Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Plat Prem, UA Silver, Delta GM
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
ATL is very elite heavy and my success rate on flights into or out of ATL as a diamond are only about 60 percent (I was number six on the upgrade list as a DM from ATL to CHS recently and at least 10 people in coach boarded with PREM) so I wouldn't plan on getting an upgrade as an FO out of ATL.

I would never pay $63 for that short of a flight. If they don't do a PDM on the flight you'll be lucky to get two drinks in the air, I'd rather spend that money on a nice dinner.

I've never flown ATL/CLT but missed an upgrade last year one direction on a trip to CLT from DTW as a diamond.
Absolutely, I'm not expecting anything out of ATL, it's the return leg that I'm curious about. I was an AA Gold in ATL and actually did get an upgrade or two from there, curious how the flip side looks in this case. I'm also curious if the amount does in fact lower (especially as an FO vs GM vs PM). I've had status on NW and AA before, but now actually paying attention to how it works and using this year as an experiment. Will have good mix of flights and statuses and international to see how it works best for me.

I've had 2 jack and gingers on this flight before and was offered a third. For being an MD-88 and such a crazy short flight the crews have been pretty good. 40 mins in the air beats 4.5 hrs driving it, which I do every other week.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Today, I was offered:

$169 buy-up to first-class for DTW-DCA.

$235.91 for IAD-ATL.

$123 for ATL-DTW.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Offered $55 C+, $179 F for ATL to FLL, on my departure leg. Got $102 for FLL to ATL on the return and took that, but $179 seems steep for the departure leg. As of today, only 1 of 20 F seats taken so far. Thoughts? Chances the price might go down? Trip is 60 days out.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I've had an SEA-TPA ticket for a while now. I've already bought up on the return leg but for some odd reason though I had not been receiving offers for the outbound to TPA (on either leg - SEA-ATL or ATL-TPA). Today, and now within the upgrade window, I'm being offered ATL-TPA for $168 (no offer for SEA-ATL). I got excited when I saw the $168 because I would have jumped for SEA-ATL-TPA at $168 in a heartbeat. But not $168 for ATL-TPA.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K

I'm holding a $298 Q ticket for the 255 (lowest available when I booked last week ) ... I can probably get on the 655 via SDC, but paying the $89 upfare and SDCing to the 430 looks much more attractive

also noticing that the E fare isn't fixed, but rather a flat $25 discount from the lowest available Main Cabin fare ... which actually makes RM/marketing sense

Last edited by jrl767; Jan 10, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Trip to IAD in two weeks has FC offer for MSP-IAD leg at $179.47 and same for return flight several days later.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Just bought a round trip award ticket (N) for SMF-CLT. Return trip CLT-ATL-SMF being offered an upgrade for $248 to first class from the "my trips" page. If it was under $200 I might take it.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by LBJ
Trip to IAD in two weeks has FC offer for MSP-IAD leg at $179.47 and same for return flight several days later.
That's an expensive dinner. Save your money and hit the Air France or Turkish lounges at IAD before the flight, where you can drink bottomless champagne, get some brie cheese and, in the case of Turkish, eat a real good meal.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Just bought a round trip award ticket (N) for SMF-CLT. Return trip CLT-ATL-SMF being offered an upgrade for $248 to first class from the "my trips" page. If it was under $200 I might take it.
I feel like this is becoming a game ... like guessing which the door the prize is behind.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I feel like this is becoming a game ... like guessing which the door the prize is behind.
No joke, but this is DL's system...not like we asked for it.

Would be a lot more compelling if we were not upgraded to C+ at booking for free, and didn't have a 3 hour layover in ATL.

As it stands, I am going to get drinks and snacks for free in C+, and I would rather go spend $100 at OFS for dinner for the two of us than get two DL meals and a wider seat for a few hours at a total cost of $500.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Offered $55 C+, $179 F for ATL to FLL, on my departure leg. Got $102 for FLL to ATL on the return and took that, but $179 seems steep for the departure leg. As of today, only 1 of 20 F seats taken so far. Thoughts? Chances the price might go down? Trip is 60 days out.
bump on this offer...
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles DM, Hertz President Circle, Enterprise Platinum, IHG, BW Diamond Select, AA EXP
This is funny...Just booked a trip on a Tuesday in late April and paid $278 for (W-fare) one-way PHX-IND The first fare was/is $595 (P-fare). This is the offer that shows up in my booking as soon as I looked in My Trips.

Such a deal if I bundle and save LOL...so that would be $304 more than just booking first outright. Who the hell does RM think is that dumb?

Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by hotshot265
This is funny...Just booked a trip on a Tuesday in late April and paid $278 for (W-fare) one-way PHX-IND The first fare was/is $595 (P-fare). This is the offer that shows up in my booking as soon as I looked in My Trips.

Such a deal if I bundle and save LOL...so that would be $304 more than just booking first outright. Who the hell does RM think is that dumb?

They just hope that by showing you $600-something now that you'll feel like it's a great deal closer to departure when they offer it for only $350
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles

Others have tried to explain this by asserting that two different DL departments are involved, and neither knows (or, apparently, cares) what the other is doing. And, we are supposed to be OK with that.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

I literally lol'd when I read luxury blanket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.