It simply would not address the issue at hand - seats going unused.
That's patently silly, of course. They push poor Michelle out front here and make her say these crazy things. Like Saddam making Baghdad Bob tell the press Iraq was winning the war. Don't vilify the poor woman. She didn't write these lies, she's only reading them.

Repricing award seats down to market-standard levels doesn't mean they go unused. It means people get more value for their miles, which is counter to DL's interests.

Originally Posted by n301dp
What is the ulterior motive of this move?
It's obvious. In two words, currency management, which has become more important at DL than customer satisfaction.

Everyone has too many miles, mainly because of the Amex relationship. And there's less award inventory. This disaster and the "broken" (ha) award calendar are the natural consequences: DL has to make redemption harder and more costly. Forbidding close-in down-pricing is part of that strategy. DL calculates that the benefits of devaluation will outweigh negative customer sentiment.

All those huge mileage bonuses have led to this, and people who celebrated their bulging SM balances are seeing the other shoe drop now. As Tom Waits sang, the large print giveth and the small print taketh away.

I have said for a long time, ever since WorldPerks was dismantled, that DL is seeing how little of a loyalty program they can get away with operating. They're testing for a floor. Unless enough of you quit DL/SM (I quit in 2010, heh, heh) there will be another development like this soon enough -- termination of all low-tier BE awards, let's say.

As you know, titans of business vote DL among our most admired companies while the public at large votes DL among the most hated companies in America. They're both right. DL has turned in good business results while treating customers with profound indifference. Until now elites have tended to dismiss the "most hated" stuff and defend DL. But now, to paraphrase Pastor Niemoller, they come for you.

Perhaps this is the tipping point where the costs of lying to customers and gutting SkyMiles are finally seen by DL to outweigh the business benefits. But I bet not.

Last edited by BearX220; Aug 10, 2011 at 6:43 pm
Old Aug 10, 2011, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Dear Michelle,

I find your tone condescending and unprofessional....
As do I. I am still hurting over the untimely passing of my brother 2 weeks ago, he was an uncle to 8 of my young nieces and nephews. How callous can that uncle statement be?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by BearX220
She didn't write these lies, she's only reading them.
She isn't writing them, it's probably a team effort. I'm sure the answers have to get approval up the chain of command which is why she only posts here once a day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.