Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Just received a first-class buy-up offer for Detroit DTW–Columbus CMH and CMH–DTW, both ways on a CRJ-700. $74.18 for each segment.
That seems kind of steep for a 10-minute flight.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by DCAhome
There are some reasonable deals out there. I have a JFK-FRA flight this summer on a 767, and there was a FCM offer of $799 or 79,000 RDM. I took the bait for Mom and me to get Delta One seats over the pond, and thought that was a reasonable offer. Not a steal, but reasonable.
I did this for JFK-AMS two weeks ago.

Booked a RT JFK-AMS for June and the fare difference was also $700 between Y and Delta One for one leg Took the bait again.
DCAhome likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by azdmelani
I did this for JFK-AMS two weeks ago.

Booked a RT JFK-AMS for June and the fare difference was also $700 between Y and Delta One for one leg Took the bait again.
I'd rather spend the $700 on a hotel in Europe or good food and wine.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I'd rather spend the $700 on a hotel in Europe or good food and wine.
I think it's a pretty reasonable price (assuming the original coach ticket wasn't too expensive).
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I got an offer to upgrade to F for $395 for DTW to JFK. I'll pass.
AANYC1981 and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by MarkP24
I think it's a pretty reasonable price (assuming the original coach ticket wasn't too expensive).
I'm not disagreeing, but, for me, New York–Amsterdam is such a short flight that I probably wouldn't spend $700 on the upgrade unless the original ticket was well under $1,000. I would, however, consider using miles.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: DL SM, DL Amex Plat, Hilton Silver
Have you all had success with FCM offers on Trans-Atlantic flights? Wondering if I'll see one JFK-EDI in April.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: DL SM, DL Amex Plat, Hilton Silver
MarkP24: I currently have one for $701 so yours is a steal!
MarkP24 likes this.

Last edited by griffy208; Jan 31, 2019 at 7:10 am Reason: Tagging target poster
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:58 pm

I'm not disagreeing, but, for me, New York–Amsterdam is such a short flight that I probably wouldn't spend $700 on the upgrade unless the original ticket was well under $1,000. I would, however, consider using miles.
I gotcha. For the outbound (even though it's a shorter flight going east), as it's a night flight, I prefer to be in D1 so I can sleep and don't lose a day. For the return, it's less important, but if I can get it for a reasonable price, I'd like to.

Regarding using miles, the rates they're offering to use miles to upgrade vs. cash give you about 1.1 cent/ mile which is not enough to get me to use miles. I view miles as a form of payment too....
azdmelani and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by griffy208
MarkP24: I currently have one for $701 so yours is a steal!
It actually wasn't me with the offer, but it sounds like the $1 savings is truly a steal!
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by stillontheroad
Just went to check on an upcoming trip and was offered the opportunity to upgrade with dollars or miles. I found the offer amusing (to say the least)

SDF to ATL (322 mile flight) - $649.30/60,400 miles

ATL to OMA (820 mile flight) - $106.30/9900 miles

OMA to ATL - $106.43/9900 miles

ATL to SDF - $84.93/7900 miles

Seems like a lot of miles/dollars to upgrade from SDF to ATL on the outbound!! Any reason other than load for the difference in the cost?
Load or expected load. Did you check how many F seats were available on each segment?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Does DL have a practice of selling DOD upgrades to kettles?

I am new to DL and a kettle with them.

Does DL have a habit like UA does of selling domestic upgrades either during OLCI or through kiosks at the airport regardless of whether there are elites waiting for complimentary ups? Or are they more like AA in the sense of not releasing any upgrades for cash purchase unless the elite waitlist is empty?

Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
First Class Monetization is a phrase you will read a lot in the Delta forum.

Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
Yes DL has a program referred to as First Class Monitization or FCM. The offers are not guaranteed to appear, sometimes show up DOD or earlier if you check the reservation between making it and DOD. Reports are sometimes they are decent deals and sometimes overpriced. YMMV.

If you search FCM you will find multiple threads.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:44 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Paplover
Yes DL has a program referred to as First Class Monitization or FCM. The offers are not guaranteed to appear, sometimes show up DOD or earlier if you check the reservation between making it and DOD. Reports are sometimes they are decent deals and sometimes overpriced. YMMV.

If you search FCM you will find multiple threads.
Interesting. Is that distinct from this type of offer which I’m currently 3.5 days before departure for my midcon?

Based on price (more than the original cost of the Y RT ticket for OW in F), I assumed this was an upfare/ticket change offer as opposed to an upgrade. Is there the possibility that a more reasonably priced “upgrade” option will appear closer to departure? FWIW there are 8 F seats remaining at the moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.