Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by JBJ2435
How about SRQ>ATL>LAX ~60 days out, $1535 cash or 142,800 miles, nothing on the way out there...
I'd be curious as to:
  1. the price for a new booking in F
  2. whether a connection to a wide-body prices the same as a longer or shorter connection to a narrow-body
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Eddie98
I'm still waiting for my FCM from DTW-NGO offer. My offer from ATL-DTW went up to $505
Are there actually a lot of seats open?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
I'd be curious as to:
  1. the price for a new booking in F
  2. whether a connection to a wide-body prices the same as a longer or shorter connection to a narrow-body
New is $1987/$2094 depending on flights, keep in mind these are 757's to/from ATL-LAX, not lie flat seats, plus orig ticket cost $625 already... I'm not sure why it's so high for Saturday outbound, Friday return, but seems DL doesn't have much love for LAX lately, hardly ever see any FCM offers or if I do they are priced like this, so no thanks.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
TPA-LAX (nonstop, as well as ATL/SLC/DTW connections) ~$1100; RSW-ATL-LAX ~$1400 ... looks like SRQ is part of the issue
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: LH, DL
This explains price differences

Originally Posted by LBJ
What is the fare bucket availability for revenue tickets in the FC buckets (J/C/D/I/Z). The pricing for the upgrades seems to correlate with revenue bucket availability from what I've seen.
ATL - PHL 9/9/9/9/6 $117

PHL - ATL 9/9/9/9/4 $412

Now I understand. Thank you.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:54 am
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
This one makes me chuckle:

For reference, the current price to purchase a brand new first class ticket for this itinerary as a one-way is $653.00.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I cleared at the window Tuesday night for my Sunday ORD/DTW flight and there were four seats available when I looked at the seat map tuesday and still four available so they must not have upgraded any FO or Gold's. Someone in my office and is on that flight as a non-status and they are offering her the buy up from a c- aisle seat to F for $420 LOL. I'm surprised I cleared at the window if Delta thinks they can sell seats for that much. I joked with her that if she wants to sit up front that bad I'll give her my F seat for $200 cash and swap her seats LOL
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL PM
MSP-SFO. Saw the standard ~$180 offer after booking, but decided to just 'change' to the new fare as it was only $20 more ($200) and I was within 24 hours of originally booking. I found last time i did PWM on this route, the agents in the MSP Sky Club thought I had used an upgrade instrument and were unwilling to let me SDC to an earlier flight. It took a call and a hold to the Plat line to get it resolved.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:54 am

selling first class upgrades -- interesting experience booking just now on delta.com

i know some of you disagree with doing so on domestic flights, but i just booked a C+ fare on a short haul flight on delta.com. first class fares really climb during peak tourist travel times and, well, let's be honest: delta's domestic "first class" isn't all that amazing unless it's the first leg of an international flight. but i digress...

as i was selecting fares, the offered C+ fare on the flights i selected was ~$350 r.t. ($175 per passenger each way,) while the first class fare was ~$750 r.t.. (~$375 per passenger each way.) on a 3 hour flight between lunch and dinner, travelling between FLL and JFK (basically a commuter run on delta metal,) i'll happily sit in C+ to save more than 50% off of the lowest first class fare.

at check out, i was offered an upgrade to first for an additional $364 ($189 per passenger each way,) a slight discount off the lowest first class fare in the fare chart. i declined.

after paying for my C+ ticket, i checked "my trips" and immediately received this offer: a first class upgrade for $598 ($299 per passenger each way!!! well, $299.93, to be exact.)

that 's a penalty "offer" for not upgrading at checkout of ~$222!

now this just reeks of artificially trying to give pax FOMO, incentivising them to pay for first class upgrades at checkout.

in the past few years, i've received dirt cheap offers to upgrade for money/miles in the 24 hours before the flight... the beginning stages of monetizing even upgrades, i suppose. and for $89 each way, i can't say i felt cheated -- IN THE SHORT RUN -- if i took the bait.

i wonder if they have abandoned the cheap last minute, paid upgrade offer in favour of this model.

anyone care to chime in with your own experiences?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:18 am

You still are under the 24-hour risk-free policy if you decide to go back and book FC at the reduced price.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, AA PP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by deltamedallionflyer
i know some of you disagree with doing so on domestic flights, but i just booked a C+ fare on a short haul flight on delta.com. first class fares really climb during peak tourist travel times and, well, let's be honest: delta's domestic "first class" isn't all that amazing unless it's the first leg of an international flight. but i digress...

as i was selecting fares, the offered C+ fare on the flights i selected was ~$350 r.t. ($175 per passenger each way,) while the first class fare was ~$750 r.t.. (~$375 per passenger each way.) on a 3 hour flight between lunch and dinner, travelling between FLL and JFK (basically a commuter run on delta metal,) i'll happily sit in C+ to save more than 50% off of the lowest first class fare.

at check out, i was offered an upgrade to first for an additional $364 ($189 per passenger each way,) a slight discount off the lowest first class fare in the fare chart. i declined.

after paying for my C+ ticket, i checked "my trips" and immediately received this offer: a first class upgrade for $598 ($299 per passenger each way!!! well, $299.93, to be exact.)

now this just reeks of artificially trying to give pax FOMO, incentivising them to pay for first class upgrades at checkout.

in the past few years, i've received dirt cheap offers to upgrade for money/miles in the 24 hours before the flight... the beginning stages of monetizing even upgrades, i suppose. and for $89 each way, i can't say i felt cheated -- IN THE SHORT RUN -- if i took the bait.

i wonder if they have abandoned the cheap last minute, paid upgrade offer in favour of this model.

I feel like since they implemented the new "easy upgrade after booking via miles or money" approx 2 months ago the FCM offers have become consistently bad. The offers no longer appear to be discounted at any point after sale - the price is always the delta (hah) between fare paid and current fare available. That was often the case before, but sometimes they would incentive close in as you mention.

Last edited by BallardFlyer; Mar 11, 2019 at 9:30 am Reason: spelling
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
What happens if you buy up and then a cancelation forces a change? Do you get a refund if they can't put you in F on the rebooking?

I nearly pulled the trigger on the $95 LGA-MCI I posted upthread but decided against it. The flight wound up canceled the day before due to weather and I was rerouted LGA-ATL-MCI. I'm almost certain there was no F availability on the ATL-MCI leg. As it stood I couldn't get a seat assigned at all until a couple of hours out.l
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
One way D bucket first class ticket on 4/10 at 0820 DTW-LAS is $702.00. I'm flying on that flight as a part of a DCA-DTW-LAS itinerary (the National Association of Broadcasters convention is going on in Vegas that week); they are asking me for $885.00 to upgrade the DTW-LAS segment. Looks like I'll be enjoying cans of Miller Lite in C+.

I was able to upgrade my eastbound ticket for less than $250.00 when I booked this in late January.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by deltamedallionflyer

I would echo this sentiment. I booked a OW flight from JFK-SEA last night as part of a multi-leg trip to/from NAS. I paid 11K miles for Main Cabin; FC was being sold for 26K miles, a 15K mile premium, which isnt bad for a flight blocked at 6.5 hours. I held off because I have other flights coming up in which FC is more important to me. Immediately after booking, I checked the FCM offer and it was over $800. I'm sure it will go down as I get closer to the flight, but I got a chuckle out of that. Certainly wouldnt be a bad mileage redemption rate, at over 5 cents per mile!
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
Originally Posted by tearex
Are there actually a lot of seats open?
At the time of the post yes. As of today there is 3. The price has also gone up again from ATL-DTW to $783

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.